Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Just put a deposit on my ideal used Cali (2011 T5.1 140 DSG) except it's....

Why not negotiate with seller about getting a compression test done for around £160 at local vw commercial dealer and if results ok agree a deal on replacing the egr which would be around £1200 at vw.

Why risk it...???
The sensible thing to do, is avoid that engine completely.
That's what I would do if it was my hard earned money.

Why risk it...???
The sensible thing to do, is avoid that engine completely.
That's what I would do if it was my hard earned money.
Why not? If there was a decent discount . That's what life is all about. Mitigating risk. Everytime you go to sleep you might not wake up. That's a chance we all take.
But if you base your decisions on Internet Chatter and not Evidence then thats your decision. The only sensible decision regarding purchasing a vehicle with the 180 engine is to do it with your eyes wide open and aware of potential risks and risk manage your decision.

I bought mine new late August 2015. I have put in around 1 litre of oil since December. Mine has done 22500 ish and is booked in for 1st service in 3 weeks time. Does that sound like high oil consumption?

I bought mine new late August 2015. I have put in around 1 litre of oil since December. Mine has done 22500 ish and is booked in for 1st service in 3 weeks time. Does that sound like high oil consumption?
You need to tell us the mileage you have covered while it has consumed the litre of oil...we can then advise.

You need to tell us the mileage you have covered while it has consumed the litre of oil...we can then advise.
To be honest, I never really checked the oil just relied on the oil light, and as its brand new wouldn't expect to be losing oil. I drove from southern Spain to northern France in December, checked levels and found i needed around 1 litre. Drove back to southern Spain, then just last week we returned to the uk for the "Summer". In Spain just before the long drive back checked oil again and found it needed to be topped up with another 0.5 litre of oil. So in answer to your question around 3500 miles.

To be honest, I never really checked the oil just relied on the oil light, and as its brand new wouldn't expect to be losing oil. I drove from southern Spain to northern France in December, checked levels and found i needed around 1 litre. Drove back to southern Spain, then just last week we returned to the uk for the "Summer". In Spain just before the long drive back checked oil again and found it needed to be topped up with another 0.5 litre of oil. So in answer to your question around 3500 miles.
Hmmm

Don't know really. My new engine covered about 8000 miles without needing a drop of extra oil, prior to its oil change last week.

You use less oil on shorter runs and more on long distance high speed runs and by that I mean 100-400 miles at motorway speeds. Oil gets thinner as it heats, and is designed to do so to cope with the thermal expansion of engine components and some will be used. New engines, in particular, frequently use some oil initially until parts get carbonised. I had the same in my 1st year covering 20,000 miles. 0.5l in the second year over another 20,000 miles. Now on 45,000 miles, 5000 miles since last Oil Change and hasn't moved on the dipstick as yet.
When someone says " I never use oil between services " then I would want to know what sort of journeys were undertaken.
Having owned a RX8 that was designed to use 1L /1000 miles and held 2.5L in the sump, of very expensive oil, anything less is OK by me.:thumb

Well, I'm going to disagree back to be fair. Even though we're going off topic a bit here.

The comparison to an RX8 is totally misleading, that uses a Wankel engine that is specifically designed to consume oil.

If the previous poster used 1 litre in 3500 miles then I'd not be happy with that. :(

Thats insane.
Ive done two continental trips of late, 1400 miles in 4 days on one and i don't think the van has used a drop of oil. I can't see any difference in the oil levels before to post trip...???
Adding that amount of oil on that mileage does not sound right to me:eek:

Well, I'm going to disagree back to be fair. Even though we're going off topic a bit here.

The comparison to an RX8 is totally misleading, that uses a Wankel engine that is specifically designed to consume oil.

If the previous poster used 1 litre in 3500 miles then I'd not be happy with that. :(
I suggest you re-read that post again. No where did @Jukebox70 state that he used 1L of oil in 3,500 miles.
Also my comments regarding Oil Consumption in new engines and Oil Consumption in long distance, high speed journeys can be supported by evidence . I suggest you go hunting for the evidence as I did.

Nor did I compare the RX8 to the 180 but used it as an example that the statement " New engines don't use oil " is untrue. Some do, some are designed to and others do initially.

Make of my comments as you wish.

I suggest you re-read that post again. No where did @Jukebox70 state that he used 1L of oil in 3,500 miles.

