Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Is it safe to drive?

C

Calistu

Vehicle
T5 Beach
Hello!

I’m driving in France along the motorway and suddenly three lights came flashing on all at once with a ‘Bing’. The tyre inspection light started blinking, and the ABS error message came up. The third light lit was the skirt traction control light. Then the tyre pressure drop indicator starts saying it’s not functioning anymore. It won’t tell me which tyre.

I had a tyre replaced a day ago and the whole van serviced last week before getting on the ferry, so I’m reasonably confident the tyres are good. However to be sure I’ve checked the pressures and they all seem consistent with each other.

I thought it might be the tyres all needing reset, so I’ve reset their values and they’re all around 4bar.

Having looked at a whole
bunch of threads on here I’m thinking of waiting til I get back to England to address the sensor issue and just keeping an eye on the tyre pressures with a digital measure.

Is this a stupid idea? Any thoughts welcome!

I’m driving a 2015 Beach Cali. Around 90,000 miles on the clock.
Full service just done.

Has the tyre pressure monitor been reset?
It is in the MFD menu.

If that’s the menu on the steering wheel then yes. First thing I thought of…

is 4 bar not too high pressure ? Maybe the warning means tire pressure is too high ?
had this one time after getting new tires, tire center overinflated one tire.

is 4 bar not too high pressure ? Maybe the warning means tire pressure is too high ?
had this one time after getting new tires, tire center overinflated one tire.
Good shout. I’ve just looked and the recommended is 2.7 rear and 3.1 front. That might have some impact eh!? Will get to a garage and sort that out in the morning and report back! Thank you!

An ABS sensor failure may well give you all those faults. Should still be drivable but you’ll have to check tyre pressures manually. ABS and traction control won’t work and nor will indirect tyre pressure monitoring.

Hello!

I’m driving in France along the motorway and suddenly three lights came flashing on all at once with a ‘Bing’. The tyre inspection light started blinking, and the ABS error message came up. The third light lit was the skirt traction control light. Then the tyre pressure drop indicator starts saying it’s not functioning anymore. It won’t tell me which tyre.

I had a tyre replaced a day ago and the whole van serviced last week before getting on the ferry, so I’m reasonably confident the tyres are good. However to be sure I’ve checked the pressures and they all seem consistent with each other.

I thought it might be the tyres all needing reset, so I’ve reset their values and they’re all around 4bar.

Having looked at a whole
bunch of threads on here I’m thinking of waiting til I get back to England to address the sensor issue and just keeping an eye on the tyre pressures with a digital measure.

Is this a stupid idea? Any thoughts welcome!

I’m driving a 2015 Beach Cali. Around 90,000 miles on the clock.
Full service just done.
As said above ABS sensor is the most likely cause. Nothing to do with tyre pressures, although 4Bar is significantly over pressure if that is the pressure Cold, but maybe not if measured Hot after prolonged driving.

Yikes.....running at4 bar! Probably best getting your teeth checked whilst having the abs sensor replaced.....

We had an ABS sensor go last year in Ireland. Drove about 600 miles home without any bother. Just be aware that ABS won't work if it's gone.. Worth replacing in pairs as well. Ours was a rear and the other one went a month later. We have a Carista tool so it was immediately obvious what it was so decided to get home and fix it rather than mess about on holiday.

Back