Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

CampervanBits Internal topper

Any news on the availability of the Cali cosy yet Nick, still can't see it on your website .... Winters coming :Nailbiting:Nailbiting

Sorry Folks - I've not had chance to get on recently, we've been working hard on getting the extra attachments just right for the cozy! There's several going out this week to people who have pre ordered them and we're just in the process of stock building before they go on general sale shortly. Bubba I've PM'ed you about get one out to you and if anyone would like to order one in the meantime just drop me a call - 01246 825873 or email comfortzleisure@aol.com.

I've asked everyone who's purchased one to take lots of photo's and feedback on the forum their thoughts so hopefully there will be lots of info on shortly.

I'm going to shoot a fitting video over the next few weeks to help with the questions with regards to the fitting - as soon as it's finished I'll get it uploaded so people can take a look.

Cheers
Nick

Just had 10 days in lake district and scotland we had the cali cosy fitted, we rented the van a couples of times before and noticed at night and in a morning it was chilly in the topper. This time with the cosy fitted we noticed we didn't wake up from the cold and was much warmer in the topper than the rest of the van. This was also with problems of the parking heater not working. Also when the bed is raised as the cosy is white it makes it feel more airy and brightens the van up as the bellows are grey. As it is fitted we don't need to remove it when the pop top is down.Good Quality material and nice fit. Thanks Nick from Comfortz Leisure great service yet again.

Cheers Lee, I'm Glad you're liking it :) Are the fittings all standing up to it? With it being the first "Beach" specific one we've done you're very much our guinea pig!

Hi Folks,
A couple of updates on this one, another happy customer this afternoon has driven away with a Cali-Cozy fitted (thanks Christine) your feedback should be interesting. I'll keep and eye out for your post / update.

Lee has been back to see me with a Cali-Cozy we fitted to his beach and the only watch out is that it makes the manual catches a bit tougher to close. Mainly because there is more fabric to tuck under the sides. We found closing the awning side (drivers side) first and then the passengers side better. Also there's a risk of trapping the Cali-Cozy in the catches - so I'll write a watch out into the instructions. Other than this he was very impressed.

There's another 6/7 due to go out this week and I'm encouraging everyone to take photos and feedback on the forum.

If everyone happy I'm going to shoot a fitting video and put them on general sale shorty. Please drop me an email if you'd like to pre order one - Retail £299.99 - VIP price £270.

A big thank you to everyone who has been involved in getting this product off of the ground and fitting as well as it does, its very much appreciated!

Cant wait for the pics / video -
I'm hoping to get one of these once I get my head around how they won't attract water through the canvas when it rains?? ( usually when anything touches canvas on the inside it pulls water in ???)
Please tell me I'm wrong

Hi folks - a couple of people have asked will the Cali-Cozy work in conjunction with the child safety net and I can confirm it fits fine - please see pictures below.

View media item 651View media item 650
With regards to pulling water through - its a good question! - the side that of the Cozy that faces the bellows is waterproof and for the most part I would say doesn't actually touch the bellows. I've not experience it pulling water through but I'll let other folks who've tried it out comment too :)

It's great that the safety net can still be used, we need it as well (three children on top).
We usually leave the safety net below the mattress, but I guess we should relocate it after fitting the Cali cosi because it's becoming too much fabric to squeeze in the top?
Are the ventilation openings in the top (near the roof) uncovered or covered? If they're covered, is that okay? Or how do you tackle ventilation?

We've had our cosy on since June. To answer some points raised above - the little vents at the top of the roof are covered, but the cosy doesn't fit really tightly at the top of the sides where it meets the solid roof , so air can still get in. We always sleep with some of the zipped vents undone simply to let in extra air but I'm sure it would be OK not to. The cosy isn't a tight fit against the sides of the canvas, so it shouldn't draw rain in, but we haven't been out in heavy rain yet. I think the safety net might have to be stored elsewhere for travelling as the cosy does fill the space by the hatch.
Hope this helps,
Alison.

I've tried to shoot a fitting video today - but it was very hard to pick up the light and focus correctly whilst crawling about in the roof and fitting everything one handed! :confused:

Also my Cali-Cozy has been in place for a few months now so very creased and we've used the van with the kids etc and I managed to get some oil on it when recovering the lower roof lining! So this may pick up in the video! But I guess good view of how it'll look after some heavy use!

The key with the bottom velcro is to take your time cut little bits out for the corners and get it fitted nicely.

In essence this fitting is pretty much the same but we've improved things as we've moved forward - so if anyone who has had a Cali-Cozy and requires and new/different fittings as per the video - just drop me a line :thumb

With regards to the vents - this is one of the reasons I've not took the Cali-Cozy right into the front corners.
Both ventilation and movement of air when lowering and raising the roof. The video covers that bit - hopefully.

Feedback - as always - is appreciated!

Cheers,
Nick

Thanks for the video Nick, this explains how the Cozy fits, see you Saturday!

I recently received an internal Comfortz Cozi topper from Nick. Although I've not had chance to try it out yet I thought I'd add a few comments about my initial impressions plus some photos. The cozi arrived in a nice waterproof bag so if you were to remove it you can easily keep all the bits together. It comes also with thorough instructions, however, I'd recommend watching the fitting video available on youtube. The link is here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tNtUTGxgU1Q .It's only a few minutes long and makes the job much quicker after having watched the video.

The installation probably took about an hour in total and once in place the interior of the van was immediately quieter and did seem instantly warmer too. The material has a quality feel to it and when lying on the bed the ambient light is much nicer and not so bright.

Most of the fitting time was taken placing lots of small pieces of velcro around all the corners to get a neat fit but taking a little time certainly paid off. Initially it looks as though the final look is going to be a little loose as the cozi is so big, but, once all in place and all velcro fitted it provides a neat and taught result.

