Important tip to secure a Cali for preventing it be stolen

H

Hotel California

Super Poster
VIP Member
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
Cali now sold
Have you ever wonderd what the numbers on the bottom of the front windscreen left are....?
image.jpg
Well it's the indentification nr. of your precious Cali .
If one writes it down when your Cali is parked on the drive or parkinglot , and knows his way arround , they can get a spare key and simply drive of in your Cali.
Thats why mine looks like this....
image.jpg
Just a pice of black paper , slide between the dash and the window.
Easy .....
It's no 100% anti theft but it can be a week point.
Haven't tested if one can easy order a spare key without any further legimitation , but i got a spare key at my dealer , they just needed that VIN number ( Vehicle Identification Number)
Can imagine one with intetions of steeling cars got connections and have the possibility to oder spare keys.

Last edited:
omg thats scary. Thanks for the tip. worth doing just incase.

It's like : here is my code , the bankcard sits in the glovebox...dumd thing my opinion

might check with my vw garage if its that easy, surely it cant be. but some criminals are clever, and probably have their own way of getting into one easily. probably a few trolling this forum, looking for vehicle locations. im getting too paranoid :Nailbiting:Nailbiting

It only takes one garage to believe a plausible story for someone to have their Cali nicked.

Thinking about it, I got a replacement locking wheel nut socket for my Mazda without so much as a question as to whether I owned one.

You need to make it as less attractive as one can for those with bad intentions....

Last edited:
Whenever I have had to get an extra key, the garage has insisted on the V5 being presented together with the VIN. Even more so nowadays with the electronic keys.

You can get a "surf key" easily enough but all that will do is open the door and set off the alarm. It will not start the engine.

If you have the reg number you can get the chassis number off any vehicle check web site along with colour,engine number and full spec etc. so can't see the point in covering the vin number.

Also if you are stopped by the police then they might ask why you have obscured the VIN number, so make sure you can get the paper out if asked. I think all modern cars have the VIN on display, so it is not something I will be worrying about.

I would like to find out if anyone on the forum has had experience with installing a Bearlock security system in their Cali.

Doing a little research ... seems that there are no UK suppliers/installers and that this security device is only available on the continent to be installed.

I'd prefer the idea of a non electronic additional security device - no battery drain / no clever new software to bypath the alarm system and no subscription fees.

No so keen on carrying a Stoplock or other device around.

http://www.bear-lock.de/index.php/vw/vw-transporter--bus

Interesting to hear your thoughts

I believe a few of our Continental members have them fitted. Takes about a day to fit, in Belgium.

I would like to find out if anyone on the forum has had experience with installing a Bearlock security system in their Cali.

Doing a little research ... seems that there are no UK suppliers/installers and that this security device is only available on the continent to be installed.

I'd prefer the idea of a non electronic additional security device - no battery drain / no clever new software to bypath the alarm system and no subscription fees.

No so keen on carrying a Stoplock or other device around.

http://www.bear-lock.de/index.php/vw/vw-transporter--bus

Interesting to hear your thoughts

You can read my thoughts here ....:D
http://vwcaliforniaclub.com/threads/bearlock-installed.4860/#post-86039

Last edited:
These ideas really useful. I can't slide paper down to obscure the windscreen vin, may try thin plastic.
From the promo vid, wonder is the Bearlock, handed / LHD fitment ? Anything that is visible from external, and makes the idea of theft of vehicle or contents, less attractive to a thief, especially when vehicle is parked unattended in a remote car park or location is of interest. Other tips, registration clearly etched into glass, always leave steering on a slight lock, to prevent winching onto the back or a recovery vehicle, these are high value vehicles.

Rob H.

Many thanks for your responses - considering the value of our vans and hassle factor should it get nicked ... I think it makes sense to install a non electronic security device in our Cali - that way the van can not driven away. Ok if someone wants to lift the van on a low loader ... a bear-locks offer no protection.

I believe the only 'external' visual is a sticker ...

my question to Hotel Cali ... is your Cali a LHD or RHD? I have made contact with the Bear-Lock team in Germany (all very helpful) but they can not confirm if this device will fit on RHD Cali ... :rolleyes: ... kind of important

cheers

Surely it must be handed as the gear stick is on the other side of the console. What's more the RHD do not have the multivan console so fitting nay have further differences?

Think it can be installed on a Rhd , but never seen it .... As most here are Lhd .
Try and contact a dealer in the Uk that places them.
Or Bearlock themself.

Back