Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Introducing myself. Juliet Lewis

J

Juliet Lewis

Guest User
Hi everyone,
I've already received some useful advice, so thank you for that. I'm looking to buy my first camper van, somewhat nervously. There don't seem to be so many Calis for sale at the moment and I'm still dithering, not sure if I want an Ocean or a Beach and how much money I want to spend. How long does this process last I wonder. I would welcome some help with it all and any information about where I can look for a second hand Cali, not so old but not so new either. I'm a retired single person but have a sometime travelling companion and plenty of friends in Europe to visit.

Hi and welcome!

I think the first thing you need to ask yourself is how you want to holiday in it.

The beach as a general rule is versatile as a van but takes a little more effort to camp in over the SE. It has no kitchen but has more living space. The roof is manual (not electric) and the camping/parking heater is optional so not always fitted. There is a 2 and 3 seat version, the 2 seat has a basic cooler type fridge and storage the 3 seat does not (but has an extra seat).

The SE on the other hand has a built in kitchen and storage unit with a camping fridge. The roof is electric which is easier to use. Some would argue its more complicated if anything goes wrong but you will find it much easier setting up on site with more automation.

If you want to use the van primarily for holidays mostly alone or with 2 of you then I think the SE may be more suited. If you want a more versatile van you can use for doing everything from camping to carrying lots of people or even help moving then the beach may be more your cup of tea.

There is no perfect solution but there is probably one that fits you best.

Hi everyone,
I've already received some useful advice, so thank you for that. I'm looking to buy my first camper van, somewhat nervously. There don't seem to be so many Calis for sale at the moment and I'm still dithering, not sure if I want an Ocean or a Beach and how much money I want to spend. How long does this process last I wonder. I would welcome some help with it all and any information about where I can look for a second hand Cali, not so old but not so new either. I'm a retired single person but have a sometime travelling companion and plenty of friends in Europe to visit.
:welcome:welcome:welcome:welcome

Well your first decision is which California do you require/need.

1. Maximum number of Passengers at anytime? 5 or more has to be a Beach.

2. Will you be cooking/making tea etc: in the Van? If YES, either will do But you will have to budget for some sort of kitchen pod with the Beach whereas the SE/Ocean has everything you require.

3. All year round use? If YES then the Diesel Parking Heater is a must. It is an extra on the Beach, but can be retro fitted, and included on the SE/Ocean.

4. Mains Electric Hookup? Included on the SE/Ocean . Not all Beaches have this installed but easily retro fitted.

T6 second hand will be in short supply as there are long lead times for a new vehicle. It's predecessor the T5.1 Beach and SE are around but they hold their second hand value well .

Have fun deciding.:thumb

Juliet, welcome.

I went all through those agonies three years ago and finally came to the conclusion that if I ordered everything I would want for nothing but my regret spending too much, and if I went bare minimum then I could add in whatever I wanted but probably not have the right bit when I want it :shocked

As Matt says, it's down to how you use it. I would never be without a kitchen even though most of the time I use my portable oven for cooking, but it's that sheer convenience of being able to stop, find a plate for a sandwich, a knife to cut it with, a kettle to boil for a cup of tea or soup and never have to move anything, find anything, search for anything.

Equally the fridge, there is just always something I want chilled or keeping cold, but again hardly ever used to maximum.

On board heating also is for me indispensable.

However, horses for courses ....

Thanks so much for your prompt and very helpful replies.
I think the T5 SE is going to be the best choice for me. Are they in very short supply? I can't afford a brand new one but there don't seem to be many around. Might there be more for sale in the Spring?

I think the T5 SE is going to be the best choice for me. Are they in very short supply? I can't afford a brand new one but there don't seem to be many around. Might there be more for sale in the Spring?
Now tends to be the time for sales by people who don't want to keep them on the drive over winter. They are in short supply. You just have to look regularly, like 2 x a day because they go like hot cakes. Don't forget this site, VW and companies selling motorhomes etc: who may take them in part-ex

Before we ordered a new van we hired twice. Went to France once and later a trip within England as thats the sort of thing we. are hoing to do. I know the company we hired from sells on the ex rental vans as the company recently sent me a list of them for sale. Both hires were in near new condition and come with some of the necessary extras. You could try them Kamper Hire in Droxford Hampshire.

Hello, Juliet, and welcome.
I bought one of the last T5 SEs in Autumn 2015 and love it. As people have said, it does come down to how you plan to use the vehicle. For me, the convenience of the kitchen unit really makes the trips. Everything to hand from the comfort of the rear seat! Good luck with your search for a vehicle.

Hi Juliet, and welcome. As others have said on here, so much does depend on how you use it as to what to go for, but personally speaking, I wouldn't be too concerned about choosing a T5 over a T6. The differences are pretty marginal and I wouldn't see it as a compromise.

As Kyffin suggests, hiring for a weekend is a great tip if you have any doubts.

