Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Installation of solar panels to the 680 ?

M

MontyM

Vehicle
Grand California 680
Hi all,

We've been wondering if anyone has made/had done a retrofit of a solar panel to the 680?

I know you can get the panel in some configurations (and it comes with the 600 anyway?) but we bought a van with no panel.

Any tips and tricks?

We got some quite crazy quotes (3000€ just for the panels + work on top) so not quite sure which route we're gonna take with it.
My spouse says he could do the cables and wiring on the inside, if we happen to find a good panel to buy, but the actual electrical connecting should be done by a professional who knows what they're doing ;)

Hi,
I have the GC600 with the solar panel, it’s only 104 watt, but “when” the sun shines it puts out about 7-8 amp, and tops up the leisure battery nicely.
With winter on the way I plan on adding a second 50 watt panel as there is no room on top for anything larger, Iv decided on the Renogy 50 watt flexible panel, and series connect it to the existing panel and will use the existing mpp charge controller. You will likely have the same problems I have which is getting the cables through the roof without drilling. I plan to start the project in October. My upgrade should cost under £200.
if you decide to go with the Renogy 175 watt flexible panel and a charge controller, your materials should easily be under £500. Will post pics etc of my upgrade once completed.

Best of luck.

Speak to Roger Donaghue. There’s plenty of references to him on the forum.

Back