Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Is it best to wait for VW assist

B

Blueeyedboy

Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180 4Motion
Hi all after 9 lucky years of puncture free I’ve managed to get one on our way home this morning. Not sure given the weight of vehicle to try and swap over or just wait for kind assistance.
Just frustrating in this heat with kids and our dog.
Thanks

Hi all after 9 lucky years of puncture free I’ve managed to get one on our way home this morning. Not sure given the weight of vehicle to try and swap over or just wait for kind assistance.
Thanks
Where are you? Be tempted to wait tbh.

Thanks
I personally would, and have swapped the wheel. But I have to say it can be quite hard so if you are not mechanical minded might be best to leave it. The biggest problem is getting it secure enough with the wobbly jack to kick the wheel hard to remove it from the hub. They stick on quite badly normally turning back to it and using your heel to kick the top of the wheel hard, brings it off. But on the wobbly jack I was worried it would fall over. I ended up laying on the floor using the tent peg mallet to bash the c**p out of it while my wife rotated it instead. It was hard work.

Thanks
If you do do it you need to keep everyone away from it and don't go under, if it goes off the jack the weight is huge and will do you a terrible injury.

Hi thanks for the reply’s. Whilst a few years ago I would have happily changed it I’m going to do the sensible thing and wait for AA.
I’m roughly an hour from home so least when they do turn up all should be well.
Was hoping to catch a few waves too later.
Oh well could be a lot worse.
Take care all.

After 9 years if you haven’t taken the spare wheel off it could well need some extra air. Have you got a pump in the van? Plus like the others have said the wheel could well be corroded on and could need a sledge hammer to get it loose. I would call the breakdown service, that’s what you pay for it for.

If you try yourself, undo the bolts a turn on the floor and rock the van side to side before jacking. It should help free the wheel from the hub and has zero risk of falling off the jack.
May be a bit difficult rocking the van side to side with a flat tyre.
Best wait for the breakdown to arrive.

May be a bit difficult rocking the van side to side with a flat tyre.
Best wait for the breakdown to arrive.
I’ve not known a flat tyre stop my suspension springs working.

luckily for us as the van is relatively new the AA chap had no issues getting it off
Apart from van sliding a little on trolley Jack at first.
He did say the previous night had to change another California’s tyre, getting off the spare was challenging. Copper grease the nut just general maintenance.
Upshot today new tyre ordered, wrong size fitted back tomorrow again for replacement.
Hopefully will be sorted for another venture this weekend.

Back