Yes he did. :)

And that is my final word on this as I really don't want to get into petty arguments about who said what to who about this or that etc. I have enough of that with my kids. :)

Yes he did. :)

And that is my final word on this as I really don't want to get into petty arguments about who said what to who about this or that etc. I have enough of that with my kids. :)

I topped up with 1.5 l of oil during driving 3500 miles. Most of that mileage would have been on motorways and at around 60 mph.

VWUK state that 1 litre of oil to 1000mls is to be expected and would not be considered excessive.

At its worst our 180 did 350mls to a litre.

BTW, a litre is top to bottom of the marked area on the dipstick. Off the bottom of the stick is around 1.5ltrs.

Alan

VWUK state that 1 litre of oil to 1000mls is to be expected and would not be considered excessive.

At its worst our 180 did 350mls to a litre.

BTW, a litre is top to bottom of the marked area on the dipstick. Off the bottom of the stick is around 1.5ltrs.

Alan
Well thats fine then. No need to worry.

I topped up with 1.5 l of oil during driving 3500 miles. Most of that mileage would have been on motorways and at around 60 mph.
I thought you stated in your original post that you have driven 22,500 miles and have put in 1.5L of oil.
I bet you covered about 15,000+ miles from new before you had to put in any oil i.e.: 1L/15,000 miles .

Or, as has been stated you used 1.5L of oil to cover 3,500 miles?

I thought you stated in your original post that you have driven 22,500 miles and have put in 1.5L of oil.
I bet you covered about 15,000+ miles from new before you had to put in any oil i.e.: 1L/15,000 miles .

Or, as has been stated you used 1.5L of oil to cover 3,500 miles?
Correct, I must of travelled at least 19000 miles before i checked the oil. Now that i have started checking the oil it seems to be using rather a lot.

Correct, I must of travelled at least 19000 miles before i checked the oil. Now that i have started checking the oil it seems to be using rather a lot.
So you did 19,000 miles before you had to put in 1L of oil.
Then another 500mls subsequently.

Firstly, I wonder if it was fully topped up. Was the engine started, stopped after a few minutes and then wait 5 mins before measuring?

If you didn't check the oil level until the light came on then that normally requires about 1.3 - 1.5 L to full, but you said you only put 1L in and a subsequent 500 MLS after another 3,500 miles.

You shouldn't depend on the Oil Level Warning light. They can fail and you should get into the habit of checking the Dip stick on a regular basis and especially before a long trip.

I very much doubt if you have a problem.

Not again. You are welcome to your own view and interpretation. 1 EGR valve , no others. 673 members and how many have a problem? Certainly not all by any means. How many 180's built and on the road with no problems? I happen to be a member also and am still waiting for some Class 1 evidence that it is the EGR responsible and not driving style, or some other factor.
I'm not denying there is a problem with some owners vehicles and there certainly was a problem with some CFCA engines built between 2010/2011 that was apparently fixed in mid 2011, and unfortunately some of those affected engines are in Vehicles that are only just getting to the trigger mileage.
Blanking the EGR and deleting the DPF, as advocated in that group are illegal.
Why has no one taken legal action if they are so sure of their evidence?

Just accept, SOME engines have a problem, mainly early models. No one knows the cause. VWCS UK have questionable parentage and refuse to deal with the problem outside warranty. But to say there is a " big " problem with these engines is stretching things a lot.
Not again. You are welcome to your own view and interpretation. I carefully considered what I said in my post and you seem to take exception to it. Regarding the Facebook forum, it is more than 'Internet chatter' as you out it in a later post. There is rarely a day that goes by without somebody reporting excessive oil consumption or high oil contamination. The strongest reason for this looks to be the EGR wear. I agree that the definative reason has not been established, I did not say it was. I stated there was 'No other information suggesting an alternative reason.'
I agree that the percentage of vehicles with problems is unknown, but it does exist and many people are affected or potentially affected.
Many late model T5 vehicles with this engine are suffering from excessive wear, so it is not just 2010/11.
I did not advacate blanking the EGR or deleting the DPF.
I do accept that SOME engines have a problem. I did not say all.
I think my vehicle is fantastic and have just done the Hannover trip without use of oil. I will not let the potential problem detract from my enjoyment of it.
I will be monitoring carefully the amount of oil I use and will be having the oil analysed yearly to indicate when/if ever I have a problem with it. If a problem arises, then I will deal with it.
I maintain that there is a "big problem" with this engine and add that, as you imply, VW are not being open about what the fault is.
I agree with you that anybody purchasing a 180 vehicle needs to do it with there eyes open and that is why this topic needs to be discussed, to keep owners and potential owners informed.

Back