Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Is the California now a motor-home?

J

jeff16

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180
We took delivery of our long awaited California a couple of months ago and found a space where we could spare time away for a quick visit to Germany. The issues in Calais did not help in making life easy but we opted to go Dover - Dunkirk with DFDS. I thought we had picked a suitable couple of time slots only to be told that as our vehicle was classed as a motor-home only a few ferries had space. OK to take the Ford Galaxy with seven passengers, top box and range of bikes and book as a car but not a California.I note on the tunnel site they have a clear category of "campervan" but not on the ferry. Has anybody else had the same experience or were they just being difficult because it is a hectic time?

We hardly ever book anything ahead, but certainly never book as a mobile home. Not anything, not ferry's, not campsites, nothing.
When we book ahead (seldom), we try to always book like this (car, <2m, <5m), has never been an issue anywhere.

We have taken that ferry (Dover-Dunkirk) several times, always booked on line in advance via aferry.com as a 'car' under 5m long, under 2 m high, never been an issue... Nor on any other ferry, for that matter.

I think it's something to do with the gas bottle.... I'm sure someone will clarify later :)

DVLA class the 'SE' as a motorhome, as stated on my V5C. It meets the criteria of a fixed bed and fixed cooking facilities.

We hardly ever book anything ahead, but certainly never book as a mobile home. Not anything, not ferry's, not campsites, nothing.
When we book ahead (seldom), we try to always book like this (car, <2m, <5m), has never been an issue anywhere.

We have taken that ferry (Dover-Dunkirk) several times, always booked on line in advance via aferry.com as a 'car' under 5m long, under 2 m high, never been an issue... Nor on any other ferry, for that matter.

Never had problem we book as a caravelle, and have done so for the last 8 years.
Don't understand issue with gas bottle??

John

Back