Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

CampervanBits Internal topper

If you scroll through past posts (about November last year) I put some shots on just after I'd fitted mine.
Thanks. I don't remember seeing these photos. :headbang
Hmm, now I'm disappointed because mine looks nothing like that when fitted :sad I wonder if the T6 roof and bellows are a slightly different shape/size to the T5?
Any other T6 owners willing to share photos of a fitted Cali Cozy?

Nick said I would feedback and as they say better late than never. Went away with kids for long weekend at a festival with the Cozy fitted. I would highly recommend based on our experience. The fitting part took around 1.5 hrs and not sure if I fitted to showroom standards but was ok. We have a 2 and 4 year old who sleep upstairs and to be honest I don't think it would have been possible without it, or at least we would have had an even earlier than normal morning wake up. The Ocean canvas is very light and the Cozy makes the roof space much darker which is great, it also cuts down drafts and makes the space warmer. I like the 'fit it and forget it' which for me is really convenient compared to external topper. If anything it amazes me that VW don't just fit a better insulated canvas first time. Many thanks. Tom

That's really good to here Tom. We are waiting on a Cali Cozy for our van in the hope it will give us some later mornings at Glastonbury and other festivals we've got lined up. Our 6 & 4 year olds sleep upstairs and I can't bear the thought of a 5am start to the day!!!

Last weekend we got 7.30am with three (3/5/7year old) kids sleeping upstairs thanks to the cosy, and instead of the 6-7am we have at home in their own completely dark bedrooms. Best cali accessory to order.

How's the fit? Any chance of some photos? Can't get mine to fit even though I've tried 3 times now! :headbang

If you have a look at the second page of this thread there are photos of the original prototype was installed in our van last year.

Hi Nick, apologies if this isn't the correct method, but I would like to order/purchase an internal topper for my (awaited) T6 Ocean, do I do this via your website or via this forum, i.e. a PM to yourself?

Happy to pay a deposit if there is a waiting list!

I had a look on your website but couldn't see them listed?

Many thanks, Carole :thumb

That's really good to here Tom. We are waiting on a Cali Cozy for our van in the hope it will give us some later mornings at Glastonbury and other festivals we've got lined up. Our 6 & 4 year olds sleep upstairs and I can't bear the thought of a 5am start to the day!!!
Im sure you will find it a big help we certainly did. I love the Ocean its absolutely brilliant but the canvas is almost translucent which for kids that are up with the dawn chorus is not good.:)

Hmm, now I'm disappointed because mine looks nothing like that when fitted :sad I wonder if the T6 roof and bellows are a slightly different shape/size to the T5?
Hi Swissian, how are you getting on with the fitting in a T6? Ours looks nothing like the pictures either, it just doesn't seem to fit quite right. I have had particular problems with the adhesive strips which seem to be be the wrong shape for the area they fit to. Let me know if you have had any luck. I will look again tomorrow to see if I can make it look better. Fingers crossed its just me.

Hi Swissian, how are you getting on with the fitting in a T6? Ours looks nothing like the pictures either, it just doesn't seem to fit quite right. I have had particular problems with the adhesive strips which seem to be be the wrong shape for the area they fit to. Let me know if you have had any luck. I will look again tomorrow to see if I can make it look better. Fingers crossed its just me.
Not doing very well at all! :(
It doesn't seems the right shape, with too much fabric in some places (mainly in height at the back) and too little in others (length seems OK at the top, but way too short at the bottom) If I try to fix it like on the video, I would need to stretch it to be able to fix it all the way around the bottom. It then has lots of diagonal waves on the sides that make opening the windows difficult, and secondly the windows don't line up very well with the canvas windows.
I need to e-mail Nick with some pictures but I haven't had chance to make any decent ones yet due to the record amount of rain we've had for the past 3 weeks and my lack of time the very few moments that it wasn't raining!
I must also maybe point out that my Cali is in an underground car park and there is not enough room to raise the roof for drying if I get it wet.

It doesn't seems the right shape, with too much fabric in some places (mainly in height at the back) and too little in others (length seems OK at the top, but way too short at the bottom) If I try to fix it like on the video, I would need to stretch it to be able to fix it all the way around the bottom. It then has lots of diagonal waves on the sides that make opening the windows difficult, and secondly the windows don't line up very well with the canvas windows.
I need to e-mail Nick with some pictures but I haven't had chance to make any decent ones yet due to the record amount of rain we've had for the past 3 weeks and my lack of time the very few moments that it wasn't raining!
I must also maybe point out that my Cali is in an underground car park and there is not enough room to raise the roof for drying if I get it wet.
Our windows don't line up , I do think that's the way they are . Can't help with the rest as we have T5 . Took me most of an afternoon to try and get it right . We are very happy with ours , suggest that Nick will be able to help you the most . Good luck ,
Mrs B

HI
I have just spent the last couple of hours installing the Cozy in my T6. It is a little fiddly but just about got there in the end. You do need to constantly move from bottom to top readjusting the fabric and velcro. The windows do line up so no issues there. A little baggy in some areas but i can live with that. The big plus for us is that the kids will now sleep more comfortably.

