Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Interior monitoring Alarm - possible fault

Nick.C

Nick.C

Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
Hi, just back from weekend at Fairlight Wood site in Pett, near Hastings, which is a lovely site by the way with a great pub just through the woods. In the middle of the night our alarm went off for no apparent reason. I checked the light on the switch by the drivers door and it was yellow when the drivers door was open as described in the manual, but turned red when the driver’s door was shut. The manual doesn’t mention a red light as far as I can see, but is this normal? Any help would really be appreciated.

Have a read through this nick. Should help you out...

Thank you, good to see I am not alone in not understanding the controls properly. The thread mentions the light turning from orange/yellow to red when the driver’s door closes, which mine does, so maybe that is normal. Not sure why the alarm went off though if this is normal.

Assuming you were in the van when the alarm went off, had you used the “lock button” on the drivers door? If so the doors should have locked and the alarm disabled.

Hi, yes we were asleep in the van and no we used the fob, but I thought the button on the driver’s door pillar deactivated the interior sensors. I did wonder if the fact it was yellow when the driver’s door was open and then turned red when the driver’s door was closed meant that there is a fault, but the other thread seemed to suggest the red was normal even though it doesn’t appear to be mentioned in the manual.

Hi, yes we were asleep in the van and no we used the fob, but I thought the button on the driver’s door pillar deactivated the interior sensors. I did wonder if the fact it was yellow when the driver’s door was open and then turned red when the driver’s door was closed meant that there is a fault, but the other thread seemed to suggest the red was normal even though it doesn’t appear to be mentioned in the manual.
The b pillar switch only works when you push it from outside the van with all doors except the drivers door closed. So that it is amber, shut drivers door, lock wth fob.
If you use the fob from inside the van with a single push of the lock button you will not only set the motion alarm but will also activate the deadlocks which makes emergency escapes from inside difficult. Best bet is to only use the lock button on the drivers door when in the van.

The red light on B pillar indicates the motion detection is on/normal. Amber = off.
Sort of logical! Depending on you point of view.

Brilliant, thank you for your help, really appreciated

Red lights elsewhere seem to relate to faults, but I am very much a novice so your responses to my silly questions really help:thanks

Firstly there is no "RED" light on the b pillar button it is just the switch illumination like all the other buttons.
If you open the driver's door you can press the button and it will illuminate orange meaning you have deactivated the sensors and deadlocks. (remember you unlock the van again you have to press the button again)
This can also be achieved with a double press of the key fob.
HOWEVER, when sleeping inside the van you should not lock the van in this way but instead, use the lock/unlock button on the inside of the driver's door.
Then if you need to pop outside, you can double pull the sliding door and when back in press the button down on the sliding door to lock again.

If you use the fob to lock the doors you risk the alarm going off and you also risk locking yourself out! This is because you can press the fob and lock the van with the sliding door open, it will stay like this until you close the sliding door and "Clunk" it with finally lock the sliding door. If you happen to do this and go out for pee and close the sliding door behind you without the key in your pocket you can lock yourself out.

So keep it simple and just use the Lock/Unlock button on the driver's door.

Last edited:
I dont lock mine when in. Youd have to be good to get sneaking around Inside a cali without being noticed. You are risking locking yourself out as said. But also its correct the button lights up orange when operated with just the drivers door open. Also I think it remembers its last setting so you need to press it again with just the drivers door open to put the sensors back on. Same on a ferry or leaving the dog in there a while. Or being towed

I have 2 buttons on the B pillar one for internal alarm and one for motion detection, don't know about later models

Thank you all, I will definitely use the lock/unlock button on the driver’s door when we are inside from now on.

Thank you all, I will definitely use the lock/unlock button on the driver’s door when we are inside from now on.
I realised this week that the drivers door lock button only locks the drivers door on our 2018 Ocean and you also have to separately lock the front passenger door and side door from inside. How though do you lock the tailgate without using the fob and risk the alarm going off in the middle of the night?

I realised this week that the drivers door lock button only locks the drivers door on our 2018 Ocean and you also have to separately lock the front passenger door and side door from inside. How though do you lock the tailgate without using the fob and risk the alarm going off in the middle of the night?
Are you using the Rocker switch next to the wing mirror controls or the actual Lock Button on the door?

Hi, just back from weekend at Fairlight Wood site in Pett, near Hastings, which is a lovely site by the way with a great pub just through the woods. In the middle of the night our alarm went off for no apparent reason. I checked the light on the switch by the drivers door and it was yellow when the drivers door was open as described in the manual, but turned red when the driver’s door was shut. The manual doesn’t mention a red light as far as I can see, but is this normal? Any help would really be appreciated.

I agree Fairlight is a lovely peaceful wooded site. Bet you were popular with your alarm going off in the middle of the night.

Are you using the Rocker switch next to the wing mirror controls or the actual Lock Button on the door?
Button on the door, but rocker switch makes more sense, thank you

I agree Fairlight is a lovely peaceful wooded site. Bet you were popular with your alarm going off in the middle of the night.
Yes we really like it for a weekend away and as you can imagine I kept my head down for an hour or so!

Button on the door, but rocker switch makes more sense, thank you
Door button only locks that door. Rocker switch locks All doors Including tailgate.
You can also program the vehicle computer to automatically lock All doors including tailgate when moving off and reaching about 15km/hr.

Back