Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Incorrect spec

M

Moggymog

Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 204 4 motion
Hi guys,

Feel like the joy & excitement of collecting my new Cali next week is vanishing as I've just found out that the wheels I specified are incorrect. :headbang

I ordered through Drive the Deal and on the confirmation letter it clearly states "non-cost option: 17" Woodstock black diamond turned surface alloy wheels" along with a few other options.
The dealer then received this from DtD and when talking with the dealer afterwards I decided to make a few changes, which he asked me to email to confirm (fair enough). I did this stating one option that I wanted to remove and a few to add, but no mention of changing any wheels from the initial order.

I then had an order form sent to me from the dealer to sign with these options - this listed the options we'd discussed and so all looked good (spoiler.....no mention of wheels of any sort).

The dealer is saying that I signed the order and they have provided what I signed for, but I'm adamant that my email only amended the original DtD order and as there was no mention of wheels on the order form, how was I supposed to spot "their" mistake?

Am I "flogging a dead horse"? ......or should they rectify their mistake?

What wheels did you get instead?

If you swap the wheels over you’ll probably find you can sell them easily on here for a decent price.
So don't cry about it......at least it's fixable
You are probably right but when you're spending the best part of 80K you expect them to at least tick the right boxes don't you?

Hi guys,

Feel like the joy & excitement of collecting my new Cali next week is vanishing as I've just found out that the wheels I specified are incorrect. :headbang

I ordered through Drive the Deal and on the confirmation letter it clearly states "non-cost option: 17" Woodstock black diamond turned surface alloy wheels" along with a few other options.
The dealer then received this from DtD and when talking with the dealer afterwards I decided to make a few changes, which he asked me to email to confirm (fair enough). I did this stating one option that I wanted to remove and a few to add, but no mention of changing any wheels from the initial order.

I then had an order form sent to me from the dealer to sign with these options - this listed the options we'd discussed and so all looked good (spoiler.....no mention of wheels of any sort).

The dealer is saying that I signed the order and they have provided what I signed for, but I'm adamant that my email only amended the original DtD order and as there was no mention of wheels on the order form, how was I supposed to spot "their" mistake?

Am I "flogging a dead horse"? ......or should they rectify their mistake?
I don’t think that anything said in reply can address your question.
The issue is whether you are prepared to stand your ground or not, and that’s a personal decision.
Surely you have a copy of the original spec and of the agreed changes and if wheels of choice are listed and not subsequently amended then you have grounds to challenge.
Best of luck :thumb

I don’t think that anything said in reply can address your question.
The issue is whether you are prepared to stand your ground or not, and that’s a personal decision.
Surely you have a copy of the original spec and of the agreed changes and if wheels of choice are listed and not subsequently amended then you have grounds to challenge.
Best of luck :thumb
Thank you Kev......was just angry and needed to vent

It's clearly their mistake but as I signed the form they are standing firm that I should have flagged it up then.

Might be buying and selling some wheels next week :thumb

Have you already seen the actual wheels on your cali ? Maybe they deliver the ones you chose after all ..

Yes - disappointing but not really mission critical. Wheels are easily changed. Its quite fun! You can go for a different look from time to time! I reckon when you get it and get to use it the precise aesthetics of wheels will seem irrelevant. Enjoy!

Last edited:
Have you already seen the actual wheels on your cali ? Maybe they deliver the ones you chose after all ..
Not likely the way the dealer is already getting agressive - they know they messed up but are not budging.

Woodstocks are diamond turned a will corrode guarantee 100%.

Aracaju Looks decent easy clean, will not corrode as diamond turn alloys, work out a compo deal with the dealer or make them put a full set of Woodstocks on ? as the mistake is not yours, alternatively reject the vehicle and as the song goes “go back to the start “

This is not knocking you, this is suggesting you take the lead in coming to a suitable resolution to your satisfaction

Last edited:
Woodstocks are diamond turned a will corrode guarantee 100%.

Aracaju Looks decent easy clean, will not corrode as diamond turn alloys, work out a compo deal with the dealer or make them put a full set of Woodstocks on ? as the mistake is not yours, alternatively reject the vehicle and as the song goes “go back to the start “

This is not knocking you, this is suggesting you take the lead in coming to a suitable resolution to your satisfaction
:agreed Yeah a compo deal would make sense to me - with that and the sale of the Aracaju's I could get something even nicer......could work out in my favour in the end.

Wouldn’t worry too much. If it was ordered as per the signed spec sheet then they shouldn’t have charged you for the uprated wheels. If they did then make sure that you get that cash back (this would also suggest that they did make an error ie ‘why did you charge me for the uprated wheels, but not supply them?’)

Last edited:
Thank you Kev......was just angry and needed to vent

It's clearly their mistake but as I signed the form they are standing firm that I should have flagged it up then.

Might be buying and selling some wheels next week :thumb
To be honest I’d be livid in your position and would also want to vent that anger, so no problem with that.
Just that, when you simmer down, the problem hasn’t gone away…grrr.
Looks you might have some customers for your unwanted wheels though…every cloud and all that… :)

I would always avoid diamond turned wheels. I have had lots in the past - on BMW and VW (have some on my TRoc now. They are a nightmare and always succumb to white worm. Whoever thought that a clear lacquer could stand up to salt, road grim, brake dust and general grot needed their head examined. And once they degrade you either spend a fortune refurbing them (for it to happen all over again) or just get them powder coated.

Diamond cut wheels are sh1t anyway. You will end up with wheel worm on them . Get some compo. Stick to what you have. You dodged a bullet in my opinion. I would never have them

Diamond Cut wheels can be awesome, mine on a 7 year old ST200 are like new. Maybe I have been lucky.
Have Woodstocks on our Ocean and I love them ;)

Woodstock wheels look great in my opinion but having had cars with diamond cut wheels previously, they invariably suffer from lacquer worm as mentioned above quite quickly.
The Aracaju wheels are a nice wheel, easy to maintain and suit the Cali - these are unique to the Ocean models.
As above, try them and see if you like them. If not, sell them on and get something different - either the Woodstocks or aftermarket - plenty of options there!
We went aftermarket this time as I didn’t like the wheels that came on our new Cali (we went OZ Rally Raid from Elite Wheels).
Most importantly don’t let this wheel issue or the dealer put you off your new Cali - there’s better dealers out there and the wheels can be sorted. The Cali is an amazing machine.

IMG_5567.jpeg

Back