Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Is the sliding door on the wrong side an issue with kids?

A

AndyFromTheBrac

Guest User
Hi there

Is the sliding door on the traffic side a problem for anyone?

We're on the brink of going the Cali route. I've done countless research, with VW vs the various quality conversion companies. They all offer great-looking vans, but as we want a 5-seater, it becomes a compromise; wider rear bench, narrower kitchen or worse the van-like bench seats up front!

The 5th seat option really did seem the best bet and we were looking at factoring this into the build, when suddenly I'm entering Berghaus prices and thought this is silly.

So, having previously discounted the Cali, as the sliding door is on the wrong/traffic side, I'm wondering is this a real niggle (as we originally thought) or just something you get used to? We have a new baby and the idea is to have him in the 5th seat, easy in-out etc.

Realise I'm going to get slightly biased replies here and it's only when parking in the street (it'll be on our drive) but as it's destined to be our only car, I wonder if this will become a pain?

Thanks,

Andy

Re: Is the sliding door on the wrong side an issue with kids

i had the issue with the door on the lhd side as i think a lot of owners did,but i haven't found one that has a problem with it now they have one ...I know i don't even think about now and i like it more sometimes ,as i control the door easier and don't have to walk around the bus to open it .... :thumb

We have a 2yr old and it doesn't cause us an issue. If anything the sliding door is better as it slides back out of the way and you don't have to worry about it sticking out into the traffic.

Another perspective - in a car your child will be in a child seat, fixed to one side of the car. Unless you always aim the park the car with that side to the pavement there are times when it will, open into the road. The Cali is no different is it, sometimes you'll open the door onto the road, others onto the pavement.

You can also climb into the back of a Cali to fiddle with child seat straps which I would suggest is also safer than being in the road.

Lastly, unless its retro fitted you won't find a Berghaus with a 5th seat.

Good luck with the search.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

we have 9, 7 and now 9 month old children.

so far no issues. mostly park off road or in car parks. when on the road, i look for a spot so you park the door next to the pavement.

only issues now are my wife wants a 7 seater!! (so she can take friends......)

for daily driving when not camping i remove the rear shelf and push the back seat right to the back. The fifth seat is turned to face backwards into the cab, which middle son finds an amazing adventure. Baby on the back bench next to the door and either one of the rest of us next to him depending on if he needs entertaining or not.

we have a 4 and a 6 year old and it's never been an issue. If anything, it's easier and quicker to get to them if it''s just the driver in the car as the door is right there without having to go round the van.

If we ever do park roadside by a busy road then the kids can always go between the front seats and out the front passenger door.

Just a word on the 5th seat option (which we have but don't really use) - whilst the seat is very good and secure, it's very heavy to lift in and out.

Cheers guys, all really useful info. My wife was the one most concerned, but this is becoming less & less a worry as we look at all the other positives over a van conversion; eg Factory finishes, velle-based, dealers everywhere, trick equipment levels & high residuals (not that I'll ever want to sell!)

I think we are all but swayed, the Cali just seems to be a perfect fit (even with that door) :)

Sorry Stu I meant the conversion co were moving into Berghaus prices, I'm just looking for an SE to be honest.

The main benefit is that on the RHD Cali the kitchen is not behind the drivers seat which has advantages.........

That's it though, there is a downside to the door being on the traffic side, silly to pretend not.

I think the safety / crash testing done on the whole vehicle out ways the risk with the door on the road side. As said you can walk through the front seats on the occasions the road side is very busy

AndyFromTheBrac said:
Cheers guys, all really useful info. My wife was the one most concerned, but this is becoming less & less a worry as we look at all the other positives over a van conversion; eg Factory finishes, velle-based, dealers everywhere, trick equipment levels & high residuals (not that I'll ever want to sell!)

I think we are all but swayed, the Cali just seems to be a perfect fit (even with that door) :)

Sorry Stu I meant the conversion co were moving into Berghaus prices, I'm just looking for an SE to be honest.

Hi Andy

I have three children, and I've never had an issue with the door on the right, you just learn to pull up on the RH side of the road where possible, or as has already been stated if you need to get into the back go between the front seats. As a driver the layout is easier having the sliding door directly behind you :thumb

Reference the five seaters, all of mine are 5 seat California's. Are you looking new or used, as I have my old Candy white California up for sale - 2012/12 180 DSG if any good. If not good luck with your search

Thanks (again!) Oli, I think that sorts me out... live with it seems like the best option - TBH of the dozens of different conversions I've looked at, ALL have some kind of compromise or start to head the wrong side of 40k which is crazy.

Re the white 180... it's close to what I'm looking for, but I'm not back home in UK until early next year, so I'll pass for now (plus white isnt my colour of choice tbh)

Andy

its really good to see people with young families having Calis....and hear their perspectives on sliding door issue....

Epilogue: (2 years in) I thought I'd just add a footnote to this saying that this slider has never been an issue whatsoever. On the odd occasion we park on the street I either choose to park on the opposite side or the wee lad can come out through the front. We clearly over-thought this when we were looking to buy and unless you have to park on the street overnight I'd say this would never give cause to concern!

We now have a granddaughter and we have not encountered any problems with the suicide door as it is commonly called.

John

A 6 and 3 year old for us; we've had the Cali three years with no issues; I find being able to get out of the drivers door then open the slider right behind me very handy.
On the few occasions when it's been a busy road, we all get out of the front passenger door.

We had a caravelle with twin sliding doors, thought I'd miss using the near side door but its actually easier as most of the time I'm driving the cali beach on my own. I park the passengers side close to the wall/next car etc leaving extra space for driver and children (1, 4, 6yrs) to get out. If parallel parking then I just park facing the oncoming traffic.

The extra seat is a real pain to get in/out. We have a beach so ours sits in the shed most of the time unless we're taking any extra passengers. Wouldn't want to take the extra seat camping as it takes up so much space and is ridiculously heavy to lift in/out.

Back