Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Jobsworth

briwy

briwy

Super Poster
VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180 4Motion
I just had the Cali to the dealers for a bit of warranty work and while there asked if they would print out a fuse layout.
Told that, yes it's possible but we aren't going to do it. Reason, because if I change a fuse and it's the wrong one they could be liable. Asked what I'm supposed to do in the middle of the night miles away from anywhere it seems I'm supposed to make my way to the nearest dealer and get them to change it. While it's under warranty I suppose I could call VW Assist who could well be needed elswhere for something serious. What a load of ****.
Also asked if they could disable the auto rain sensing wipers as I hate the things. Again, it seems it's possible to do it but it flags up a warning saying it should not be done as it a safety issue. o_O
So all you people who have manually operated wipers I hope you are capable of using them safely.
I'm beginning to wonder who owns this van, us or VW. :headbang

I had fun when trying to upgrade to 18" Sportline alloys. I was told I could have the silver ones but not the black as they are not listed for my van. I guess the silver paint increases the load rating of the wheels.

My local dealer is totally refusing to fit chrome side bars as they are not listed for use with the California due to them interfering with aux heating exhaust.

Well my Dealership had no problems fitting them as the VW ones are in their T5/Caravelle Brochure. The Caravelle can also be specced with the Diesel Parking Heater.
Screen Shot 2015-03-23 at 19.56.46.jpg

I think the side chrome bars are a standard option, we had no problem getting them fitted....

My local dealer is totally refusing to fit chrome side bars as they are not listed for use with the California due to them interfering with aux heating exhaust.

I've just fitted my own sidebars with VW lookalikes, very reasonable off fleebay and quite easy to fit if you have a socket set etc. A LOT cheaper than Vw dealer fit ones, message me if you want the details.

sidebars.jpg

I just had the Cali to the dealers for a bit of warranty work and while there asked if they would print out a fuse layout.
Told that, yes it's possible but we aren't going to do it. Reason, because if I change a fuse and it's the wrong one they could be liable. Asked what I'm supposed to do in the middle of the night miles away from anywhere it seems I'm supposed to make my way to the nearest dealer and get them to change it. While it's under warranty I suppose I could call VW Assist who could well be needed elswhere for something serious. What a load of ****.
Also asked if they could disable the auto rain sensing wipers as I hate the things. Again, it seems it's possible to do it but it flags up a warning saying it should not be done as it a safety issue. o_O
So all you people who have manually operated wipers I hope you are capable of using them safely.

But they will quite happily sell you a fuse kit. :confused:

My Mk7 VW Golf has the facility to personally disable the auto-sensing wipers, so can't understand why it's a safety issue for the Transporter/California and not the Golf.
I also hate them, the first thing I did when getting the Golf was to disable. VW windscreen glass is so easily scratched. I never use the wipers in light rain without first using the windscreen wash.

There have been a few posts on this briwy.

I had to insist that they gave me the fuse map (Leicester van centre). Took a while but when I went in for something else after a couple of months of email exchanges, lo and behold there was the print out.

I scanned it and it is now in the downloads section as a PDF. This is for the Beach, the SE is different of course. Anyone needing the Beach map could download the PDF to their phone and then you have a copy with you.

I've just fitted my own sidebars with VW lookalikes, very reasonable off fleebay and quite easy to fit if you have a socket set etc. A LOT cheaper than Vw dealer fit ones, message me if you want the details.

View attachment 7515

Do these side bars allow the use of the standard jacking points? Some of the cheaper non Vw bars are longer and cover the jacking points on the sill.

Do these side bars allow the use of the standard jacking points? Some of the cheaper non Vw bars are longer and cover the jacking points on the sill.
Also, I was wondering if they reduce ground clearance to any noticeable extent e.g. speed humps etc?

I thought you could turn them off, bottom position off next up in rain sensors ?

Yes can still use jacking points.

Also, I was wondering if they reduce ground clearance to any noticeable extent e.g. speed humps etc?
Not that much really, had a look under the van and various bits of suspension arms etc have a similar ground clearance as the bars.

No problems with jacking points with Genuine VW or similar bars. Full length aftermarket are problematic.
No problems with ground clearance/speed bumps. Knackered suspension before knackered sidebars.:thumb

Back