Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Small to big and back to small again

Anthony1

Anthony1

Too young to be old
VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180 4Motion
Has anyone here, gone from a California to a 6m motorhome/camper/conversion, with fixed bed, toilet etc and then gone back to a California?

If so why?

We swapped to Autosleeper Stanton for space and comfort then back to California for the versatility.New California was stolen after 6 weeks!
We tried a Marco Polo but it was no match for a California ☹️
Currently have Autosleeper Symbol and it seems a good compromise.
Fingers crossed
Pity the Grand is so disappointing!

We swapped to Autosleeper Stanton for space and comfort then back to California for the versatility.New California was stolen after 6 weeks!
We tried a Marco Polo but it was no match for a California ☹️
Currently have Autosleeper Symbol and it seems a good compromise.
Fingers crossed
Pity the Grand is so disappointing!
Thanks for that.

I am looking at the Hymer Evolution, Ayres Roack and Free 540.

Just had a look at a Symbol - nice. I like the style. I just sold a self-build LWB Citroen Relay.

What I would really like is a Joker.

The choice is bewildering! Nothing comes close to Cali for overall quality.
Auto s

iPad malfunction!
Autosleeper is not fashionable but well equipped,comfortable and well priced.
Good luck with your search

Joker looks great, we need a bit more living space and the Symbol at only 5.4 m length takes some beating.
After sales backup is pretty good also.

Thanks for that.

Just had a look at a Symbol - nice. I like the style. I just sold a self-build LWB Citroen Relay.

Campersales has a new joker for sale, plus I know a couple of 2nd hand ones possibly for sale soon.

Joker looks great, we need a bit more living space and the Symbol at only 5.4 m length takes some beating.
After sales backup is pretty good also.
Thanks for the replies.

I would find it very difficuly, nigh on impossible to sell the California. Not just for camping, but it is the perfect day out vehicle.

If our T 6 hadn't been stolen I'm sure we would have kept it for years.
Unfortunately the theft involved a house break in and definitely affected our decision on what to buy next.☹️

We went from T5 to a 7.5m Motorhome and back to a T6 Cali. No doubt the comfort and facilities in the big van was very nice. The flexibility of the Cali works best for us now. It’s a very personal thing!

We went from 8m motor home to a Cali. There’s no going back to that size, maybe a 6m Cali GC600 as well as the ocean.
Parking in Cornwall in August was a nightmare. Took up four bays in a supermarket, love the Cali as we can get in just about anywhere a car could.

Sold my 2008 Cali late last year, to realise the strong resale value (especially due to supply/demand.) A few other factors influenced my thinking: 1. Most campsites were only allowing self-contained units. 2. The Cali had ceased to be my daily driver for just over 12 months. 3. It had reached an age (and mileage) where potentially it was about to become a money-pit.
I'm about to take delivery of a 5.4m Ducato based van conversion, which to me seems the next logical step. I don't envisage returning to VW anytime soon - it was fun, and fitted the bill for 12 yrs/120k miles, but I won't miss hideous pricing for Control Units (3 in 12 years,) or side door closing mechanism (>1k, when the part alone was less than £100!) Both the preceding items of course only available from VW. (Kerching!!)
I did briefly consider another Cali, but the facilities and finish of the new van are IMHO both superior, and - more importantly - I have what I consider to be better spec, better suited to my needs now, and at a vastly cheaper price than a Cali.

Sold my 2008 Cali late last year, to realise the strong resale value (especially due to supply/demand.) A few other factors influenced my thinking: 1. Most campsites were only allowing self-contained units. 2. The Cali had ceased to be my daily driver for just over 12 months. 3. It had reached an age (and mileage) where potentially it was about to become a money-pit.
I'm about to take delivery of a 5.4m Ducato based van conversion, which to me seems the next logical step. I don't envisage returning to VW anytime soon - it was fun, and fitted the bill for 12 yrs/120k miles, but I won't miss hideous pricing for Control Units (3 in 12 years,) or side door closing mechanism (>1k, when the part alone was less than £100!) Both the preceding items of course only available from VW. (Kerching!!)
I did briefly consider another Cali, but the facilities and finish of the new van are IMHO both superior, and - more importantly - I have what I consider to be better spec, better suited to my needs now, and at a vastly cheaper price than a Cali.
Cheaper van conversion finish superior to a California? I’ve never seen one...

Thanks for that.

The fixed bed on the Ayers Rock is just so attractive as is the way it folds out of the way leaving enough room to carry a bicycle in.

Prior to the Cali I had a Pilote A class that simply was a nightmare to take anywhere busy or narrow. I will soon have an Ayers Rock in the family stable so will be able to make a comparison. One of my most treasured aspects of the Cali is being able to limbo under a 2m height barrier. If I felt I could do without that ability then something up to, but no longer Than, 6m in length would be attractive.

