Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

"Pressure cracked" tyres - why, and what now?

H

haydnw2

VIP Member
Vehicle
Cali now sold
A main dealer health check has reported that our tyres are 'pressure cracked' and sure enough there is some cracking starting to appear on the outside edges of the tyres. Two of the tyres were on the vehicle when we got it six months ago, and two came from a different set of wheels. Does 'pressure cracked' mean due to the pressure of a heavy vehicle and perhaps lack of use during lockdown, or over-inflation? If the former, might something like the Fiamma Tyre Saver help redistribute the pressure over a wider area in future? The tyres have plenty of tread left so I don't really want to lose them or any future ones due to cracking if possible!

A main dealer health check has reported that our tyres are 'pressure cracked' and sure enough there is some cracking starting to appear on the outside edges of the tyres. Two of the tyres were on the vehicle when we got it six months ago, and two came from a different set of wheels. Does 'pressure cracked' mean due to the pressure of a heavy vehicle and perhaps lack of use during lockdown, or over-inflation? If the former, might something like the Fiamma Tyre Saver help redistribute the pressure over a wider area in future? The tyres have plenty of tread left so I don't really want to lose them or any future ones due to cracking if possible!
They need changing. Doesn't matter how much tread they have left I'm afraid. They are dangerous to you and other road users. Tyres have a lifespan of about 5 years from manufacture.
Do you use the vehicle all year round or just the summer?

Change them. Tyres are the only thing connecting you to the road.

Out of interest, what is the exact spec/size of these tyres?

They need to be changed.

The alternative is that it blows whilst travelling (with the air expanding due to heat) and having a blowout at 60/70mph.

No doubt. You should change them.

You can check how old your tyres are by looking at the DOT code that is embossed on the wall of the tyre near the wheel rim.

This is a series of two groups of letters and one set of 4 numbers. The numbers are the manufacture week followed by the year, i.e. 4819 this is the last week of November in 2019.

If the year is older than 5 years and as thy are showing cracking, then do replace them.

Alan

This is what happened to my 7yr old tyres driving on a motorway. I felt that the Gods were on my side so I changed them!
IMG_1830.jpeg

• Wow
Reactions: Sad
Back