Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

ISO Top Liner

Hearny

Hearny

Vehicle
T5 SE 140
The van I have not long bought has the insulated liner fitted. It is hung by clips at the front but is coming away at the sides (see photos).

How are meant to be fixed at the sides, at present it has a two inch piece of Velcro holding up the full width.

Thanks Ian
8c72a8e378e52fb38b98a98dd01ba270.jpg
705c8a43ee3ae44c723b31449592ce96.jpg
7ff5cf36936a56dbcd393a0e21d3315f.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Unfortunately that’s normal on that particular iso top the later ones have a flexible plastic tab that’s stitched to the iso top and fits down into where you have the Velcro. I got sick of replacing the Velcro on mine, tried every type of flexible double sided tape to fix the Velcro but it would always come off.
Anyways the fix I done was to purchase a couple of those plastic tabs that are fitted to the roof at the front, got a couple of small stainless steel S hook’s stiched a loop of elastic to the iso top, attached the S hook with one bend closed tight to stop the elastic pulling through and hung it to the new plastic eye that I just glued in position. I did buy the rivnuts to fit the hanging loop but even with a rivnut gun I couldn’t get them to hold, eventually just used a small blob of expanding glue. This was two year ago and everything is still attached and working fine.

Unfortunately that’s normal on that particular iso top the later ones have a flexible plastic tab that’s stitched to the iso top and fits down into where you have the Velcro. I got sick of replacing the Velcro on mine, tried every type of flexible double sided tape to fix the Velcro but it would always come off.
Anyways the fix I done was to purchase a couple of those plastic tabs that are fitted to the roof at the front, got a couple of small stainless steel S hook’s stiched a loop of elastic to the iso top, attached the S hook with one bend closed tight to stop the elastic pulling through and hung it to the new plastic eye that I just glued in position. I did buy the rivnuts to fit the hanging loop but even with a rivnut gun I couldn’t get them to hold, eventually just used a small blob of expanding glue. This was two year ago and everything is still attached and working fine.

Could you post a photo of yours next time you get a chance. Thanks for the reply

Yeah no problem, I’ll take a couple for you over the weekend.

The van I have not long bought has the insulated liner fitted. It is hung by clips at the front but is coming away at the sides (see photos).

How are meant to be fixed at the sides, at present it has a two inch piece of Velcro holding up the full width.

Thanks Ian
8c72a8e378e52fb38b98a98dd01ba270.jpg
705c8a43ee3ae44c723b31449592ce96.jpg
7ff5cf36936a56dbcd393a0e21d3315f.jpg

Hello Ian,
I have fitted two newer versions, to a 2015 SE and a 2016 Beach. I don't imagine that there's much difference. On both of these liners there are three fixing points down each side. It appears from your photo that the rear fixings might have failed. Are these the 2" velcro strips that you mention? If they are then I would suggest replacing both parts of this velcro. It loses it's effectiveness after a while.

The newer versions don't have velcro in but have a long semi rigid plastic blade about 2" wide attached to this position at the top edge of the liner. When fitting you feed the bottom end of this blade into the vertical sleeve formed in the roof canvas and slide it down inside. It works very well.

Here are photos of the other two fixing points:

Forward fixing
image.jpeg
Middle fixing
image.jpeg
These two fixing points employ strips of material, incorporating both velcro components sewn to the top of the liner. The forward fixing has one strip per side whilst the middle has two. To hold up the lining the strips are passed through the adjacent black plastic rings attached to the roof and fixed back on themselves. You may have a slightly different system on yours but it shouldn't be that difficult to replace or improve the fixings.

Last edited:
Hi Boris

I have replaced the 2 inch strip of Velcro half way up but within two weeks it’s come down. Your right the rear corners and the back are Velcro as well. They have started to come away because the middle isn’t fixed securely.

I ve seen those plastic inserts on the later models and wondered if you can buy them separately.

My van is a 2013 SE and I think the owner fitted this from new.

