Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Removing tray underneath wipers to access grommet in engine bay

MrNick

MrNick

Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
I'm trying to run a cable from inside the cabin to the engine bay. I've read there's a grommet on the passenger side of the engine bay that you can push wires through from underneath the glovebox.

Thing is, the tray underneath the wipers is in the way of accessing this grommet (which is behind he battery). I can see only one accessible screw on the passenger side, but I'm guessing it's not just held in place by that. How do I remove this tray? Do I have to remove the wipers?!

Attaching a photo - thanks in advance to anybody who can help!

IMG_1592.JPG

I'm trying to run a cable from inside the cabin to the engine bay. I've read there's a grommet on the passenger side of the engine bay that you can push wires through from underneath the glovebox.

Thing is, the tray underneath the wipers is in the way of accessing this grommet (which is behind he battery). I can see only one accessible screw on the passenger side, but I'm guessing it's not just held in place by that. How do I remove this tray? Do I have to remove the wipers?!

Attaching a photo - thanks in advance to anybody who can help!

View attachment 23503
Remove Rubber Seal. The plastic Tray Grill is held firm by a number of plastic push-in plugs on the underside, so pulling it forward will release it, but to remove it fully the Wiper arms need to be removed.

If i remember correctly then there is just the one screw and the rubber trim at the top. Some did have a rubber grommet in the metal plate so i'd take of the battery cover first and have a quick look

If it's the same as the T5, there's a metal plate behind the battery - remove the battery, a screw or two for the plate and you have full access to the space and to the grommet through the bulkhead.

Thanks for the replies, I'll poke around over the weekend and see if I can get it sorted.

I looked for a grommet some time ago & could not find one. The roof drain hose comes out through the bulkhead behind the battery. Don't disturb this or you risk water going in to cab & soaking the carpets. I have been there !!

T5 (2005) Caravelle - photo of bulkhead grommet being battery, after removal of metal plate - the one with the red & yellow wires through. It was blank, but poked a hole through for the spilt charger and solar free I had on the old Caravelle.

Back