Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Just gone and bought another camper.

Nope. I’d have 3 on the drive if I could afford it !

Not at all... Horses for courses... Cali's great, but not always best suited for the situation.
Been thinking about alternatives too :cool:

As well as or instead of?

We’re starting to think about “that” phase :Nailbiting

...As much as we love our van, its about practicalities at the end of the day - just a space issue :confused:
But won't be for next year, so there's still time to change our minds ;)

Cali for summer, big van (the manufacturers are now calling this type of van “campers”) for the rest of the year.

As much as I’d love to keep both, I really won’t have the space and a shame to keep it outside.
Would be our problem too... barely enough space for the Cali, so it would have to be one or the other... :confused:

Cali for summer, big van (the manufacturers are now calling this type of van “campers”) for the rest of the year.
I'm thinking of doing that.

It was a big decision to make to buy a bigger one.
The Cali was brilliant for us for almost 5 years, I used it as a daily driver instead of a car and it was brilliant.
We used it for going to concerts and was able to park in multi-storey car parks and then drive to a suitable urban wild camping spot.
I used it to travel to a historic rally in Italy a few years ago, it was a fantastic vehicle for solo traveling.
Overall it’s been fantastic.
However when my wife and myself travel together in it we find that we have to rearrange our stuff morning and evening and a lot of work to setup and pack up especially if we are just staying in an aire for one night.
So while traveling or any other opportunity I was always looking and researching other campers, and I always liked the Possl brand. The fixed bed fixed roof was the big appeal, just park up and close the blinds and your setup!!! We also do a lot of wild camping here in Ireland, so I like the idea of being fully self sufficient, so the large water tank, hot water boiler, and shower are a great addition. I plans to fit a solar system and refillable gas bottles.
Anyway, I had planned to go to Germany to buy one, but covid didn’t help that. So found one for sale here in Ireland, one compromise is that it’s 6.4m in length, so a bit longer than we needed, but not the worst compromise!!
But it’s going to be a big change for us.

It was a big decision to make to buy a bigger one.
The Cali was brilliant for us for almost 5 years, I used it as a daily driver instead of a car and it was brilliant.
We used it for going to concerts and was able to park in multi-storey car parks and then drive to a suitable urban wild camping spot.
I used it to travel to a historic rally in Italy a few years ago, it was a fantastic vehicle for solo traveling.
Overall it’s been fantastic.
However when my wife and myself travel together in it we find that we have to rearrange our stuff morning and evening and a lot of work to setup and pack up especially if we are just staying in an aire for one night.
So while traveling or any other opportunity I was always looking and researching other campers, and I always liked the Possl brand. The fixed bed fixed roof was the big appeal, just park up and close the blinds and your setup!!! We also do a lot of wild camping here in Ireland, so I like the idea of being fully self sufficient, so the large water tank, hot water boiler, and shower are a great addition. I plans to fit a solar system and refillable gas bottles.
Anyway, I had planned to go to Germany to buy one, but covid didn’t help that. So found one for sale here in Ireland, one compromise is that it’s 6.4m in length, so a bit longer than we needed, but not the worst compromise!!
But it’s going to be a big change for us.
Good that you did your thing.
What seems so strange for us: traveling together in a westfalia california was almost impossible for you? Everyone has their own idea about this of course. We think what you describe is just part of the experience of traveling with such a handy small camper. That and much more. After 8 years of traveling with our T4 westfalia, with 2 children in the meantime and usually stay overnights at airs, we certainly don't want any bigger. We ordered a T6.1 coast and are patiently waiting for it to be delivered :Grin Larger? And losing all the advantages of the small campervan? No, certainly not for us.
But like I said, to each his own. Enjoy your big camper van.
Greetings
Calibusje

Nice van, sometimes we talk of getting a bigger one, that looks a nice size.

Good that you did your thing.
What seems so strange for us: traveling together in a westfalia california was almost impossible for you? Everyone has their own idea about this of course. We think what you describe is just part of the experience of traveling with such a handy small camper. That and much more. After 8 years of traveling with our T4 westfalia, with 2 children in the meantime and usually stay overnights at airs, we certainly don't want any bigger. We ordered a T6.1 coast and are patiently waiting for it to be delivered :Grin Larger? And losing all the advantages of the small campervan? No, certainly not for us.
But like I said, to each his own. Enjoy your big camper van.
Greetings
Calibusje
Don’t get me wrong the T4 is fantastic, and we certainly did find it great for traveling together, just wanted more space and faster setup pack up. On a personal level, having the separate toilet and shower will suit us as we do a lot of wild camping.
I suppose it’s just the next evolution of us camping.

Got a price in mind for the Red i?

I certainly get it as yesterday I did exact same thing although the cali had already gone. I went for a Dreamer D51 but it doesnt arrive until early 2022 being a new model just released. Last cake in the shop but other than I wanted a 5.4m really the compromised layout meant I couldnt decide, in the end availability dictated 6m.
Reasons are similar to you although I never used the Cali as a daily so the move was more logical to me. I still have concerns about going 6m but the Cali internal faffing and cold pop top wont be missed , the size and drive will no doubt.

Don’t get me wrong the T4 is fantastic, and we certainly did find it great for traveling together, just wanted more space and faster setup pack up. On a personal level, having the separate toilet and shower will suit us as we do a lot of wild camping.
I suppose it’s just the next evolution of us camping.
I understand you. For us there are also solutions for everything: Porta potti (We also do wild camping and are rarely on a campsite) insulating inner lining for the poptop and there is also a powerful heating. The set up for sleeping and the one in the morning is a matter of agreements: each has its few tasks and if you are attuned to each other, this runs very smoothly and quickly. A larger campervan would add nothing for us but each his idea about this and especially his experience.
We too will evolve, but to not higher, wider and longer; rather to more horsepower, air conditioning while driving and the inside table at the kitchen unit, the 2 chairs in the tailgate and the outside table in the sliding door.
Your solution is a bigger campervan and that is fine. Have fun with yours!
EDIT: I'm even going to miss you here.

Last edited:
Finally I have it advertised for sale. I've sold cars in the past and many years later regretted it, I think selling the T4 will be the same. But living in a semi detached house with just room for two cars and having two campers and two cars is not going to work. If I was to keep it I would need to have it stored inside, so it has to go.

Finally I have it advertised for sale. I've sold cars in the past and many years later regretted it, I think selling the T4 will be the same. But living in a semi detached house with just room for two cars and having two campers and two cars is not going to work. If I was to keep it I would need to have it stored inside, so it has to go.
Lovely van, beautiful condition.

And only a Quarter of a million klms
Hardly run in.........

Back