Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

IKEA inside my VW T6 California Ocean

Chili's VW T6 California Ocean Note(9) - IKEA inside my Cali. My name is Chili from Taipei, Taiwan. I'm always crazy about RV camping and want to share what I experience everything about the VW camper. Although the video is narrated in Mandarin, please turn on the Closed Caption in English or another language. Please feel free to leave any comments.

Hi Chili, Just wanted to say great video! I was just praising it up in a different thread! I am new to the club we don’t pick our Cali up yet but we watched your video on YouTube & will definitely be scheduling a trip to Ikea!

Ikea in UK now have the OLEBY motion sensor lights, at least in Bristol my Mum just bought some
I bought the OLEBY motion sensor lights in Yellow yesterday in IKEA in Dublin were €6 now down to €2 per pack of two.

I’ve had no luck (on 2 separate purchases) with those oleby lights used as shown here. Fine for a week or so, but then run down, despite me checking they are turning off when the cupboards close. The OP suggests using rechargeable batteries in them, perhaps suggesting my problem wasn’t isolated.
I took them back in an attempt to inform ikea they had a problem (rather than fight for my £4), but they couldn’t seem to understand....just insisting they were fine when fitted with new batteries....yes, I got that!

Having fitted my Olebys in the wardrobe and found them to be really useful it was only a short time before they stopped working. I assume that the hangers in there are swinging about, when driving, triggering the things so flattening the batteries.

Grrrr

I found them to be useless. The magnetic force that holds the main part to the back is too week for use in an environment such as a campervan hence the two parts separate when on the move. The batteries also run down very quickly. I have used rechargeable batteries but they only last a couple of weeks. Great idea but not for this application :(

I have the Ikea Ramsta's (3€) since some 8 months. They're LED's with pushbutton, so no problem with moving objects. You just have to put a tiny little bit of double tape between the grips. I aIso used the double tape disk that came along with it (in stead of counting on the magnet). Never had them falling down since. Also did not need to change batteries yet.

IMG_E3221.jpg

I have installed these in past campervan conversions I’ve done. However, I have removed the 230v transformer and connected to the leisure battery using inline fuse and added a switch.

https://www.ikea.com/gb/en/products...dioder-multi-use-lighting-white-art-80420554/

How difficult would it be to get a cable from leisure battery fuseholder to the cupboard area...?
I have wondered about installing these in the cupboards and wardrobes and perhaps having a door switch to turn off and on

I have installed these in past campervan conversions I’ve done. However, I have removed the 230v transformer and connected to the leisure battery using inline fuse and added a switch.

https://www.ikea.com/gb/en/products...dioder-multi-use-lighting-white-art-80420554/

How difficult would it be to get a cable from leisure battery fuseholder to the cupboard area...?
I have wondered about installing these in the cupboards and wardrobes and perhaps having a door switch to turn off and on
Not too difficult. I run a cable for the rear dashcam camera along that route recently.

You can remove and replace the trim on the B pillar quite easily, the only fiddle is getting the seat belt slide back in place. It hooks in place on the kitchen window side and clips under the rubber trim beside the door. Ease out the door side first.

You can push a cable along above the kitchen easily too. Comes out above the rear cupboard.

I found there is a row of empty fuse holders under the passenger seat that have a power supply, but do not feed anything. I used a piggy back fuse holder to pick up the power I needed from one of these. Mine were beside the 3 x 15amp 12v socket fuses. However I do also know that the wiring changes between vans, so may not be the case in your Cali.

Alan

Not too difficult. I run a cable for the rear dashcam camera along that route recently.

You can remove and replace the trim on the B pillar quite easily, the only fiddle is getting the seat belt slide back in place. It hooks in place on the kitchen window side and clips under the rubber trim beside the door. Ease out the door side first.

You can push a cable along above the kitchen easily too. Comes out above the rear cupboard.

I found there is a row of empty fuse holders under the passenger seat that have a power supply, but do not feed anything. I used a piggy back fuse holder to pick up the power I needed from one of these. Mine were beside the 3 x 15amp 12v socket fuses. However I do also know that the wiring changes between vans, so may not be the case in your Cali.

Alan

Cheers Alan.
Will try and take a look when I get a chance. I have some dioders kicking around at work.
Here is the tech spec, if anyone is interested

3D2F3813-F2D8-4739-9263-E1CCE65F851B.jpeg

View attachment 30710 View attachment 30709
Found ‘em in Reading Ikea. (2m barrier to car park).
I bought a number of these.....two major issues.....1. The sticky pad is not strong enough to hold the light permanently 2. The magnets that hold the two halves together is not strong enough. To overcome 1, I have used a couple of small self tapping screws (make sure that the screws do not foul cables etc. To overcome 2, I have used a cable tie to join the two halves - not too tight so that I can replace batteries. Otherwise good value at £5 for two lights.