Finding a second hand one isn't hugely difficult, especially if you're willing to travel to take a look. The For Sale section of this site is a pretty good start point.

Good luck with the search and keep us posted as to how you fair.

Before we ordered a new van we hired twice. Went to France once and later a trip within England as thats the sort of thing we. are hoing to do. I know the company we hired from sells on the ex rental vans as the company recently sent me a list of them for sale. Both hires were in near new condition and come with some of the necessary extras. You could try them Kamper Hire in Droxford Hampshire.

I hired mine off Mark,

Excellent. In new condition .... until I bent it on my gate post :sad

One thing to keep in mind is that Cali prices are comparatively high compared to fully specced motor homes.

For the price of a Cali Ocean one can buy a high spec new German built motor home - a house/apartment in one. Reason many buy Calis is that would prefer a van over a full on motorhome.

If you have already made the decision you prefer a camper van then a Cali enters the equation. There may also be less expensive Ford and Hyundai camper vans out there. I would suspect the savings are greater than any reduction in functionality.

Essentially the Cali is an expensive camper van - not grudging the price, but do make sure that you are sure this is what you want.

Hi
I've not read this complete thread so apologies to the OP if this is a repeat. Are you sure you want a camper, hire before making the decision. I know of one couple that were set on getting a camper. After a hire/trial they concluded that the reduction in space and mainly I think lack of loo sealed the deal for them and the put their hard earned elsewhere.

We hired and it confirmed for us that it would work, although we have no pets, no kids and no plants. So nothing to look after or get someone to tend. So we can bobo* anytime ;)

*The Worlds End reference.

If you have already made the decision you prefer a camper van then a Cali enters the equation. There may also be less expensive Ford and Hyundai camper vans out there. I would suspect the savings are greater than any reduction in functionality.
That is very true and worth considering, you can get a lot of van for quite a lot less money if you go with other marques. they offer some different layouts and designs that VW don't That said they will generally depreciate faster than a Cali will.

Campers no matter how old always seem to have some residual value as long as they work.How long you intend to keep the vehicle may influence this area of decisions too if depreciation is of importance to you.

Hi
I've not read this complete thread so apologies to the OP if this is a repeat. Are you sure you want a camper, hire before making the decision. I know of one couple that were set on getting a camper. After a hire/trial they concluded that the reduction in space and mainly I think lack of loo sealed the deal for them and the put their hard earned elsewhere.

We hired and it confirmed for us that it would work, although we have no pets, no kids and no plants. So nothing to look after or get someone to tend. So we can bobo* anytime ;)

*The Worlds End reference.

She stated here
https://vwcaliforniaclub.com/threads/looking-for-my-first-camper-van.16227/
Wanting a Cali and goin to hire one ....if non of the above changed her mind already:D

Don't wait until spring, now is the best time to buy if you can find one.

Spring is when everyone wants one and no one wants to sell.

I've just bought mine from this site. I had been looking since June & of course, none wants to sell them in the summer. I was very lucky to get this one as it's 4 years old and in fantastic condition. Good luck

Hi everyone,
Hi Juliet,
I've recently bought myself a one year old Cali SE or Ocean and don't regret it at all. I previously looked at conversions but found they were also expensive to do and at the end of the day you were spending a fortune on a VW Transporter body.
The Ocean is so beautifully done and wonderful to drive. I use it as my main vehicle as I sold my car, so I drive it all the time. I'm also on my own and so it is easier for me to set up. I like to walk the dogs sometimes and just stop for a brew to take in the moment. I like going on spontaneous wild camps whenever I want, just locally somewhere as Devon is so beautiful. I've been practising and will gradually go further afield.
Not sure where you live but would be happy to meet up to take you through it. Alternatively go to a local VW van centre like I did and ask for a demo.
All the best.

Juliet, welcome.

I went all through those agonies three years ago and finally came to the conclusion that if I ordered everything I would want for nothing but my regret spending too much, and if I went bare minimum then I could add in whatever I wanted but probably not have the right bit when I want it :shocked

As Matt says, it's down to how you use it. I would never be without a kitchen even though most of the time I use my portable oven for cooking, but it's that sheer convenience of being able to stop, find a plate for a sandwich, a knife to cut it with, a kettle to boil for a cup of tea or soup and never have to move anything, find anything, search for anything.

Equally the fridge, there is just always something I want chilled or keeping cold, but again hardly ever used to maximum.

On board heating also is for me indispensable.

However, horses for courses ....

Hi. Oven sounds like good idea. Is your oven a low voltage one and is it possible/wise to use when not on a hook up?

Thanks

Hi. Oven sounds like good idea. Is your oven a low voltage one and is it possible/wise to use when not on a hook up?

Thanks

No. Mine is 800V as seen here although I am looking at a hob unit such as this one for when not on hook up.

I also have a 12V oven but it's so small so it quite limited.

Last edited:
Is that why there are no EHUs available near you when you camp? You have them all joined together:)
Maybe @GrannyJen was responsible for this warming her pie up:-

Back