Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Insurance Recommendations

CampervanTime

CampervanTime

VIP Member
Vehicle
Westy Sven Hedin
Hi Everyone

After some insurance recommendations if possible.

We have 9 years NCB 'spare' at the moment as we've just sold one of our cars that we can use the NCB on the Cali for. Do the insurance companies recognise this / keep it for us?

We're not thinking we will fit a tracker or other security stuff to our Cali unless we're forced to, are these things compulsory for a lot of insurers?

Some of the websites I've seen also say that they do replacement vehicle cover for up to the first 3 years. Has anyone used this / trusted it vs having GAP insurance?

Some of the websites seem really generic - ie tell them it is a pop top camper, not based on a ford (why??) and then with just a few more questions (not including the fact that it is a VW California). Are these sites ok? Seems quite loose?!

Cheers

Hi Everyone

We have 9 years NCB 'spare' at the moment as we've just sold one of our cars that we can use the NCB on the Cali for. Do the insurance companies recognise this / keep it for us?

We're not thinking we will fit a tracker or other security stuff to our Cali unless we're forced to, are these things compulsory for a lot of insurers?

Some of the websites I've seen also say that they do replacement vehicle cover for up to the first 3 years. Has anyone used this / trusted it vs having GAP insurance?

Some of the websites seem really generic - ie tell them it is a pop top camper, not based on a ford (why??) and then with just a few more questions (not including the fact that it is a VW California). Are these sites ok? Seems quite loose?!

Cheers
You get what you pay for. I use the Caravan & Motorhome Club Insurance. Not the cheapest. I pay £390/pa, Fully Comp for 20,000 miles/year.
I have personal experience of their Claims system and the New for Old, having had a £18,000 25' 7 berth caravan written off on its first outing courtesy of National Express. Would have been replaced in 3 weeks but I had bought New at end of season and had to wait for 6 weeks for the New year model.
Cheap not always best - look for Reviews regarding Claims handling etc:

Just insured with safeguard. They have a discount if you mention you’re a member of this forum, works out 10months for price of 12 apparently. Unlimited mileage, unlimited days in Europe & they’ll mimic you NCB from another car.

Yep I needed Business use and Dafeguard were the only reasonable deal

I'd get out there and get quotes from all the big guns frequently mentioned on this site because for what ever reason your own details may have an massive bearing on the quote.
Like yourself I have 9 years + of NCB, a mature owner + similar named driver and a very favourable post code, parking on a drive way with only social domestic and commuting requirements and found Comfort to be the best for us.
This quote was in complete contrast to some others here and I was expecting much better things from some clubs that worked for others but the price differences were huge.

I think you'll find a decent enough price but you'll have to do the individual quotes to really know.

Also Safeguard. Includes European breakdown cover, no restriction on how many days in Europe or how many trips. Unlimited mileage
Just renewed for £450.

I took out GAP insurance for 5 years with ALA.

I think you just have to do the leg work until you find a good price (that doesn't justify further leg work) and are happy the insurer understands what they are taking on. I had quotes from £400 to £2500 from the usual suspects mentioned in these threads - but need business use and postcode isn't great. Ended up with LV.

+1 for LV=. Best price for 18K miles per year, including business use. Up to 6 months per year EU cover.

Here's some info from an old post of mine:

LV= for me as well. Best quote by about £100, SDP, Commuting and Business use, 18k miles pa, 54 yo, 10 years NCD, about £280. Includes 180 days Euro cover as standard. Their online quote is very straightforward to fill in. I actually got a better quote from Direct Line - 2/3 the price of LV=, but you have to inform them every time to go across the channel and you have to pay for a green card. If that's not an issue, their cover was pretty good, and they are especially good if you want to add occasional drivers. I had to get them to quote by phone as the only seem to have the T5 models on their online quote system. As below, I needed to be very specific about the vehicle description, but they were happy to cover the Ocean. Basically they said "if you turned it upside down and shook everything loose out, what is left is covered".

