Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Intermittent water pump problem

C

Cohny

Vehicle
Grand California 680
We’ve had our 680 since July, not used it as much as we‘d like this year but each time we do we have problems with the water pump not switching off and randomly coming on. It seems the problem kicks in after about two days, once it starts the pump will stop/start randomly, particularly annoying in the middle of the night as the pump is located under the bed. When we stop using it the problem goes away.
The van has just been in for the second time to try and sort this out but as it’s not being used the problem doesn’t occur, understandably the dealer is reluctant to start pulling the van apart without knowing the source of the proble.
anybody else out there having similar problems? Any ideas on the source of the problem appreciated
Thanks!

When was it built, apparently this was an issue but apparently fixed after March 2020. And it is said to be the micro switch on the tap.

It was built round about March, hard to say as it was stuck in a locked down factory, anyway they thought it might be the tap and replaced it. Unless the tap has failed again (they did replace it with the same spec tap) it must be something else .....

It was built round about March, hard to say as it was stuck in a locked down factory, anyway they thought it might be the tap and replaced it. Unless the tap has failed again (they did replace it with the same spec tap) it must be something else .....
Possibly, but the German forum have had this issue from launch, they say it’s the micro switch getting wet and corroding

Had ours since mid July and no issue, built April held up at port till July.

We’ve had our 680 since July, not used it as much as we‘d like this year but each time we do we have problems with the water pump not switching off and randomly coming on. It seems the problem kicks in after about two days, once it starts the pump will stop/start randomly, particularly annoying in the middle of the night as the pump is located under the bed. When we stop using it the problem goes away.
The van has just been in for the second time to try and sort this out but as it’s not being used the problem doesn’t occur, understandably the dealer is reluctant to start pulling the van apart without knowing the source of the proble.
anybody else out there having similar problems? Any ideas on the source of the problem appreciated
Thanks!
Hi just wondering if you ever resolved this issue. I had the same problem with my GC600 in September and VW were unable to fix it. Eventually returned the vehicle and got my money back

Hi just wondering if you ever resolved this issue. I had the same problem with my GC600 in September and VW were unable to fix it. Eventually returned the vehicle and got my money back
According to the German forum it’s the tap micro switch.

According to the German forum it’s the tap micro switch.
Thanks for the info, shame VW didn't know that back in September. I've now got a Maibu 540 nicer build and to drive, first trip out on the 12th....at last

We had a very similar problem and the cause was the outside shower switch it needed to be switched off. The VW mechanic was really helpful and very thorough sent us videos etc.

We had a very similar problem and the cause was the outside shower switch it needed to be switched off. The VW mechanic was really helpful and very thorough sent us videos etc.
Did you get yours from Preston? The mechanic there told me about the problem you had; ours was different though. The latest is they have replaced the water pump. So far so good but we have only been away on short trips, the real test will be when we go away for a couple of weeks in the summer.

Did you get yours from Preston? The mechanic there told me about the problem you had; ours was different though. The latest is they have replaced the water pump. So far so good but we have only been away on short trips, the real test will be when we go away for a couple of weeks in the summer.
Yes we did. When it first happened which was in December we took the fuse out overnight. In April we had a 5 day trip to Devon and no problems, the solar panel was excellent.

Apparently they changed the pumps after March build 2020. I have had x2 vans after that date and no issue.
if it dose happen pull the second fuse in from the left within the electrical cabinet.

We haven’t had any pump issues to date but it’s worthwhile carrying a spare pump for the cost rather than spoil a trip away. A 5min job to change out providing you have an Electric connector block. Worth a thought.

We haven’t had any pump issues to date but it’s worthwhile carrying a spare pump for the cost rather than spoil a trip away. A 5min job to change out providing you have an Electric connector block. Worth a thought.
Is a spare pump expensive?

Oh no. Just read this thread. We are having same problem. Ordered our 680 September 2020 and delivered 29 December, so after the 'problem' date. When using kitchen sink only the pump does not always switch off when turning tap off. Have to keep lifting tap lever up and down til turns off. Then last weekend in New Forest the pump came on in middle of the night :( as with others above).
Will try everything suggested above and hope we can sort it.

Hi Linda, your issue sounds like the tap issue a few have had, there’s a few threads already including drying with a hair dryer.

Zoe a spare pump is approx £25-30 and is available from lots of sources you don’t need to go to VW. Manufacturer is Reich, as fitted to many motor homes.

Hi Bobcat

Thanks for your reply. Our GC has had so little use that it shouldn't be a problem already but definitely think it is the kitchen tap switch which is faulty. Off for a week in it 22nd May so will see how it behaves! Fingers crossed!
Hi Linda, your issue sounds like the tap issue a few have had, there’s a few threads already including drying with a hair dryer.

Zoe a spare pump is approx £25-30 and is available from lots of sources you don’t need to go to VW. Manufacturer is Reich, as fitted to many motor homes.

Back