Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Beware Spare Wheels Stolen

My local tyre center doesn't even seem keen to carry out a puncture these days
The puncture is either because it's to far to one side,in the center,walls have collapsed etc,etc,but we can sell you a good second hand tyre!
In all honesty though they do sell good second hand Tyres not much more than the price of a puncture repair

Alan

My local tyre center doesn't even seem keen to carry out a puncture these days
The puncture is either because it's to far to one side,in the center,walls have collapsed etc,etc,but we can sell you a good second hand tyre!
In all honesty though they do sell good second hand Tyres not much more than the price of a puncture repair

Alan

And then they sell your repaired tyre to the next punter!

I tried to buy a "part worn" tyre a few years ago in Bristol. The fitter said he had one out the back and would go and find it. Took him 10 mins or so, which made me wonder a bit. I asked for a look at it and the carcass was warm to the touch. He had ground off a bulge in the sidewall. I declined his offer explaining why. He said, "nothing wrong with that, all the taxis use them." Filled me with confidence.

A bit of advice please. I want to secure my spare wheel on my Cali. Should I use the Sparesafe or the VW item? What are the pro's and Con's? Why are there two bolt lengths available with the VW kit? (type of wheels?).

This.....No.1
2665-99b5d8eb1b025c27e07c3e37d24bd40e.jpg

or this?...No.2
img_2960.jpg

Any advice / comment gratefully received.

I went for the spare safe - recommended. Not sure why there are two lengths listed but I think you may need the longer one for the locking device. I ordered my soaresafe from the club including the bolt. Very happy with it. Sorry I can't answer all your questions.

I went for the first one (1.) as it also covers a section of exposed bolt thread above the bracket.

One word of warning, I have found that the Sparesafe can catch on the road surface going up ramps and steeper slopes if you have lowered your van. Makes a horrible noise and bends the wheel carrier a little.

Alan

Just received my sparesafe, looks very robust.

The one thing that nearly got my thou was the black plastic cap for the bolt, it is now a shiny metal cap and when fitted to the security bolt it makes it looks like a normal bolt

Took me a while to relies that the cap came off to access security bolt head. Lol

Last edited:
I wouldn't bother putting the black plastic cap on when you fit your Sparesafe as it can be a pita to remove, just lightly oil the threads and head of the new bolt :thumb

I had never thought about the spare wheel being stolen? Is this quite common? Where can I buy a sparesafe ?

We had the VW locking bolt which the thieves removed to easily they are just lowlife's :mad:

I had never thought about the spare wheel being stolen? Is this quite common? Where can I buy a sparesafe ?

Yeah get the one with the locking wheel nut.

Without a sparesafe anyone with a socket can take your spare sadly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Looks like this is still going on, our neighbour had their spare stolen on Friday night whilst his Caravelle was on his drive, thankfully mine is still there even though we only have the standard VW locking bolt as did our neighbour, seriously considering a sparesafe now! Wonder where all these spare wheels are ending up?

Looks like this is still going on, our neighbour had their spare stolen on Friday night whilst his Caravelle was on his drive, thankfully mine is still there even though we only have the standard VW locking bolt as did our neighbour, seriously considering a sparesafe now! Wonder where all these spare wheels are ending up?
Not called the Bay of Evil for nothing!!

ad their spare stolen on Friday night whilst his Caravelle was on his drive, thankfully mine is still there

until they want another one to sale on

Wheels and tyres come up in the for sale and wanted section here. There's a set of 4 unused recently. Depends on your preference of size and style of course.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2 of my neighbours had theirs stolen from the street outside our house and another neighbour from the beach whilst he was windsurfing. It really is very easy to take them off the cradle, unless of course it is dark, raining and on the hard shoulder when you need to do it. It will cost a lot more to buy a new tyre and steel wheel than to buy a spare safe.

Just discovered this weekend our spare had been stolen from our T6 Beach!!:punch Interestingly my wife had gone to Legoland last week - Me thinks this might be the scene of the crime. We had purchased the locking wheel nut from VW but it appears to have the same lock as all the others. I wonder if you could use one of the nuts from the main wheels. Does anybody know what size the spare wheel is and whether its and alloy like the other 4 or a simple steel rimmed wheel. It's the standard 16" inch wheel.

Just discovered this weekend our spare had been stolen from our T6 Beach!!:punch Interestingly my wife had gone to Legoland last week - Me thinks this might be the scene of the crime. We had purchased the locking wheel nut from VW but it appears to have the same lock as all the others. I wonder if you could use one of the nuts from the main wheels. Does anybody know what size the spare wheel is and whether its and alloy like the other 4 or a simple steel rimmed wheel. It's the standard 16" inch wheel.
I believe others have gone whilst at Legoland

I'm presuming you didn't have one of these?
https://vwcaliforniaclub.com/shop/p...l-locking-device-including-locking-wheel-bolt

Bad luck

Mike

Back