Admiral were also happy to quote for me. I did find that you have to be very specific about the vehicle description: '2017 Volkswagen California T30 Ocean 4MOTION Tdi DSG' worked for most insurers. Their quote was pretty good, but they only include 90 days Euro cover.

Just got a quote from Caravan and Motorhome and it was £680 inc the discount.

Safeguard £400 (includes roadside assist as they can't take it off)
Comfort £350 (doesn't include roadside assist as van is new)

Is there anything really separating Safeguard with Comfort?

Good / bad experiences of either?

I’m been with comfort for 2years.

Pleased that there was negligible increase in premium on the renewal.

Old for new for 36months or 15,000 miles.

Low premium but no breakdown as I have it covered by VW and another policy.

Downside is the leaving parked up rule but this does not effect me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

+1 for LV. I had to talk to them on the phone for a while to get a good value quotation. We have a 53 plate Golf as a second car so the Cali is not an only vehicle, which seems to spook some companies when it is.
We have had a couple of incidents in the past when the other party was to blame, and LV have given us a loan vehicle without question. But there seem to be a lot of individual features that affect quotations.
Certainly talk to the prospective company rather than rely on online quotations.

They've just quoted me a •fivefold• increase in premium on last year: £440 up to £2,200.

Follow my blog: www.au-revoir.eu
My premium has dropped each year. 1st yr £430, 2nd £410 and now £390.
Mind you, you have had 2 bumps to my knowledge and even though not your fault if you have told the Insurance Company and are not making a claim the premiums still seem to go up.

Can you just elaborate on that for me? We've got two other cars in the household, so does the Comfort rule mean you can't leave it somewhere?

Here’s a screenshot of relevant part.

cad932b274ff701bb368e422c0db92ca.jpg

I suspect it was introduced because people, as they do, pulled a fast one with where vehicle is normally parked.
Effect though can put some off. I’ve spoken to them and in the unlikely event I did leave it somewhere. Say fell Ill while away and had to fly home or something like that i would just phone them.

Mike

LV for me too...premium actually went down this year!

My premium has dropped each year. 1st yr £430, 2nd £410 and now £390.
Mind you, you have had 2 bumps to my knowledge and even though not your fault if you have told the Insurance Company and are not making a claim the premiums still seem to go up.
Yes - 30 years of bump free motoring, then two come at once. Both unresolved - still. The bus lane undertaker is claiming his car was in a police pound at the time of the crash. The Polish police have concluded the white van man was responsible for the second bash, and have referred the matter to court for sentence. Nevertheless, both incidents recorded as unresolved...

Follow my blog: www.au-revoir.eu

Hi Everyone

Cheers
We used Comfort Insurance. Tried VW first but failing to convince them that a Cali does not have 5 doors got a bit tedious after 10 mins so we gave up with them.

LV for me too...premium actually went down this year!

LV told us the habitation, roof etc would not be covered, baically I would just have cover as if it was a Caravelle, so if I had a side shunt I would not be covered for a new kitchen etc.. Same went for roof damage. I think many of the 'car' insurers don't actually know what a California is and could be a very grey area in the result of a claim.

LV told us the habitation, roof etc would not be covered, baically I would just have cover as if it was a Caravelle, so if I had a side shunt I would not be covered for a new kitchen etc.. Same went for roof damage. I think many of the 'car' insurers don't actually know what a California is and could be a very grey area in the result of a claim.

Ouch! That doesn't sound right does it?

I tried to ring LV yesterday (their motorhome insurance line) at 4.45pm and it said they were shut, opening hours 8-8 M-F. I was a little confused!

Comfort so far is looking favourable, but I will go back to Safeguard as they said they might be able to sharpen their pencil a little if I'd shopped around and were very helpful.

Hi Everyone

Cheers

Just renewed mine with Safeguard £400, 2 drivers, my wife has a "claim"..a poor Fox rabout in front of her.Full European and U/L mileage..did a search on 2 comparison sites which ranged from £800 to £1200.