VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204 4Motion
3kg!? That's incredible.

zerofour

zerofour

Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
Thanks for all the replies and advice everyone. Plenty for me to think about.

MickyTwoPints

MickyTwoPints

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180
X4 VWC - The Fastrack looks similar to my Z-Pro Flash. The cheaper Sevylors use a canvas outer with an air bladder so no real structure and the canvas can absorb water. The Z-Pro and Fastracks have no air bladders but use a 1000 denier single skin so they are sleek, tough and rigid. The inflatable floor has internal baffles that make it incredibly rigid - important for stability and carrying backpacks for multi-dat trips. I agree with the extra space needed for seats, PDF's and clothing. We've had some great trips two-up, with our dog joining us a few times.

For solo-use I have an Alpackaraft packraft which, at 3kg and folding to the size of a small one-man tent, takes up no space and is ideal for backpacking trips.
I have the Z-Pro too. I've had it for four years or so now. Here's a couple of photos of my daughter and I in Portsmouth Harbour. We've used it in canals, Portsmouth and Christchurch Harbours, the length of the River Medway and short sea trips. It's had a few scrapes in shallow water but has got through everything unscathed. Very pleased with the Z-Pro.

I first saw them at the New Forest Show. Not sure if they'll be back this year worth a look if you're in the area.

A friend of mine (the photographer of the pictures below) has the Sevylor and finds the seat backs a bit useless as they're so flimsy. Very sturdy comfortable seats in the Z-Pro.

20140414_105252.jpg 20140414_104755.jpg

hirsty

hirsty

Two Seat Beach DSG
VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Beach 150
X4 VWC - The Fastrack looks similar to my Z-Pro Flash. The cheaper Sevylors use a canvas outer with an air bladder so no real structure and the canvas can absorb water. The Z-Pro and Fastracks have no air bladders but use a 1000 denier single skin so they are sleek, tough and rigid. The inflatable floor has internal baffles that make it incredibly rigid - important for stability and carrying backpacks for multi-dat trips. I agree with the extra space needed for seats, PDF's and clothing. We've had some great trips two-up, with our dog joining us a few times.

For solo-use I have an Alpackaraft packraft which, at 3kg and folding to the size of a small one-man tent, takes up no space and is ideal for backpacking trips.
Great info, thanks! I've now just spent an hour watching 'packrafting' videos on YouTube, yet another eye-opener to another category I knew nothing about - cheers! :D

zerofour

zerofour

Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
Thanks again for all the replies, in the end we've gone for a Gumtex Solar. We liked the fact that they dry out really quickly and pack down slightly smaller than the other kayaks. It's a 2 +1 person so both the kids and I can fit. The Gumtex boats are a lot better in the flesh than on the website where they look a bit 'cheap'. Looking forward to our maiden voyage!