Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

JFDI

Aidy P

Aidy P

Don't play that 'What If?' game, you'll never win!
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204 4Motion
If you’re umming and aaahing about taking a trip in the van over to France?

We made the decision to travel.

loving it

feeling as safe as home

just bring your masks and hand gel

I feel human again

we all need to feel human again (safely)

long live VW campervan life

57E07BF6-7934-4F8E-9B00-07820FD698BC.jpeg

Tomorrow evening we will be joining you. Enjoy

Tomorrow evening we will be joining you. Enjoy
Have a great trip. I feel as safe in France as I did on the Yorkshire coast camping recently.

Off to France at the beginning of September by Eurotunnel so staying in van and avoiding others during the crossing, and then on down to Spain. We need a holiday. Just going to be sensible, wear our masks, and keep our distance as we do here in England

Travelling through Franc
If you’re umming and aaahing about taking a trip in the van over to France?

We made the decision to travel.

loving it

feeling as safe as home

just bring your masks and hand gel

I feel human again

we all need to feel human again (safely)

long live VW campervan life

View attachment 63633
Travelling through France now. Very enjoyable, campsites working hard to maintain Covid19 safety measurements. Had a coffees, followed by a beer and vino. First time since mid-March. Safety is an individual responsibility for the good of the majority. Insert heavy sigh; if only the youngsters could figure that one out.

Been out since 24th. Cant decide when to come back. I'll take France and the Cali over a staycation any day. So long as you have your face nappy for shops you'll be fine. Most places pretty relaxed

We’ve had four night now. On our third site. Agree that the site owners are trying hard. Some restaurants in busy areas are a bit too busy for me with people not distancing but you can choose others.

Went to see the Bayeux tapestry today (after visiting Arromanches / Port Winston). Social distancing, but very ‘dead air’ ie no windows open In the museum. Glad everyone was wearing face masks. Probably overthinking things. So much hand gel and sanitizer I’m glad no one smokes anymore. It would be an inferno!!

Just had a delicious meal in Barfleur. If only the U.K. was warm enough / set up for al fresco dining. But it isn’t and that’s why we choose to just get in the van and drive.

As with the U.K. the beaches are pretty rammed. So avoid the busy areas if you’re worried. We are and so far haven’t had a problem just turning up at campsites without a booking. It already feels like we’ve been away for weeks.

Happy travels and long live VW Campers !!!

Happy to hear this as we planned on a trip to vannes sometime soon then on to ranville to visit a family war grave.

Aromaches is a great place so much history we did all the d day beaches year’s ago,,really interesting and the mules were good some nice little bars there

@Jay20cali it's certainly a good time to visit the area now. Enough people to feel like a holiday but without it being packed. Our youngest daughter will be studying the D Day landings at school next year so we thought we take in a few beaches. ‘Port Winston’ and what was achieved to create it has got me interested too. I suspect a some model making is in order. I hope you get to visit the war grave soon.

Just had a wonderful 10 days in France with a week spent down on Lake Annecy. Stayed away from any big crowds and unfortunately didn't visit Annecy itself but we all had a fantastic time, glad we went.8EC8E252-5454-4A94-8D49-DDD9F686F252.jpeg

09A27900-6450-4E24-8AFC-D29E417BFAC4.jpeg

74699BAA-A439-4D5E-8006-77CD43967659.jpeg

80BB4391-B2DB-4D5D-9A63-3DACF5E8E374.jpeg

C967CC1C-A4E3-4594-8F6E-BDAD715B936F.jpeg

E0B40470-1797-48B7-8484-CCBA712E48FB.jpeg

178045BD-35FC-4E98-98F0-4733A786D65B.jpeg

4B06CE4E-82A9-49A4-97C3-58DE4F3531E6.jpeg

21E2C65A-DD8E-4DAD-9B1A-99C1DE50DF96.jpeg

E6498CCB-8E9F-4E69-9F3D-2349A072A7BA.jpeg

Just had a wonderful 10 days in France with a week spent down on Lake Annecy. Stayed away from any big crowds and unfortunately didn't visit Annecy itself but we all had a fantastic time, glad we went.View attachment 63795

View attachment 63786

View attachment 63787

View attachment 63788

View attachment 63789

View attachment 63790

View attachment 63791

View attachment 63792

View attachment 63793

View attachment 63794
I’ve just made my morning coffee in my Annecy cup that I bought from there last year. Lovely place.

