Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Insurance Recommendations

We get our new Ocean a week on Wednesday so just started getting insurance quotes . First up Comfort, told as van will be parked on road they could not insure, did not even ask for post code so Safeguard next

It’s that time again. Insurance

Been with Admiral last 5 years. But decided on getting some quotes.

Caravan & Motorhome - £443 Could possibly price match my renewal £416
Camping & Caravan - can’t cover unless a gps tracker is fitted. Also won’t insure the Beach for those interested.
Comfort - £396 However 6 mins before answering the phone. Also stated their 48hr policy. Operator said it’s ok in airport car parks, but it sounds a grey area and I use my Ocean as my daily. So possibly going to discard this quote.
Safeguard - £527 Phone Operator wasn’t the sharpest tool. Nice enough guy.

So need to reconfirm some finer details and wondering about trying a couple more.
Another point is what’s covered with regards to the habitation area

Last edited:
It’s that time again. Insurance

Been with Admiral last 5 years. But decided on getting some quotes.

Caravan & Motorhome - £443 Could possibly price match my renewal £416
Camping & Caravan - can’t cover unless a gps tracker is fitted. Also won’t insure the Beach for those interested.
Comfort - £396 However 6 mins before answering the phone. Also stated their 48hr policy. Operator said it’s ok in airport car parks, but it sounds a grey area and I use my Ocean as my daily. So possibly going to discard this quote.
Safeguard - £527 Phone Operator was the sharpest tool. Nice enough guy.

So need to reconfirm some finer details and wondering about trying a couple more.
Another point is what’s covered with regards to the habitation area
And don't forget to enquire WHEN the Habitation area etc: is covered?

eg: If there is a fire when cooking?

And don't forget to enquire WHEN the Habitation area etc: is covered?

eg: If there is a fire when cooking?
I have been trying to get that one confirmed (in writing) by Admiral but give up! Tried email but despite getting a couple of names from their website, the writer of their campervan article and the VW product manager, the emails bounce back. The call centre staff say yes it’s covered (I spelt out the kitchen fire scenario) but to be honest they didn’t convince me that they knew what they were talking about. One reassured me that as all calls were recorded there would be no issues!
Anyone near Cardiff fancy knocking on their front door?
As I mentioned in another thread the multi car deal they’ve offered me is ridiculously cheap, so I’m sceptical.

Safeguard is the one for my purposes; no others can match them. They’re not cheap but I get all usual cover plus free green card, unlimited mileage and time abroad and fully comp for Morocco, where I spend a lot of time.

LV for us. £250 with 9yrs NCB, 9k miles on a brand new Beach. Most other quotes were £350-600

I have been with Safeguard for past two years. Shopping around this year has turned up some much cheaper options from the brokers but the insurer is Markerstudy in two cases. I’m not choosing them even though much less money because we had a claim against the total loss of our previous camper and they were awful to deal with. I don’t have any particular faith in other insurers but I wouldn’t want to go with Markerstudy after our previous experience- they certainly did not seem to understand camper vans even though the policy specifically stated it was for a camper.

https://caliventures364847572.wordpress.com/

Erbster.
This is why the right insurance is needed and not just the cheapest.
I’m not going to worry about £100-£200 difference ifthe higher figure has the complete comprehensive Campervan specific cover that I’m looking for
:thumb

Currently with Admiral.
Not sure it’s the best option for a Campervan, however they always answer the phone quickly and service has always been great. Although, I’ve never had to make a claim.

I would like to add some changes to my van this year, so may need an insurer who will allow modifications.

Currently with Admiral.
Not sure it’s the best option for a Campervan, however they always answer the phone quickly and service has always been great. Although, I’ve never had to make a claim.

I would like to add some changes to my van this year, so may need an insurer who will allow modifications.
Does your policy state that you are covered for damage due to a “Camping” accident, such as a kitchen fire?

Does your policy state that you are covered for damage due to a “Camping” accident, such as a kitchen fire?

I believe not.
That why I’m looking at other insurers.

Although, how many kitchen fires etc happen in camper vans?

Currently with Admiral.

I just swopped from Admiral to Comfort/Aviva. Business cover is automatically included and the cover is not only better for a Cali but it’s £130 cheaper. The proof will come of course if I have to make a claim. Here’s hoping not!!

Just renewed mine with LV 9yrs NCB for £208 instead of £333 with Shield , thanks guys.

+1 for LV. Insured with them for the first time last month. Not as cheap as some but happy with cover for the Cali.

Admiral's price (with multicar discount) is over £1000. Admittedly I've had one no-fault, no-claim accident in last 12 months on previous van but this still seems very high.

Admiral's price (with multicar discount) is over £1000. Admittedly I've had one no-fault, no-claim accident in last 12 months on previous van but this still seems very high.
Going back through an aggregator the quote is exactly half that, and after a chat with them on the phone it's a price that they now seem to be willing to honour.