Hi Boris

I have replaced the 2 inch strip of Velcro half way up but within two weeks it’s come down. Your right the rear corners and the back are Velcro as well. They have started to come away because the middle isn’t fixed securely.

I ve seen those plastic inserts on the later models and wondered if you can buy them separately.

My van is a 2013 SE and I think the owner fitted this from new.

If you can't, couldn't you make a couple?

If it were me, I think I'd look for material that's tough and reasonable flexible but not brittle. Maybe something like an old Tupperwear box or large ice cream tub. Cut your two strips to the right width and length to fit snugly inside the roof canvas sleeves. Then drill or burn with a hot pin, two parallel lines of very fine stitching holes across one end (optional). Four or five holes in each line should do the trick. Then stick a flap of strong material to one end over the holes, using contact adhesive. Again if it were me, I'd fold the material over and stick it to both sides thereby making a double thicknes flap. When stuck, stitch through the holes for belt and braces security.

When these two plastic inserts with fabric end flaps are finished, stitch them to the outer side of the top of the liner making sure that both plastic strips are pointiing upwards whilst you stitch. Also make sure that the whole of the plastic section is above the top of the liner but with the hinge end of the plastic strip level with it. Before stitching, make sure they are in the correct position to locate in the roof canvas sleeves. Once stitched and secure, feed the exposed plastic end of the plastic strip into the sleeve in the roof canvas. Before you do this it would be a good idea to round off the corners to make this process easier. Once in place, the liner should stay put and you shouldn't have any more problems!

Remember though, the roof canvas and internal liner have to fold inwards when the roof comes down so the two strips don't need to be too long. Just long enough to provide a secure fixing point. Best give it a slow closing test when complete to ensure all is well.

If I remember, I'll measure the length of the plastic securing strips on our Brandrup liner tomorrow and let you know.

Good luck.

Last edited:
I watched a video on YouTube and seen the plastic inserts. Your right about making them so dimensions would be a help if you could Boris.

Thanks for all your help

Hello Ian,
Here are some photos of the plastic strips on the Brandrup Isotop which I fitted to my 2016 Beach:

The material Brandrup have used seems to be very similar in thickness, flexibility and appearance to either of these commonly sourced supermarket icecream tubs.

image.jpeg

The plastic strip measures 48mm wide including the leatherette edging. You could easily replicate this too without much effort. It's probably included to prevent chafing damage to the canvas roof sleeves. Note that where the strip is stitched to the lining they have included a double sided fold over leatherette reinforcing patch to strengthen the joint.
image.jpeg

The total length of the plastic strip is 98mm including the edge binding. Note the rounded end to aid easy fitment and prevent chafing.
image.jpeg

Here's how it looks from the inside before fitting. Note how the reinforcing leatherette patch is doubled over and sewn through this side as well.
image.jpeg

Comme ça
image.jpeg

Looking at these photos the way they have done this may be different from my previous instructions so ignore them and carry out as per these snaps. They show very clearly how they've manufactured this feature.

I don't think that there's anything here that could prove tricky. Let me know how you get on.

Best wishes
Paul.

Hi Paul

Thanks for the photos and info. I made a couple of inserts from a plastic takeaway type container. I guessed the sizes and rounded the corners and created a slight curve on the bottom. I managed to slide them in the roof gap but would benefit from being slightly more rigid (your container suggestions).

My liner does not have inserts in and I had to use a 50mm length of Velcro on the inside lip of the liner. I then stuck the other side of the Velcro on the bit of the plastic insert still visible. It has worked but I ran out of Velcro (more in order). I will make two more out of a ice cream container when the Velcro arrives.

I will post some photos when I ve finished.

Thanks for all your help

Thanks for the photos they will be a big help

Paul
77448183302c6a7ca2ece250dcd844ad.jpg

Well templates made and inserts cut. I’m just waiting for the Velcro and we will give it a go.

Paul

Templates made and inserts cut, just waiting for the Velcro to arrive

c678e2cb2557449b0be6f003f6c46b89.jpg