Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Just buying our first Cali, maybe..

Paul_W

Paul_W

Vehicle
Cali now sold
Joined the club today, we've been looking to buy for several months now and swung between a newish T6 conversion and a Cali. Having decided we were definitely going for a Cali and seriously looking for the past few weeks I've just spent the entire morning reading about the roof corrosion issues that seem widespread and now I'm wondering if the Cali is the way to go or whether we should turn back to the conversion instead:( We thought buying a Cali was going to make for an easier life with VW design and reliability but maybe that's not the case, maybe a T6 with a brand new factory conversion and full 12 month warranty is the safer bet.

What's everyone's thoughts about this, just how widespread is the Cali roof issue?

Any advice much appreciated, with such a major purchase it's all a bit daunting.

(Our budget if that's of ant relevance is £35 - £39K).

Paul.....

Conversions have different issues, I'm sure someone who is more eloquent with words will be along soon and reply.

I'm bias, having had two now a 5 and now a 6 both not suffering the roof issue so far that is. If you do get it then a curtesy van is yours while its fixed, what do conversation companies give you. Plus any issues are dealt with in one place whereas a conversation has so many parts from different suppliers. Don't get me wrong there are some good ones but do they hold their value as well as a Cali even with the dreaded roof problem?

Joined the club today, we've been looking to buy for several months now and swung between a newish T6 conversion and a Cali. Having decided we were definitely going for a Cali and seriously looking for the past few weeks I've just spent the entire morning reading about the roof corrosion issues that seem widespread and now I'm wondering if the Cali is the way to go or whether we should turn back to the conversion instead:( We thought buying a Cali was going to make for an easier life with VW design and reliability but maybe that's not the case, maybe a T6 with a brand new factory conversion and full 12 month warranty is the safer bet.

What's everyone's thoughts about this, just how widespread is the Cali roof issue?

Any advice much appreciated, with such a major purchase it's all a bit daunting.

(Our budget if that's of ant relevance is £35 - £39K).

Paul.....
Hi Paul
As far as I'm aware the roof corrosion issue was not an issue since the introduction of the T6, different material roof etc
Others need to confirm but I'm sure there is no known issue on the T6
Bill

....you say it yourself....
A conversion with a full 12 month warrenty ....

Get a Cali .

Welcome anyway .

2nd Cali, no roof corrosion or if there is I'm not looking for it and neither do I care if I've got it.

With a cali it's one stop shopping, both habitation and base vehicle guaranteed by the manufacturer and looked after in one van centre. No hassle with "that's a conversion part, nothing to do with us".

Access to thousands of dealers world wide. What do you do if something drastic goes wrong with the conversion parts when you are a couple of thousand miles away from the convertor?

A Cali has been built from the wheels up as a camper, in a dedicated factory. Everything fits, doesn't rattle, doesn't come loose, works in integrated fashion with the base vehicle.

A Cali has much higher residuals when it comes to sell.

A cali is simply magic. It works. It does everything perfectly in an integrated fashion. Having had one when it came to change I had no hesitation buying another.

Unless you REALLY know what you'd want in a conversion (I'm not suggesting you don't), there is a lot of logic to buying a Cali, the design of which has evolved over many many years and thousands of owners. If I hadn't been a VW camper user for many years, I wouldn't trust myself to spec and design a conversion.

I fought against getting a Cali, understood all the downsides (there are many), but in the end bought a Cali.....in fact I've bought several.

Buy a used Cali well and you'll suffer glacial depreciation, which makes any repair costs more tolerable.

I had a brand new Timberland conversion based on a Renault Master LWB. It was built to our spec and had all the bells and whistles. Cost us a flipping fortune. The first one went back - we had no end of issues with it which meant we had to go to Hull (from Hampshire) to get them resolved. My patience ran out when it cut out in the fast lane of the M4 at 6.30am one wet and dark Sunday when I was taking my young son and three dogs to a show. We had to be towed back to the garage and had the delight of waiting by the van until they came for us. Then followed a wait for the second one which was better but by no means perfect. The convertor was very dismissive, preferring to concentrate on new customers rather than existing ones with problems. We lost a lot of money when we sold it.

This experience put me off conversions.

Everything about the Cali works. I can do everything on my own. The only thing I wish it had is an electric awning which the Timberland had. Soooo easy. Three years warranty (five if extended from new) and a wide dealer network gives peace of mind. On my second one now and wouldn't get anything else.

Many thanks everyone for the updates....

I know in my heart that a Cali is the way to go, we'd already come to that conclusion, it was just looking at the 180 odd page thread about roof problems that caused the wobble:)

At least I know to be pulling those rubber seals back at the next viewing and checking for corrosion:Nailbiting

When I was selling my Cali if someone had asked to pull back the seals then the answer would have been "go and find another Cali".

I never disturbed them in all my years of ownership. There were no signs of corrosion.. They are there for a purpose. I would not have anyone else interfere with them except perhaps an authorised technician.

Welcome Paul_W

I got a Cali and I am sure I got some roof bubbles. Out of warrenty, repainting costs about CHF 2k - 3k: I saved 2k and invested in some nice holidays.
I guess best thing is get one with warrenty or a new T6 one. I hope you find what you‘re looking for!

Back