Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Is rust normal on older T5s?

CampervanTime

CampervanTime

VIP Member
Vehicle
Westy Sven Hedin
Hi everyone

I went to have a quick look round a 95k mile 2009 T5 California SE today at VW Leicester.

Interior looks in great condition but I saw some rust on it on both sills and the lower back edges of the front doors.

Is this normal or a repair job that hasn't been done properly? Was just really shocked to see this (photos attached) on a VW retailed van, priced at £30k!

Cheers

5E99065C-FEDE-466C-B415-81399F4548BB.JPG 08B385F6-C05A-4896-A8AD-30B30D7200C3.JPG C60D7B30-3D11-4CCC-ACDE-B6122A178A31.JPG

Photos 2 & 3 look like stone chips/damage that have not been treated.
Photo1 is on a seam/welding. Easily sorted, but that Panel, the section bellow the Fuel flap, doesn't look as if it is properly positioned.

Haven't seen rust like that on our 2008. Maybe there were a few knocks when they've fitted those side bars?

Good point re the panel fit - forgot to really look at that but I must say, the passenger side long body panel under the windows didn't look 'perfect' to me. Almost like it had a load of door dings that they've had a cheap guy remove, not one that knows what they are doing. I wonder if it's had that panel damaged and repaired then, hence the fit etc.

Haven't seen rust like that on our 2008. Maybe there were a few knocks when they've fitted those side bars?
But has yours covered 12,000 miles / year. That California has obviously been used as intended and those areas of rust after that many miles, I would suggest, are not really unexpected.

• Agree
Reactions: Sad
But has yours covered 12,000 miles / year. That California has obviously been used as intended and those areas of rust after that many miles, I would suggest, are not really unexpected.

No she hasn't, but to have covered 7000 miles per year and have a slightly knocked about interior may suggest it has been used as intended? 12000miles a year and a pristine interior would suggest a daily driver with little camping?
Ours has 1 small area of rust at the bottom of the drivers door, but nothing like the OP.