Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Increasing drivers legroom

thehorse

thehorse

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
Any ideas how to increase the drivers legroom?

Can the seat base be unbolted and moved further back? I did also wonder if sitting on cushion would help to increase the drop to the floor. Maybe removing the foot rest would help too?

Can the seat base be unbolted and moved further back? I did also wonder if sitting on cushion would help to increase the drop to the floor. Maybe removing the foot rest would help too?
@thehorse , just to understand, how tall are you?

A few more questions so that we can help:
Also, is this a standard seat on T6 Ocean? (i.e. the ones that can be swivelled and no electronic adjustment aids)
Have you had the van from new? (i.e., the seat has not been retrimmed etc).

Yes, the seat base can be moved back by loosening I think 4 screws but you may have to drill new holes. It is a DIY job. but how far back do you want it?

@thehorse , just to understand, how tall are you?

A few more questions so that we can help:
Also, is this a standard seat on T6 Ocean? (i.e. the ones that can be swivelled and no electronic adjustment aids)
Have you had the van from new? (i.e., the seat has not been retrimmed etc).

Yes, the seat base can be moved back by loosening I think 4 screws but you may have to drill new holes. It is a DIY job. but how far back do you want it?
I’m 6ft2, but I think my massive size 13 feet don’t help matters, effectively meaning my legs have to be further back by a few inches more than less well endowed drivers! (in the foot department-;))

Yes, had the van since new, they are standard T6 Ocean swivel seats. If I could get an extra few inches, I think it would improve things a lot.

I’m 6ft2, but I think my massive size 13 feet don’t help matters, effectively meaning my legs have to be further back by a few inches more than less well endowed drivers! (in the foot department-;))

Yes, had the van since new, they are standard T6 Ocean swivel seats. If I could get an extra few inches, I think it would improve things a lot.
Got it. Then, yes, the best option would be to move the seat back. Look under the seat. From memory there are 4 screws holding the frame in place. Redrill holes to suit and bolt back on. A fairly easy DIY job or get an independent to do it. Only thing to be careful about - ensure that the holes are drilled in alignment with the originals so as not to disturb the seat position w.r.t the steering.

Late today, but can go out and check the van tomorrow.

I am sure moving the seat is fairly straight forward but what might the safety implications be? As a "modification" I am sure your insurance company would want to know about it. Whilst it would be very easy to convince oneself that safety is not compromised, would the authorities thing the same in the event of an accident? I don't know the answer to this but if I were contemplating this modification I would want to know. My son who is 6ft 4ins with size 13 feet has no problems in his T5. He lives in Sydney and often does the run to Melbourne, ~900 km, without issue.

I am sure moving the seat is fairly straight forward but what might the safety implications be? As a "modification" I am sure your insurance company would want to know about it. Whilst it would be very easy to convince oneself that safety is not compromised, would the authorities thing the same in the event of an accident? I don't know the answer to this but if I were contemplating this modification I would want to know. My son who is 6ft 4ins with size 13 feet has no problems in his T5. He lives in Sydney and often does the run to Melbourne, ~900 km, without issue.
While the insurers may say you need to tell them every tiny modification to your vehicle, the only way they can use that against you after an accident is if your mod was itself material to the accident or to the harm caused.

As for "the authorities": unless you've done something crassly stupid with your van to put it into an obviously dangerous condition, you're not going to be in legal jeopardy re the Road Traffic Act.

The MOT simply requires that the driver's seat is "secure"; a tester isn't going to ponder the precise load geometrics or whatever, they'll just wiggle the seat around and if in doubt they'll look and see that it's bolted down.

Plenty of cars have aftermarket seats on different fixings and runners, and as long as they're bolted down sensibly there's no problem with that.

Consideration would have to be made regarding the seat base being part of the seat belt anchorage.
You may be sitting too far back for the seatbelt top/pillar mount to give optimal restraint.

Regulations on changing/altering vehicles has got stricter.

Best advice route would be to visit your local DVSA site for guidance. They would advise if any inspection and Certificate of Conformity would be applicable which would solve any Insurance cover issue.

I think moving the seat backwards would have very little effect, but raising the seat with spacers under the rails would have a more significant impact , especially if the front spacers are higher than the rear. Easy to try out and see if beneficial.

I am 6ft 2 but only size 10 feet have not had an issue with legroom or seating position on t5 or T6 set the tilt of the steering wheel and adjustment of seat belt height makes the driving position just right for me on the longest of trips.

Yeah, I’m a bit concerned about drilling holes in the floor pan as it could weaken the mounting point, raising the height a few inches with spacers might be a better option and easier to return the van back to standard if I sell.

I'm 6'7" with size 13.5 feet. Coast ordered in August ...... got to admit I'm worried now.
I've driven Transporters before and tested the Cali for headroom and knee room, but didn't actually drive one.
Guess the 5'2 wife might be doing more driving than she planned......as long as she can reach the peddles.

