Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Beware Spare Wheels Stolen

Just checked mine and they are the same.

Just had a look at my sparesafe and looks the same as all the others, all the vulnerable bits are protected and tbh the only way you could remove it is with an angle grinder, let's face it, if someone is going to use an angle grinder they would nick the spare no matter what? The SS is just for opportunist tea leafs.

My Cali doesn't have a spare just a compressor and a tube of goo, original spec from the factory, TBH, I thought they were all like that? Surely a better option, less weight to carry round for 99% of the time, only issue would be a blowout I guess.....

The difference between the photos is due to the spare wheel holder having two positions - one, which is higher up for 205/ 215 width tyre and a lower position which accommodates the 235 width tyre on calis with 17" wheels. I know this because I had a wheel stolen and bought a cheaper 205 steel to replace it, this meant I had to change the position of the front pin and then I cut down the two aluminium spacers at the back. Trust me they take a lot of cutting! Hope that helps...

Steve.

Decided on a last minute trip to legoland on Saturday to cheer up my 7 year old son who's been ill for quite some time.We took the Cali to add some fun factor to the journey only to find the spare had been stolen upon our return!! Fuming,vw locking wheel nut must be made of cheese!

A bit of a common occurence sadly there from all accounts :( Sorry to hear. I fitted a spare safe to mine, and so far so good. Although I haven't been to Legoland.

Type "legoland" into the search box at the top of this site and you will see you are not alone!
It Must be a legoland car park attendant surely looking at the number of thefts.

If it has happend multiple times with members from this forum , who knows how many on total must have been stolen there ! Sure many T5 's must have parked up there....
Time to inform the police / check if there are camera's on the site .
Must be the same who keeps coming back for those wheels....

Even more annoying because I dropped the beach off at wooburn green as a trade in against a demo se and they expect me to pay for the new wheel and tyre..

Not just this forum - I saw a thread on the T5 forum from someone who had also had their spare stolen from there.
Pretty disgraceful on legoland's part that nothing is being done to stop this.

Sent from my Galaxy S6

Thanks guys,I've just found out it was only a steel wheel and tyre they stole and apparently the ex demo I'm getting is the same deal! Not sure if I haven't been robbed twice :mad::confused::headbang

Type "legoland" into the search box at the top of this site and you will see you are not alone!
It Must be a legoland car park attendant surely looking at the number of thefts.

How can you say that, be sure of your facts first. !!!!!!!

John

Given over the last few years the number of spares wheels stolen from Legoland from T5's / Cali's & discussed on various forums which I would expect is only a very small % of those that are taken & given the amount they charge for you to park someone needs to take their story to "watchdog" or some other consumer body. For those who have had wheel taken are the Police taking any action at this crime hot spot. (or not as they see it as a Legoland issue) As Matt said a bait Cali would be a very interesting.

Also leave your full reviews on Trip advisor if you have your wheel stolen

Last edited:
Wouldn't you have thought that having something as valuable as these spare wheels being so venerable to theft that the car manufacturers would incorporate a tamper alarm incorporated within the alarm system !
I wouldn't have thought it could be that difficult when you see how high tech the industry has grown

Alan

Has any one used a Tyre Sealant. I have been advised that Slime is good as it still allows the tyre to be repaired.
The only safe way to keep the wheel/tyre is to leave it out of site in the boot. I think for short breaks and local runs this is what we'll do. However,for the tours we'll lock it to the cradle and hope...although, from what i hear the police have noticed it merely cause more damage to the van if the scmbags are that determined.
I used a tin of tyre sealant on our car when I picked up a rapid puncture at our local tip. It worked well enough to get me to a nearby tyre centre. We do have a brand new spare but I then carried a tin of sealant to save all the faff of emptying out the boot etc etc on a dark rainy night in the back of beyond but not any more!
The tyre was only a few weeks old and the hole was in the centre of the tread so probably suitable for a repair. However even though the information on the sealant tin stated that its use doesn't stop a repair being carried out, the staff told me that as I had used the stuff they couldn't or wouldn't repair it. They wouldn't be persuaded.
Does anyone know the reason why a tyre "contaminated" with tyre sealant cannot be repaired? Or have I been fobbed off in order that they could sell me another new tyre?

Funny....but true......

As I was away last weekend....on my return home my Vespa indicated that it's alarm had been triggered in my absense.

One of my neighbours, Ted who is 74....told me that a couple of old geezers had sat on my Vespa and set off it's alarm....after he managed to get off and wondered what to do next....Ted told them to bugger off...and as is the way here the old guys just looked and pondered.......

I used a tin of tyre sealant on our car when I picked up a rapid puncture at our local tip. It worked well enough to get me to a nearby tyre centre. We do have a brand new spare but I then carried a tin of sealant to save all the faff of emptying out the boot etc etc on a dark rainy night in the back of beyond but not any more!
The tyre was only a few weeks old and the hole was in the centre of the tread so probably suitable for a repair. However even though the information on the sealant tin stated that its use doesn't stop a repair being carried out, the staff told me that as I had used the stuff they couldn't or wouldn't repair it. They wouldn't be persuaded.
Does anyone know the reason why a tyre "contaminated" with tyre sealant cannot be repaired? Or have I been fobbed off in order that they could sell me another new tyre?
I think it depends on the type of sealant. I have heard that some sealants can ruin tyres so fitters have to replace them.
I've got a can of Slime sealant which is tyre safe according to the blurb.
Perhaps the fitters are just playing on the safe side to avoid litigation

Sent from my Galaxy S6

I was told its because it is a real pain to get clean enough to get repair to stick well enough.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Or have I been fobbed off in order that they could sell me another new tyre?[/QUOTE said:
Fobbed off. Very few tyres are repaired nowadays compared to replacement of the tyre. Many lease vehicles just have the tyre replaced.
There is absolutely no reason that the sealant cannot be cleaned out, most are water soluble, and the tyre repaired safely, if it can be repaired. The trouble is that often their is tyre wall damage if the tyre has been run for any distance under inflated.

Thanks WelshGas,
As I suspected. The distance between the tip and the tyre centre was about 4 hundred yards so the tyre was OK apart from the hole.

Back