FCE4A8D4-9E36-4AB2-95E2-1BCB83963F53.jpeg

@Jay20cali it's certainly a good time to visit the area now. Enough people to feel like a holiday but without it being packed. Our youngest daughter will be studying the D Day landings at school next year so we thought we take in a few beaches. ‘Port Winston’ and what was achieved to create it has got me interested too. I suspect a some model making is in order. I hope you get to visit the war grave soon.
If your doing the D day Beaches, this place is where the D day operations started with the paratroopers landing
There’s a museum, the village is a nice spot.

Update: Just booked an earlier crossing on Eurotunnel.

It looks like France may be placed on the quarantine list and I can’t afford not to be be back at work. After my earlier experiences in this trip I can see why. The sun is out and so are the crowds.

The last two sites we stayed in had no Covid restrictions in place (despite high recent Google reviews) No hand soap or sanitizer. It seems like I really is hit and miss where you stay. I’m glad we have enough of our own masks, hand gel and soap.

Again 10/10 for my California!! Everything we need is carried onboard and we have the flexibility to say ... ‘Do you know what, we’ve had a good time, but it feels the right time to turn around and go home’.

Update: Just booked an earlier crossing on Eurotunnel.

It looks like France may be placed on the quarantine list and I can’t afford not to be be back at work. After my earlier experiences in this trip I can see why. The sun is out and so are the crowds.

The last two sites we stayed in had no Covid restrictions in place (despite high recent Google reviews) No hand soap or sanitizer. It seems like I really is hit and miss where you stay. I’m glad we have enough of our own masks, hand gel and soap.

Again 10/10 for my California!! Everything we need is carried onboard and we have the flexibility to say ... ‘Do you know what, we’ve had a good time, but it feels the right time to turn around and go home’.
This is exactly how I felt last week. Had an amazing week around Lake Annecy and just felt it was wise to get back sooner rather than later!

It looks like The Times has been informally told Brits in France have 5 days to get back

We are going whatever, being retired and social distancing for the last 5 months, staying at home and not venturing further than the front gate, another 2 weeks isolating when we return will be worth it. But we are lucky we don’t have to return to work, that could make a big difference

Thinking of France in September. The quarantine isn’t a problem but possible further restrictions / lockdowns and insurance issues are my concerns.

We're due to start a 3 week, 7 country trip 24/8... so far 2 of the countries (Luxembourg and Belgium) now require 14 days isolation so we may have/decide to tweak our plan.

Although with 2 weeks to departure and 5 weeks to our return, anything could happen.

It looks like The Times has been informally told Brits in France have 5 days to get back

Plenty of time for a quick hop over and back meanwhile then. :)

We just got back yesterday from a couple of weeks, mainly in Italian Alps. Fab.

Incidentally: stayed at Eperlecques as usual last night before Eurotunnel back. But for first time we visited the "Blockhaus" (actually a V2 rocket final assembly and launch building) just a half a mile or so from the campsite. I know lots of forumistas have been there but just wanted to add that it's indeed well worth a visit, if only to take in the sheer scale. The concrete slab roof is more than 5 metres thick, but still didn't stop the whole site having to be abandoned after the RAF bombed it with Barnes Wallis's 12,000lb "Tallboy" bunker-buster bombs. It's both impressive and poignant: thousands of slave labourers were used in its construction, and many died there.

Sorry for slight off-topic.

Anyone know if any campsites in the U.K. with any spaces left for August bank holiday weekend

Pegasus Bridge (bear Caen) is well worth a visit. Scene of the first action on D-Day when our gliders landed nearby (really nearby) and the bridge was taken in a matter of minutes. Great museum there and you just have to have a drink at the Cafe Gondree, the first building to be liberated. Madame Gondree who was a child on D-Day is still there.