Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Introducing myself. Juliet Lewis

Hi everyone,
I've already received some useful advice, so thank you for that. I'm looking to buy my first camper van, somewhat nervously. There don't seem to be so many Calis for sale at the moment and I'm still dithering, not sure if I want an Ocean or a Beach and how much money I want to spend. How long does this process last I wonder. I would welcome some help with it all and any information about where I can look for a second hand Cali, not so old but not so new either. I'm a retired single person but have a sometime travelling companion and plenty of friends in Europe to visit.
Hi Julie
We had same dilemma and bought a cancelled order with 12 delivery miles on clock from VW Leicester
SE 180Bhpwith dsg
It's fantastic and we thoroughly recommend it!

We have now owned our California for 6 months. Our top tips from this site have been:
1. Buy the real thing or don't bother. Thankyou everyone
2. Buy a Cali topper. Thankyou Nick at Comforts
3. Buy a bellows bungee. Thankyou site shop
4. Use recyclable plates bowls and cutlery. Costco are the cheapest and best. (Thankyou GJen.)
5. Buy a Daewoo QT1 microwave. There may be some on here who can cater for 5000 in their Cali with three loaves and two fishes I am not one of them. We stay on sites with hook up and it has been the best buy so far.

Hi Juliet,
I've recently bought myself a one year old Cali SE or Ocean and don't regret it at all. I previously looked at conversions but found they were also expensive to do and at the end of the day you were spending a fortune on a VW Transporter body.
The Ocean is so beautifully done and wonderful to drive. I use it as my main vehicle as I sold my car, so I drive it all the time. I'm also on my own and so it is easier for me to set up. I like to walk the dogs sometimes and just stop for a brew to take in the moment. I like going on spontaneous wild camps whenever I want, just locally somewhere as Devon is so beautiful. I've been practising and will gradually go further afield.
Not sure where you live but would be happy to meet up to take you through it. Alternatively go to a local VW van centre like I did and ask for a demo.
All the best.
Hi Nadine,
I'm also planning to use the Cali (which I hope to find soon) as my only vehicle. I can't afford to run two cars. This is the main reason for thinking a VW will suit me best. How are you getting on with yours? Do you like travelling in it on your own? I live in West Dorset so possibly not far away from you. It would certainly be great to meet up with you.
Kind regards
Juliet

Hi Nadine,
I'm also planning to use the Cali (which I hope to find soon) as my only vehicle. I can't afford to run two cars. This is the main reason for thinking a VW will suit me best. How are you getting on with yours? Do you like travelling in it on your own? I live in West Dorset so possibly not far away from you. It would certainly be great to meet up with you.
Kind regards
Juliet
Hi Juliet, nice to hear from you. I am loving my Cali and having it as my main vehicle, its a dream to drive and a thrill every time I start her up. I have a 180bhp automatic which is amazing, so smooth, thorough recommend an auto. I love using it for walks I do every day with my dogs and then sometimes making a brew and just chilling afterwards, soaking up the scene. I've also done lots of single nights away on my own with the dogs who are great company, I like to go wild camping. This year I am planning a short trip to France in March, just to break things in and test it out with the dogs, and then intend to do as many trips as I can to Europe over the year.
It would be great to meet. How does one message privately on this site?
Kind Regards
Nadine

Hi Juliet, nice to hear from you. I am loving my Cali and having it as my main vehicle, its a dream to drive and a thrill every time I start her up. I have a 180bhp automatic which is amazing, so smooth, thorough recommend an auto. I love using it for walks I do every day with my dogs and then sometimes making a brew and just chilling afterwards, soaking up the scene. I've also done lots of single nights away on my own with the dogs who are great company, I like to go wild camping. This year I am planning a short trip to France in March, just to break things in and test it out with the dogs, and then intend to do as many trips as I can to Europe over the year.
It would be great to meet. How does one message privately on this site?
Kind Regards
Nadine
Hi Nadine,
Thank you for your reply.
My email address is ######
I'd very much appreciate the opportunity to meet up and talk Calis with you. I can get to Exmouth quite easily from Bridport. Let me know when might suit you.
Best wishes
Juliet

Last edited by a moderator:
Juliet, I have edited out your email address to protect your privacy and forwarded the message direct to Nadine for you.

Sent using Tapatalk

Hi Nadine,
I'd very much appreciate the opportunity to meet up and talk Calis with you. I can get to Exmouth quite easily from Bridport. Let me know when might suit you.
Best wishes
Juliet
Better to use Private Messaging , which is available to VIP members, to send such details. It's like a VIP members own email service but only between VIP members.
It's called " Conversations ". See the little - Envelope Icon - next to your name at the top of the page.

Hi Nadine,
Best wishes
Juliet
Hi Juliet I also live in bridport. I have a t6 204 dsg ocean which will be for sale in February. and it will be on the club for sale site. waiting delivery new t6

Now tends to be the time for sales by people who don't want to keep them on the drive over winter. They are in short supply. You just have to look regularly, like 2 x a day because they go like hot cakes. Don't forget this site, VW and companies selling motorhomes etc: who may take them in part-ex
Thanks for this! Am looking every day but anything over ÂŁ35,000 makes me feel nervous.

Would anyone be interested in meeting up somewhere on the Jurassic coast and giving me some Cali tuition? There's a lot I don't understand about how things work and it would be so nice to talk through things rather than poring over the handbook. Happy to offer remuneration!

Would anyone be interested in meeting up somewhere on the Jurassic coast and giving me some Cali tuition? There's a lot I don't understand about how things work and it would be so nice to talk through things rather than poring over the handbook. Happy to offer remuneration!
Ha ha! Juliet, people on here just need an opportunity to show around their vehicle. :) No need for any remuneration. Infact, they will be happy to make a cuppa for you.

The best way to do it - Pick a date and a time and ask how many people can make it. Can be an breakfast meetup on a Saturday morning.

Hi Nadine,
Best wishes
Juliet
Hi Juliet. We don't have a Cali at the mo, but happy to help with any tips. We live in Bridport too.

I've just renewed my membership and am looking forward to communicating with other members. It's so good to know there's so much support out there. I'm very fond of my van and love driving it and speculating about places to go. But I'm getting older now (73), and at times I think I'm not strong or confident enough to stick with it. Then I think of somewhere I'd love to go! Not quite ready to let it go yet. The van is a T5, six years old and in excellent condition so it shouldn't cause me too many worries. Recently I've had problems with the battery and I've posted a thread about that. Looking forward to staying somewhere near the Eden Project in Cornwall so if anyone knows of a nice campsite in that area I'd be very interested.

Juliet, that is such an inspiring outlook. We live in such a beautiful country and having a vehicle like a Cali, that is so easy to drive, we can always plan to travel easily. Hope the battery problems get sorted out.

Not been to this campsite myself, but when looking for campsites near the Eden project last year, came across The Grey Farm Campsite, which had great reviews. I am sure that someone will come along and provide you with better suggestions.

Enjoy the travels.

Back