Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Security Bolts for Bike Rack

Goldie

Goldie

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Beach 150
After reading of the problems of the Cali bike racks being stolen I decided to look for a solution to make it more difficult for the opportunist thief who knows that all he needs is the right hex key, a van that is not backed up against a wall and five minutes: I don't sleep well at night :sad

There are a number of different security bolts available, but the problem is finding the right size (M6 x 60) and ensuring that you can get the tool on the head of the bolt. The Kinmar and Tri-Head bolts looked good but wouldn't work due to needing a key that goes over the head which is recessed.

I decided to go for two different bolts, a Pin-Hex on one side and a Pin-Torx on the other to make it more difficult / confusing (see picture of the original hex alongside these two). It doubles the cost, but is a small amount compared to the value of the rack.

Due to having to buy a minimum of 10 of each bolt, I decided to buy a couple extra wrenches and see if anyone wants to purchase a set at cost price. So I have two sets which includes: 1 x Pin Hex Wrench + 2 Pin Hex Bolts, 1 x Torx Hex Wrench + 2 Pin Torx Bolts at £16 plus postage. (2 of each bolt lets you have a spare of each, or you can use 2 of the same.)

I also have 2 sets of bolts (2 of each) at £5 plus postage.

Please PM me if you are interested rather than replying through the forum.

Obviously there is no guarantee this will work (your risk), but it will make things more difficult for those thieves who are expecting the standard hex bolt and don't come fully prepared. A much more secure option is to fill the bolt head with plastic metal and drill out the head if you want to remove the rack.

For security reasons I have posted this in the technical section that is only available to members.

Andy

IMAG0023[1].jpg

Excellent idea.

A much more secure option is to fill the bolt head with plastic metal and drill out the head if you want to remove the rack.

Or get security bolts with shear heads.

The thing that would worry me about the shear bolts is the the amount of torque required to shear them. You could be damaging the edge of the tailgate before they sheared off.

Back