Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Increasing drivers legroom

I am 6ft 4 (1.93m) with size 13 feet. Same issue so had the seat rails modified. No holes were drilled, only the stop was moved further back. The mechanic in Bristol took 4 times the estimated time to do the job as all the ball bearings scattered across the workshop floor on disassembly and it was fiddly to reassemble. Made a huge difference having that extra 2 inches of travel on the driver's side. In fact slightly more than I needed.

Simply put, the seat forms part of the three point mounts for your seatbelt. Whoever suggested it was a DIY job is giving dangerous advice. You will weigh in excess of 10 tonnes at 40mph so your harness won’t work with self tappers ! It will fail the MOT.
It always beats me why anyone thinks they can overwrite years of engineering design by VW regarding the basic safety elements of vehicles.
6’2” is normal for me and the raised seats make it amongst the most comfortable rides I’ve ever had.
Nice discussion though but do think of the safety implications.

. >
It always beats me why anyone thinks they can overwrite years of engineering design by VW regarding the basic safety elements of vehicles.
... .

Because:
- we understand safety
- we use common sense
- and, no, no one mentioned using self tapping screws to relocate the seats

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

I am 6ft 4 (1.93m) with size 13 feet. Same issue so had the seat rails modified. No holes were drilled, only the stop was moved further back. The mechanic in Bristol took 4 times the estimated time to do the job as all the ball bearings scattered across the workshop floor on disassembly and it was fiddly to reassemble. Made a huge difference having that extra 2 inches of travel on the driver's side. In fact slightly more than I needed.
That is very interesting! That looks like a great solution that shouldn’t affect the swivel operation, or safety. I’ll take a look in the daylight tomorrow. I know you said it took them longer to 4x longer to reassemble, did you get the impression it was a 5 minute job that turned into 20 minutes or an hours job that took 4 hours etc. What was the cost?

Nice discussion though but do think of the safety implications
Agree, should always be mindful of safety and as said above, would never use self tapping screws!

Last edited:
Simply put, the seat forms part of the three point mounts for your seatbelt. Whoever suggested it was a DIY job is giving dangerous advice. You will weigh in excess of 10 tonnes at 40mph so your harness won’t work with self tappers ! It will fail the MOT.
6’2” is normal for me and the raised seats make it amongst the most comfortable rides I’ve ever had.
Nice discussion though but do think of the safety implications.
You're absolutely right the seat on my T5 Caravelle was professionally altered by a reputable disability conversion company and any modifications certainly shouldn't be taken lightly

Back