Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

It’s gone !!

HowieDog

HowieDog

Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
Just browsing
It’s always quite a strange feeling seeing someone else driving off in ‘your’ van.

Still, we have had 4 different Calis over 15 years and strangely they’ve all been so similar but also so different.

Our first was a really cool black T4 Generation with the Red i - I think maybe it’s my favourite.

Still, time to move on and join @GrannyJen and others in the new world of Hymer!

60F75BE8-C435-4110-B8FE-7DA88831AB98.jpeg

I have not bought and sold many cars, but a few, you do get attached to ... and does leave a void for a short while.

Congratulations on the new hymer!

Which hymer are you going for? I have been looking, but guess still a few years away!

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

I have not bought and sold many cars, but a few, you do get attached to ... and does leave a void for a short while.

Congratulations on the new hymer!

Which hymer are you going for? I have been looking, but guess still a few years away!

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk
It’s a 5.4m Hymer Blue Evolution with a pop top.

DF61D0AF-125B-4AD8-981A-D5B54E741A6A.jpeg

It’s always quite a strange feeling seeing someone else driving off in ‘your’ van.

Still, we have had 4 different Calis over 15 years and strangely they’ve all been so similar but also so different.

Our first was a really cool black T4 Generation with the Red i - I think maybe it’s my favourite.

Still, time to move on and join @GrannyJen and others in the new world of Hymer!

View attachment 97156
Interesting a we too have been starting to think/ look at Hymer. Specifically the Blue Evolution 540, but only online as we are in Scotland and currently no ‘live viewing’ available. Could you maybe answer a question as pix are difficult to assess…. Does the table stay in the up position (all pix show it like this). We have a Labrador and he needs his space to lie out and that seems the only sizeable floor space. Also is the walkway between the kitchen and wash room as narrow as it appears ?

Congrats, I’m right behind you.
I’ve convinced myself on a Hymer and attracted to the 5,4m length van. Have you seen the Hymer back-rack. Looks a cool bit of kit

Please post more pics :thumb

Honestly it's not that bad transitioning to the world of Hymer!
Hymer car owners group on Facebook is excellent.
I keep a foot in boot camps after all both the Cali and Hymercar are camper vans, I find both tend to camp in a similar way and have similar requirements.

We saw a Hymer Blue 540 at a campsite in Scotland. Really nice size.

Too high for a day van for us in the South East though

Bus and Beyond have reviewed a Hymer just recently on their You Tube channel. It is a blue one too !

Sick van.
I bet he’s wondering why they’re bothering with all the hassle of the self build, when you could just go out and buy this…

Congrats, I’m right behind you.
I’ve convinced myself on a Hymer and attracted to the 5,4m length van. Have you seen the Hymer back-rack. Looks a cool bit of kit

Please post more pics :thumb

I do believe at 5.4m you can only have the Ducato.

Having said that I've just done 600 miles over 3 days in my Ducato and survived. Even on narrow twisty roads (trough of Bowland), small supermarket car park (Booths in Clitheroe) and a closed road (leading to Camping and caravanning site in Clitheroe) I've had a pleasant morning.

Excuse the italics. Not sure what happened there.

The LWB T6.1 is also 5.4m. Go conversion if you would like to stick with VW. I don't like Fiat engines.

The LWB T6.1 is also 5.4m. Go conversion if you would like to stick with VW. I don't like Fiat engines.

My 2008 T5 with 39k miles had cylinder head bore scoring and required a new engine at 4 years old. Now my 2017 T6 with 49k miles requires a new turbo.
After 20 years of Volkswagen vans, I’m ready for a change…

Sick van.
I bet he’s wondering why they’re bothering with all the hassle of the self build, when you could just go out and buy this…
Probably because that’s £80k and there crafter van and self build/shop around/free stuff from YouTube channel will be a guessing £50k massive saving and fun building your own van, built my first van for around £16k that’s including the vw LWB 4motion t5/ doubled up as work van.6F362965-984E-47BD-A90A-A4D5DF8B453B.jpeg54D49A06-38D9-4680-B1C5-3533DF5D974F.jpegB106B61D-8858-4901-9F95-C2E6CE1C275E.jpeg

True.
I did my T4 myself. Van and conversion £7k, before all this vanlife Instagram tosh. Followed by my T5, £13k all in.
You can’t even buy the vans for those prices anymore…

Probably because that’s £80k and there crafter van and self build/shop around/free stuff from YouTube channel will be a guessing £50k massive saving and fun building your own van,

The only van available in that model is up for £95k not £80k so an even bigger saving.

Advertising on their channel = £££ & a van conversion will get a lot of views.

The only van available in that model is up for £95k not £80k so an even bigger saving.

Advertising on their channel = £££ & a van conversion will get a lot of views.
World has gone mad!!!!
Think I saw one due in at campersales for £85k

Best of both worlds a cali beach and a homemade beast.

To stay popular they need to create content. Buying a van won't add many viewers, whereas building one will.

They have the very long van as well, I don't think there are many vans that long that aren't great white style

Interesting a we too have been starting to think/ look at Hymer. Specifically the Blue Evolution 540, but only online as we are in Scotland and currently no ‘live viewing’ available. Could you maybe answer a question as pix are difficult to assess…. Does the table stay in the up position (all pix show it like this). We have a Labrador and he needs his space to lie out and that seems the only sizeable floor space. Also is the walkway between the kitchen and wash room as narrow as it appears ?

If it's anything like my 5.4m Ayers Rock the table folds flat against the wall with a sturdy press stud fixing to keep it there.

View attachment 97156
Congrats on your Hymer! Just visited the dutch Hymer site and had a electronic look. What strikes me most, not only Hymer is the bench solutions camper van builders are using. It is so very much straight up that it feels I am sitting on a church bench . We had on various camper shows a look into various campervans and all (incl. VW GC!) but one brand (Westfalia Columbus, Sven Hedin and the ever so practical Joker) had those "church benches" . That's what is holding me/us back to trade in our Cali. In a Cali you have a comfortable seating and lot's of leg space . I don't really understand why the CV builders do not put more attention to that, I have asked various salesmen, but the either answer that every brand is having the same solution or they just shrug their shoulders...

Back