Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Is this gas bottle past it?

Haves1979

Haves1979

Vehicle
T5 SE 140
Wasn't sure where to post this..

Bought a gas bottle of gumtree, and i'm interested to know if this useable or past it? Was only £7 but seems to have a reasonable amount of gas in it, so thought I'd use rather than trade in. Looked fine in the photos but the base looks a bit rougher than I thought.

20210211_165846.jpg

20210211_165903.jpg

Wasn't sure where to post this..

Bought a gas bottle of gumtree, and i'm interested to know if this useable or past it? Was only £7 but seems to have a reasonable amount of gas in it, so thought I'd use rather than trade in. Looked fine in the photos but the base looks a bit rougher than I thought.

View attachment 73435

View attachment 73436

Would happily use it. Seen far worse.

Remember, Butane is heavier than air ... and in case it leaks, the gas will drop out through the vent hole at the bottom of the cylinder carrier area.

Though, before I put it in place, would cut a PVC tube in half, and put it around the perimeter of the bottom rim to stop it from rubbing against the plastic tank. You can reuse that PVC pipe piece for the cylinder that you will replace.

You would be surprised how old many Camping Gaz cylinders are. I had one dated 1967 only last year.

Alan

If it's holding gas then not too old :)

Get the gas used and the bottle swapped.

I would only be happy carrying that in the gas locker, I wouldn't want it just in the boot as a spare.

Use the gas up and look forward to swapping it for a shiny clean blue one. You need the screw in handle or the shops are sniffy.

Don't have the handle unfortunately, the
Bottle came with a standard type regulator.
Get the handle linked above. The retailer will probably not accept the canister for exchange without the screw cap/handle.

Don't have the handle unfortunately, the
Bottle came with a standard type regulator.
Just take it to swap and take the handle of the new one and hand it back to put on the old one. You don’t really need a handle.

I can't return any gas bottle without the correct
stopper or cap on it.
Nearly once was refused for a half tatty 907, half tatty
in german = mint in the UK, so i'm always a bit careful.

That one above looks like its been dragged up from the bottom of an Ocean :)

Personally I would not use it in my van. It’s all rusty underneath and that rust will come off and be deposited in the base of the bottle holder. Might not matter to others that the gas bottle holder is dirty but I prefer to keep as many areas clean. Besides, how can you tell how robust the bottle is with that rust? The strength must be compromised to some extent. Right it off as a bad buy and get a newer one. I think I paid around £30 for a new full bottle from Chorley Gas ( not an exchange). My first bottle lasted 3 years and if it’s the same for you, it may be in your van a long time.