I did need to use some of the small extra velcro fittings provided towards the rear sides of the roof to provide a little extra support and I ended up tying the elastic side supports directly to the plastic loops on the roof.

Once tested out for real, which should be fairly soon, I'll provide some more feedback. Initial impressions are though that it should be a really nice addition and one that once in place just stays there!

The Brandup internal roof system keeps the vehicle cool up to 45 degrees C.
Is there any information/ experience as to how well the Cali Cozy internal roof system keeps the vehicle cool in a hot summer? I can see the Calicozy may make the upper bed area more comfortable and warmer in winter than the Brandup Iso 111 system but what about summer?

DSG 180 4 motion, blue motion 2014 with lots of bits and pieces

Second request is there a fitting service available at all- willing to pay!

The Brandup internal roof system keeps the vehicle cool up to 45 degrees C.
Is there any information/ experience as to how well the Cali Cozy internal roof system keeps the vehicle cool in a hot summer? I can see the Calicozy may make the upper bed area more comfortable and warmer in winter than the Brandup Iso 111 system but what about summer?

DSG 180 4 motion, blue motion 2014 with lots of bits and pieces

I think it does certainly.
In France this year 38 C and we slept comfortably in the roof without getting unduly hot.
I was in Aragon later and temperatures there a bit higher and still OK.
You also still get some ventilation as the Cozy isn't completely sealed round the top.

Thank you briwy that's hugely helpful, I wasn't sure whether in the heat it was like sleeping in a plastic bag!

Hi Isa Neal,

I think the other folks have answered the questions - I haven't used the cozy myself in hot conditions yet! And looking outside I won't do for a good while :(.

You do have three windows to unzip and I think the cozy would completely block any sunlight that penetrates the canvas.

Unfortunately I can't fit to a vehicle - we're not insured if any damage occurs whilst working on a vehicle. - But more than happy to advise if you're fitting yourself ;)

Its not that difficult in terms of fitting, just time consuming.

For those who have spoken to me over the last couple of weeks and have had their names put on the waiting list - we'll be sending another batch of cozy's out later this week so I'll be in touch. :thumb

you are right the cali cozy is the same as the isotop only better as it is british made and comes with a years guarentee

Er, you realise you're putting it in a German van right?

I've installed the Cali Cozy yesterday on my Beach. The fitting on the beach is still being perfected so this was a trial and I've provided Nick with feedback.

There was a lot of wind. While the wind blew right through the bellows, once the Cozy was installed it became so much warmer inside. The difference in temperature and feel was incredible. Before the Cozy, it was cold in the roof, and warmer downstairs, after the cozy the other way around and it didn't get colder downstairs
It seems 100% wind tight as the outer size is a 100% waterproof material, not like tent canvas. The material is something really unique, I've never seen it before, it feels soft on the inside and probably helps reducing sounds from outside the car as well.

It takes about 2 minutes more to close down the roof as stuffing all the fabric behind the anchor points from the manual roof closing system is not so easy. But that seems less than mount/unmounting an external topper. I've ordered the Bungee, I haven't installed it yet and it does not seem very necessary as the roof closed fine automatically folding inwards without it.

Looking forward to our christmas trip with 5, we might go north to scandinavia and test it out.

The fact that it can stay in place at all times and doesn't require additional storage space is a great plus. One less thing to worry about when setting up camp (in the dark).

I've installed the Cali Cozy yesterday on my Beach. The fitting on the beach is still being perfected so this was a trial and I've provided Nick with feedback.

There was a lot of wind. While the wind blew right through the bellows, once the Cozy was installed it became so much warmer inside. The difference in temperature and feel was incredible. Before the Cozy, it was cold in the roof, and warmer downstairs, after the cozy the other way around and it didn't get colder downstairs
It seems 100% wind tight as the outer size is a 100% waterproof material, not like tent canvas. The material is something really unique, I've never seen it before, it feels soft on the inside and probably helps reducing sounds from outside the car as well.

It takes about 2 minutes more to close down the roof as stuffing all the fabric behind the anchor points from the manual roof closing system is not so easy. But that seems less than mount/unmounting an external topper. I've ordered the Bungee, I haven't installed it yet and it does not seem very necessary as the roof closed fine automatically folding inwards without it.

Looking forward to our christmas trip with 5, we might go north to scandinavia and test it out.

The fact that it can stay in place at all times and doesn't require additional storage space is a great plus. One less thing to worry about when setting up camp (in the dark).

Hi,

Did you get the extra velcro I sent over?

We've had lots of interest in the Cozy at the moment.

Just to confirm - The SE design is perfected and will be going on general sale shortly.

The Beach variant is still in the testing stages - but it's nearly there. It seems with the beach more care is needed when closing the roof due to the design of the front securing clamps and the chance of trapping the Cozy and or the Canvas in the clamps.

It'd be good to try one in a T6 SE if anyone is interested!

No I haven't received it. When was it sent?
Anyway we went camping 4 days in Normandia, France over the holidays and it was great. Children slept (all 3 of them) in the top and that went very well. Lots of wind and rain, but we never had to use the heater.

Closing the roof on the beach with the clamps is a bit harder. And yes I once trapped the cosy in it and you can see minor traces of that in the cosy's canvas. It doesn't bother me.

I can even leave the safety net in te roof, I unmount it and store it underneath the roof bed in between the battens

Crikey before xmas, let me know when / if it arrives and if not I'll pop some more out to you.

Glad to see its serving you well. Its hard to quantify the difference - but we used ours in Whitby over the new year and woke up to a frost new years day - the three other vans we were with were all full of condensation in the roof - but not us !!!!! :Grin (I did admittedly have the Cali-topper on too) Just had a very small oil filled radiator on and we were nice and snug :thumb

Back