Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

If I Fit New Tyres Will I Lose the Tyre Pressure Monitoring

Bumble The Van

Bumble The Van

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 204 4 motion
a really daft question but what is the actual typre pressure monitoring system with my cali ocean 2021 , its just that i want to fit new wheels and tyres and of course im certain i will lose the monitoring system in doing so wont i? any help gratefully received

The tyre pressure monitor is in the valve in the wheel so unless it was swapped to the new wheels you would lose it.

There are two kinds of tyre pressure monitoring systems available - active and passive.

Active: You’ll see individual tyre pressures on your dashboard (MFD) in psi/bar etc.
This uses wireless transmitters at the base of each tyre valve stem and to keep using it with new wheels you need to swap these over to the new set or buy another set for the new wheels. They should pair with the car automatically when the tyre starts rotating. They’re not that cheap and can be broken by careless tyre fitters.

Passive: You don’t see any tyre pressures but you’ll be alerted to any potential drop in tyre pressure because a flat or low pressure tyre will be rotating at a different speed to the others - the ABS system picks this up and flags a warning on the dashboard. You can change tyres and sizes but you have to reset the system every time you inflate the tyres to the desired pressure so that it knows that’s the starting point. There’s no additional hardware such as transmitters in this system. It just uses the ABS sensors to work it out.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

There are two kinds of tyre pressure monitoring systems available - active and passive.

Active: You’ll see individual tyre pressures on your dashboard (MFD) in psi/bar etc.
This uses wireless transmitters at the base of each tyre valve stem and to keep using it with new wheels you need to swap these over to the new set or buy another set for the new wheels. They should pair with the car automatically when the tyre starts rotating. They’re not that cheap and can be broken by careless tyre fitters.

Passive: You don’t see any tyre pressures but you’ll be alerted to any potential drop in tyre pressure because a flat or low pressure tyre will be rotating at a different speed to the others - the ABS system picks this up and flags a warning on the dashboard. You can change tyres and sizes but you have to reset the system every time you inflate the tyres to the desired pressure so that it knows that’s the starting point. There’s no additional hardware such as transmitters in this system. It just uses the ABS sensors to work it out.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
brilliantly clear answer thank you so much !

Back