I did the Ikea thing to Scotty at the weekend. Kuggis lid inside the kitchen drawer with a cut down bendable chopping board inside that. Stacked Kuggis (the £7 and £5 one) in the Kitchen cupboard and a couple of Variera that just jumped into my bag whilst walking around.

All from suggestions seen on the forum

Thanks to TeamJones for the information. I’ve transformed our kitchen cupboards with the IKEA Kuggis boxes. A spare lid fits the drawer perfectly to create a little table. Some before and after photos attached. I’ve no doubt they’ll get reorganised by Mrs Ashcroft!D4E11F1E-48BE-4976-A2A0-EEB87020AF82.jpeg 1B906D8E-796C-4EAF-B175-9F49E2EBBEC3.jpeg0BC300D6-7463-4313-9BFE-C081E4AAB62D.jpeg D4E11F1E-48BE-4976-A2A0-EEB87020AF82.jpeg 61A26C91-221A-4909-9629-98E716A9A0C7.jpeg0A60B3F7-C35B-452B-9081-ACA43090ADF9.jpeg

267A86A7-276B-43D4-85E9-6EE958714ADE.jpeg

Great Ikea Fridge spacer idea to stop items freezing or getting wet at the bottom... Ikea 203.187.24...

Last edited:
Hi there!
I am from the Netherlands, but at the moment travelling around in Denmark. I would like to share two pics with all of you about how we store our clothes in the back of our Cali. I bought these two boxes at Ikea’s.For my hb and me this solution works very well. Today we are going to play a round of golf, but normally underneath these two boxes we store our ( travelling) golf bags! Tonight i will make a picture of that. Enjoy your day!
Tiger5

027B8E48-11A1-4A72-AEA4-9C2D936D3B6B.jpeg

88337184-4C2E-4D88-915F-FB798CA2BC06.jpeg

Ps; they cost around €14,00 each if i remember well. I enforced the sides with some duck tape, but in fact they were not damaged or so..!

Hi Tiger5,

Like the solution with the ikea boxes, but what do you do with them if you go to sleep? Do they fit equally wel on the front seats?

Do you know the name of the bags?

Kind regards,

Bram

I’ve just found this thread. Thank you. Going to ikea tomorrow but as your post was 2019 I’m not sure the prices are correct.
Do you have the sizes of each box ect so I get the right ones. I’d really appreciate if you had the time
Thanks
Richard

Thanks to TeamJones for the information. I’ve transformed our kitchen cupboards with the IKEA Kuggis boxes. A spare lid fits the drawer perfectly to create a little table. Some before and after photos attached. I’ve no doubt they’ll get reorganised by Mrs Ashcroft!View attachment 41521 View attachment 41516View attachment 41520 View attachment 41521 View attachment 41517View attachment 41518

View attachment 41523
Know this is an old post - I did the same using a lid, also put the Ikea flexible chopping mat on top - giving it 2 uses.

I’ve just found this thread. Thank you. Going to ikea tomorrow but as your post was 2019 I’m not sure the prices are correct.
Do you have the sizes of each box ect so I get the right ones. I’d really appreciate if you had the time
Thanks
Richard
How did you get on Richard? We’re just back from a long awaited trip to IKEA (!) and I couldn’t see what I assumed to be the smaller of the two boxes, either in store or online.

They had a box with lid for £9, size 26x35x15cm - I presumed this was the £7 large one referred to back in 2019. The next size down was pretty tiny and cost £4.

It’s so tricky trying to work out sizes when you don’t have a van. Not sure what people made of us, stood in IKEA watching the California Time You Tube channel, trying to work out box sizes from their hands haha!

How did you get on Richard? We’re just back from a long awaited trip to IKEA (!) and I couldn’t see what I assumed to be the smaller of the two boxes, either in store or online.

They had a box with lid for £9, size 26x35x15cm - I presumed this was the £7 large one referred to back in 2019. The next size down was pretty tiny and cost £4.

It’s so tricky trying to work out sizes when you don’t have a van. Not sure what people made of us, stood in IKEA watching the California Time You Tube channel, trying to work out box sizes from their hands haha!

Assuming you mean the shorter boxes that are the same width and length as the larger boxes (and sit on top of them), I found that they are no longer sold too. I found some that are a very similar size and I expect work just as well. They don’t come with lids but I don’t believe people use the lids on those boxes:

I also got a couple of these, they fit nicely at the side of the larger boxes on both shelves under the hob:

I can post a photo tomorrow of them in the cupboards if that helps?

Back