The fixed bed on the Ayers Rock is just so attractive as is the way it folds out of the way leaving enough room to carry a bicycle in.

Prior to the Cali I had a Pilote A class that simply was a nightmare to take anywhere busy or narrow. I will soon have an Ayers Rock in the family stable so will be able to make a comparison. One of my most treasured aspects of the Cali is being able to limbo under a 2m height barrier. If I felt I could do without that ability then something up to, but no longer Than, 6m in length would be attractive.
Hi Jen, are you keeping the Cali as well as the Ayers Rock or is the Hymer taking over full stop?

Hi Jen, are you keeping the Cali as well as the Ayers Rock or is the Hymer taking over full stop?

All up in the air at the moment Carl. The cali is my vehicle of choice for our 8 week "cycle across Britain", in fact all packed up and ready to go :)

The intention originally was that I would take the bigger van on that trip and my Son and Nephew would use the Cali whilst I was away. Post that trip the Cali would remain in the family as it would still be my second car. However I really do not want to be committing to 8 weeks of tugging caravans, lugging bicycles, disappearing down some of the narrowest roads in the country in an unknown quantity so changed my mind on vehicle of choice. I have to say in making my mind up I have been helped enormously by the post Brexit delays and also the time it is taking to get new vehicles registered.

Whether it stays on my drive subsequently would depend on how the other two parties in my "fleet ownership" get on with the Hymer.

Aaah, i see, good luck with everything. I'm looking forward to hearing how you get on with the new van.

Watching some 6m Great Whites trying to find a parking spot in the woods this weekend was hilarious.
It wasn’t that busy either.

Two arrived about the same time. One drove round the carpark 3 times before moving on. The other drove round for about 20 minutes then tried to park in a tight spot that a BMW 3 series left. Eventually got in minus some paintwork.

Tree 1 - GW 0

Aaah, i see, good luck with everything. I'm looking forward to hearing how you get on with the new van.

I must admit I have huge apprehension about the Ayers Rock, mostly for some possibly irrational fear of losing the 2m limbo facility. Otherwise the thought of not living in a tent, better heat and sound insulation, a fixed bed and somewhere to carry my bicycle is enormously attractive.

I can see a three-way fight coming on between myself, son and nephew.

I must admit I have huge apprehension about the Ayers Rock, mostly for some possibly irrational fear of losing the 2m limbo facility. Otherwise the thought of not living in a tent, better heat and sound insulation, a fixed bed and somewhere to carry my bicycle is enormously attractive.

I can see a three-way fight coming on between myself, son and nephew.
You won’t worry about that once you get use to the extra space and facilities.
I’ve always found theres somewhere close by without the height barrier. Think of the extra walking as a plus, and you’re less likely to get a scratch or a door prank not going into them carparks :thumb

Has anyone here, gone from a California to a 6m motorhome/camper/conversion, with fixed bed, toilet etc and then gone back to a California?

If so why?
I bought like im sure lots of people a large motor home which was i think an auto trail 7.4 metre and as much as we did love it we found we had it sat on our drive from 11.5 months a year as it was a miniature lorry to drive ! Then i bought a california t5 which we so love but had to let it go due to finances, then a few years later we went for the van conversion option with an auto sleeper BB Sussex which again we loved but sold a few weeks ago and after 4 YEARS of ownership we sold back to the dealer for the same amount we bought it for (that will never happen again lol) Why did we sell ? To order a new cali ocean which is due ........ well anytime this year lol but i cannot wait but am prepared to wait , ordered it january so if i get this year i will be ver happy indeed ! hope that helps anthony

Hi
would appreciate being kept in the loop on any club joker coming up for sale.

I currently have a California excĺusive which will need replacing at some point.
thanks
@smokie Hi, i have just listed my Club Joker in the forum ads. :thumb

Having owned several vans including a Hymer S555 would say on site unbeatable. As long as it is used only for extended breaks it is fine, otherwise a big outlay for something parked up most of the time. My first was a VW Devon Moonraker and have now owned numerous VW based vans. Did look at the Joker before choosing another California and in my humble opinion the Joker was trying too hard to be a jack of all and mastered none. The California fits the bill as both a camper and a vehicle which can be used every day.

Last edited:
Having owned several vans including a Hymer S555 would say on site unbeatable. As long as it is used only for extended breaks it is fine, otherwise a big outlay for something parked up most of the time. My first was a VW Devon Moonraker and have now owned numerous VW based vans. Did look at the Joker before choosing another California and in my humble opinion the Joker was trying too hard to be a jack of all and mastered none. The California fits the bill as both a camper and a vehicle which can be used every day.
Great review of the joker how long did you own one for?

2x Hymer B544,Hymer Exsis ( original one ) Murvi morello x 2 , Nissan Elgrand camper , Cali