Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Internal or External Roof Insulation?

M

Mofty in Meysey

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180
Considering the cold nights are drawing in we are in the market for a bit of insulation for the roof.... what are owners opinions of either internal or external insulation?

Many thanks.

I've tried all 3 variants. The full cover, the wrap around and the internal.

I would say it comes down to how you want to use your Cali.

The Cover gives great protection but does have to be put on and taken off adding time, if only a little, to your packing up time. So maybe more appropriate if you plan to stay in the same location for a few days. Also typically these have windows so don't give as much blackout as other options which may be important if you have young children in summer.

The wrap around type, aka Mutze, are earlier to put up in my opinion and give better blackout. The downside is you don't get the light/view when you want it. It protect the canvas but not the mechanism I made my own and cost about £50 for the insulation.

The internal gives the benefit of cover with the added benefit you can open or close the windows. The downside is that they do not protect the roof mechanism which may be a consideration partially if you are looking to camp in the snow. If you get a lot of rain you will also need to dry/air your roof when you get home. The roof canvas does dry pretty quickly though.

So have a think about how you plan to use your Cali and pick accordingly. I know from experience that trying all 3 can be expensive.

There many many threads on the subject but that's my two cents. I hope that helps.

Back