Yeah, I’m a bit concerned about drilling holes in the floor pan as it could weaken the mounting point, raising the height a few inches with spacers might be a better option and easier to return the van back to standard if I sell.
I wouldn’t drill holes in the floor to move the seat base back,
a. Lots of electrical connections under seat base.
b. The seat base mounting points are strengthened.

You can reposition the seat sliders on the seat base but I personally would not consider re-positioning the seat base,. Also it may no longer swivel.

You don't have to drill the floor pan to move the seat back.

The seat assembly is technically in two parts (a) the seat with rails which in turn attach to (b) the seat base, which is then attached to the floor pan.

You move the seat rails back. See image below - there are 4 of these screws that need to be taken off and drill additional holes either on the seat rails or the base that you see in the pic.

The pic below is the drivers seat front (UK vehicle RHD).

1640885987801.png

I am 6'3 and have size 13 feet. What is the problem?
Driving the van for 12 years and never had a problem, apart from sometimes wanting the seat to go a few cm further to the back, but with the kitchen IN the back of the seat, that is not possible.

Still more comfortable than driving with your ass to the floor in a "normal" car.
Can't keep up longer than 2 hours in a normal car, where I can drive 3 to 4 hours straight in the California without being as tired as in a normal car.

i am 6'6" with size 14 feet. No problem driving the california.
One of the advantages with the door on the driver's side is that there are no cabinets restricting how far the seat can go back.

All the transporter conversions I've seen have the cabinets behind the driver's seat. Those extra inches make all the difference,

@thehorse , can you check if you have been able to move the seat as far as it will go? Could there be something restricting the movement and hence you have not been able to move it to the farthest point and hence the discomfort?

... just a thought ... but worth checking ...

@thehorse , can you check if you have been able to move the seat as far as it will go? Could there be something restricting the movement and hence you have not been able to move it to the farthest point and hence the discomfort?

... just a thought ... but worth checking ...
Yes, seat all the way back.

I am 6'3 and have size 13 feet. What is the problem?
Driving the van for 12 years and never had a problem, apart from sometimes wanting the seat to go a few cm further to the back, but with the kitchen IN the back of the seat, that is not possible.

Still more comfortable than driving with your ass to the floor in a "normal" car.
Can't keep up longer than 2 hours in a normal car, where I can drive 3 to 4 hours straight in the California without being as tired as in a normal car.
I guess everyone is different, think I must have long legs and like to stretch them out. It’s not terrible just wondering if I can improve the comfort further. Adaptive cruise on the motorway helps as I can then get my legs into different positions.

See if you can find a Cali that has the comfort seats fitted, rather than the swivel seats. They have a greater range of movements I believe. Have a search for swivelgate on the forum.

I’m 6’8” tall with size 14 feet and find the driving position fine (long test drive in a T6.1 and ordered in June). My head just touches the bed hatch above but I’m used to that in my 1990 T25 Cali

Yes, seat all the way back.

I guess everyone is different, think I must have long legs and like to stretch them out. It’s not terrible just wondering if I can improve the comfort further. Adaptive cruise on the motorway helps as I can then get my legs into different positions.
I just think about it, you are British? So your steering wheel is on the wrong (right) side, and you have your pedals in the same position as mine? You loose a lot of room down there with the footrest on the left side against the middle section? That can be one reason.

I too would like to retract the pedals while driving, but wouldn't be handy in case of an emergency.
On the other hand, I can't recline my backrest enough because the kitchenette is already printed in the back of the seat. But as I said, I am still more comfortable to drive long consecutive hours in a just not that good driving position, than in a lower car where I can find the right position.

Just be aware when adjusting the hardware of the seat, because it might consolidate your life in case of an accident.

I don't know much about it, but wouldn't moving the seat back affect the turning-round of the seat when camping? I already have to make several backrest adjustments to "spin" the seat around and stop it from hitting up against the door pillar on the way round. It's a really close gap. Moving the seat back could make this even more difficult. I'd hate you to go to all that trouble, then find you couldn't turn the seat round! I'm sure others will know more about that than me.

I just think about it, you are British? So your steering wheel is on the wrong (right) side, and you have your pedals in the same position as mine? You loose a lot of room down there with the footrest on the left side against the middle section? That can be one reason.

I too would like to retract the pedals while driving, but wouldn't be handy in case of an emergency.
On the other hand, I can't recline my backrest enough because the kitchenette is already printed in the back of the seat. But as I said, I am still more comfortable to drive long consecutive hours in a just not that good driving position, than in a lower car where I can find the right position.

Just be aware when adjusting the hardware of the seat, because it might consolidate your life in case of an accident.
By moving the seat back will it not prevent you swivelling it around as you will struggle to get clearance from B pillar - worth checking maybe?

I had the rail's moved back on a T5 by about an inch and it made a big difference not done it on the California yet as I've managed with it as it is but it can be done not sure whether it will effect the turning of the seat though unfortunately swivel seats don't lift up and down like fixed ones and that makes a difference

As mentioned, try a Booster cushion in the first instance as it will increase the height from seat to floor. If it works then either keep the cushion or use spacers.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B099WNTQQG/?tag=eliteelect-21

Back