Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Is this sign of leaking RAM?

szczota81

szczota81

Vehicle
T5 SE 140 4Motion
I have a problem with hydraulic roof which is sagging on one side. I know the oil level in pump is low and I am looking for some leakage. The passenger side ram looks like on the picture and bolt on the cover was rusted.
Is there any other place where the oil can escape? Pump and connections are dray.

Any one knows which oil is in the system?
IMG_3576.jpeg

This is the oil you should use.
The rusty screw is normal.
IMG_7110.JPG

I'm also facing the problem of sagging of the roof at Right site.
After a cold day is less than when it has been a warm day (approx. 5 cm)
Could it be a leaking oilseal in the cylinder?
If so; can this seal be replaced?
€ 790,- for an official replacement of the cylinders by WV by a dealer is quite expensive!
Thank you in advance
Walter (Holland)

€ 790,- for an official replacement of the cylinders by WV by a dealer is quite expensive!
Thank you in advance
Walter (Holland)
They are sealed units. In fact I don’t know if there are seals/valves in the rams. All that is controlled by the hydraulic pump/ valve unit.

In fact, if you swap the in/out lines on the pump unit and the sag moves to the other side then this would confirm the pump. If it stays on the same side then the ram.

Thank you in advance
Walter (Holland)
Does the roof not automatically correct? It should do this after 10 hours of removing ignition key, then every 5 hours.

@WelshGas; Thank you for the tip of swapping de hydraulic lines. I will pick this up after the holidays.

@ArunAlec ; I own a T5 from January 2005.
I never noticed automatically correcting of the roof. Is this an option that can be programmed in the control unit or is it added later serrie of the VW T5

@WelshGas; Thank you for the tip of swapping de hydraulic lines. I will pick this up after the holidays.

@ArunAlec ; I own a T5 from January 2005.
I never noticed automatically correcting of the roof. Is this an option that can be programmed in the control unit or is it added later serrie of the VW T5
As far as I’m aware the auto correct is standard. Certainly was on my T5.1 and cannot be accessed from control unit.
My handbook explains it’s functioning so might be worth checking yours for confirmation that it’s there.

Last edited:
I checked the handbook. No information about the auto correct function. So I have to do is manualy (what I allready deed.)

As far as I’m aware the auto correct is standard. Certainly was on my T5.1 and cannot be accessed from control unit.
My handbook explains it’s functioning so might be worth checking yours for confirmation that it’s there.
Don’t think the original T5 California had this feature, mine doesn’t

It’s no great loss as they tend to operate half way through the night!

ive got a 2008 Cali which has auto correct, seems to always be in the middle of the night when it corrects itself.

I own a T5.1 from 2011 and have never experienced autocorrect.

in that case I hope I will never experience it ;-)