Last edited:
Eight nights now in Norway with lots of overnight rain.
The roof canvas is soaking wet but our eighteen month old Cosi

s still working fine. All bedding and mattress bone dry. Glad we didn't bother bringing the topper as we would have got wet through taking it on and off.

Last edited:
Eight nights now in Norway with lots of overnight rain.
The roof canvas is soaking wet but our eighteen month old Visit is still working fine. All bedding and mattress bone dry. Glad we didn't bother bringing the topper as we would have got wet through taking it on and off.
Oh dear - I've probably posted it elsewhere on here, but the first thing us expats get told when we move to Norway and make comments on the weather is "there's no such thing as bad weather, just bad clothes". I carry TWO sets of waterproofs in my Cali and have the awning primarily for drying out why clothes and dogs...

Yes we've got two sets as well Alison. Think we need three though.. Actually quite a nice day here in Bergen so happy bunnies at present.

Just got back from a 5700km road trip in which we've passed quite some hot countries (esp. Croatia all the way to Dubrovnik). In those temperatures, when the car had some out of shade, the self-adhesive velcro of the cali cosy in the front did not stick unfortunately. We have a beach and so the entire front is attached with self adhesive velco. I'm looking for a good way of permanently attaching it on that side. Any ideas?
I wouldn't mind drilling small holes if then the attachment can be more permanent.

Sorry - not caught this thread and looking back at the fitting issues! - feel free to email me with individual questions and I'll do my best to help.

The Cozy was designed to fit both the SE (ocean) and Beach in one go, so there's slight differences on each one. - the Beach tends to be be a little more baggier on the front than the SE - and the SE will have more fabric at the rear than the Beach - this just tucks under the rear cushion at the back and vecros the the floor of the roof. That said I've personally fitted it to several SE's and Beaches with no issues - it just takes some time. And I've had one in my SE for the best part of a year now and its been brilliant - especially with the noise!

The early versions of the cozy had the zipped windows a little further back than the original canvas - but the revised version corrected this.

Hope this helps a bit if not get in touch and I'll be happy to help.

I have some screw in poppers I can send you if you're willing to go down that route ??
That's how one of the other internal liner is fitted - but we wanted to avoid it for obvious reasons.

Here's a pictures - -http://www.justkampers.com/snap-fastener-kit-studs-and-poppers.html
No need to send me that, shipping is probably more than what it's worth.

But what would probably work best for the beach.. there is no front window. Instead it has this stiff "thing" (what do you call it?) which bends in the middle and makes sure the front cancas goes inwards. We could use the same system as on the other sides- a T-shaped velcro that slides in an provides in the middle of the front a supported piece of self adhesive velcro.
I have some unused cali cosy attachment pieces lying around (not necessary for the beach it said in the manual) and I will try that. It seems to fit fine. But first I have to find some time to remove all the leftovers of glue from the self adhesive velcro.

Hi Nick - does the cozi allow for all of the three windows to be completely exposed when it is unzipped? I do fancy a cozy, but I need to convince my wife and we both love to be able to gaze through the opened windows on starry nights and sunny dawns. To have any of our 3 views out at all impeded would be curtains for the cozy (Sorry!)

Cheers

Ian

I am trying to contact Comfortz by their mailadress to confirm the Cozy will fit a T6 Beach, but no reply.

You might need to phone Nick as there is a note on his website saying they are on holidays from the 28th, so probably busy shipping orders prior to leaving?

I am trying to contact Comfortz by their mailadress to confirm the Cozy will fit a T6 Beach, but no reply.
I see others have already replied, but it's worth noting Nick has / had 2 email addresses and one of them stopped working a couple of months back. He posted about at the time but maybe some links take you to the wrong one.

Thank you. Comfortz homepage has the wrong adress which is a aol.com adress.
Nick replied he will do a specific Beach version which I will await.

Having seen Brywy's Cali Cozy at the Lower Lode I'm now certain I want one of these, but anyone give me a clue as to the price? - approximate will do!

Back