Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Keep or sell Bike carrier

acer

acer

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 150
We’re buying a new Ocean, but of course we’re a bit late to specify everything perfectly and had to choose from a list that are pre-configured with options.

Anyway, it comes with a bike carrier. We don’t have one on our T5.1 and my wife is generally nervous of the roads and we’ve never really missed not taking bikes away on our campervan holidays for the past 10 years. We like walking. However, now my wife thinks it might be nice to keep the bike carrier for cycling holidays in Holland/Belgium/New Forest etc where she would feel safer. I do enjoy cycling, but I also like money (we could sell it!). I also dislike fuss. So, my questions to this fantastic community are:
1. What do you think is a fair selling price for an original VW bike carrier still in the box?
2. Does the weight of the bike carrier make it more difficult to lift the tailgate? (I assume that you can’t leave the bikes on the carrier and lift the back door).
3. I like to turn up somewhere for a lunch stop, and quickly get into the back to turn on the gas etc. before moving on. Do people have any fixes / systems for removing their bikes quickly and securing them?
4. Can the bike carrier or bikes be removed / stolen easily when we are parked up and away from the van?
5. How comfortable are you that your bikes are safe overnight at a typical French aires? We use them a lot. Do you leave them on the van? Or, chain them up?
6. Does it add to the height of your van? Or, do the bikes sit higher than the van when attached?
8. Do your bikes add to the width of the vehicle? Is the extra length a problem when parking etc? I guess you can’t fit in a standard supermarket carpark space with the bikes attached?
7. If we fitted the bike carrier as a trial, would it leave a mark on the back door if we removed it, deciding that it wasn’t for us after all?
8. We are quite fit and mobile, but do people find it difficult to get the bikes on and off?
9. Is there any noticeable difference in MPG with the bike carrier attached (without bikes on board?)?

My only comment is that the tailgate bike carrier reduces vision and also it will probably have extra powerful gs struts so if you get rid of the carrier you my need to change the struts ( quite simple) for a less powerful one ???

If the van has a towbar, you could sell the VW rack, and buy a simple towbar bike rack.
Much easier to load and unload the bikes. And if you don't need the bikes, you leave the bike rack home.

If the van has a towbar, you could sell the VW rack, and buy a simple towbar bike rack.
Much easier to load and unload the bikes. And if you don't need the bikes, you leave the bike rack home.
It does also have an unwanted removable tow bar that I was going to leave permanently removed. So, that seems like an excellent idea. Might be bad news for my garage storing problem though!

My only comment is that the tailgate bike carrier reduces vision and also it will probably have extra powerful gs struts so if you get rid of the carrier you my need to change the struts ( quite simple) for a less powerful one ???
Oh dear! I did say I don’t like fuss. Perhaps easier to stuff some extra weight into the chair compartment. We currently only keep extra stools in there which don’t seem to make any difference to opening and closing, but I guess that these bike carriers are quite weighty.

All Calis have uprated tailgate struts.

It does also have an unwanted removable tow bar that I was going to leave permanently removed. So, that seems like an excellent idea. Might be bad news for my garage storing problem though!
Personally, I would always leave a towbar on (even the removable one). We once had a vehicle roll into the back of ours ever so slowly. No damage, because the towbar stopped him. If it had been bodywork, it would have been a lot more painful.

We’re buying a new Ocean, but of course we’re a bit late to specify everything perfectly and had to choose from a list that are pre-configured with options.

Anyway, it comes with a bike carrier. We don’t have one on our T5.1 and my wife is generally nervous of the roads and we’ve never really missed not taking bikes away on our campervan holidays for the past 10 years. We like walking. However, now my wife thinks it might be nice to keep the bike carrier for cycling holidays in Holland/Belgium/New Forest etc where she would feel safer. I do enjoy cycling, but I also like money (we could sell it!). I also dislike fuss. So, my questions to this fantastic community are:
1. What do you think is a fair selling price for an original VW bike carrier still in the box?
2. Does the weight of the bike carrier make it more difficult to lift the tailgate? (I assume that you can’t leave the bikes on the carrier and lift the back door).
3. I like to turn up somewhere for a lunch stop, and quickly get into the back to turn on the gas etc. before moving on. Do people have any fixes / systems for removing their bikes quickly and securing them?
4. Can the bike carrier or bikes be removed / stolen easily when we are parked up and away from the van?
5. How comfortable are you that your bikes are safe overnight at a typical French aires? We use them a lot. Do you leave them on the van? Or, chain them up?
6. Does it add to the height of your van? Or, do the bikes sit higher than the van when attached?
8. Do your bikes add to the width of the vehicle? Is the extra length a problem when parking etc? I guess you can’t fit in a standard supermarket carpark space with the bikes attached?
7. If we fitted the bike carrier as a trial, would it leave a mark on the back door if we removed it, deciding that it wasn’t for us after all?
8. We are quite fit and mobile, but do people find it difficult to get the bikes on and off?
9. Is there any noticeable difference in MPG with the bike carrier attached (without bikes on board?)?
1. 400-425. Second hand go for around 300-350.
2. No - makes it easier. In summer when the gas pressure increases its incredibly difficult to pull the tailgate closed. With a bike rack it becomes easier. In the winter, it can sometimes drop after a short while with the bike rack on, but not anything to worry about.
3. The bikes are easy enough to put on and off. Two tyre straps, and a twisty knob. The only challenge/faff is figuring out the best layout for your bikes (depending on handlebars, seats, size, etc) - same with any bike rack.
4. Easily? Not really. The newer style is easier to steal than the older style. With bikes on, i'd say it's challenging due to the overall weight and height. But as with anything, yes it can be stolen if its wanted enough.
5. Cant answer from experience, but others recommend always leaving them chained up together. But see response 4 - anything can be stolen if its wanted enough.
6. Without bikes? No. With bikes? Yes. Depends on the bike height.
7. The racks come with paint protection stickers. Once fitted, they're not intended to be removed (but can be). But they're not reusable. Without those stickers, then yes it would likely leave a mark.
8. Depends on the people. Can you lift your bike above your chest? If so, then no problem.
9. Nah.

If it’s not too late, ask your dealer to fit a black bike rack instead of silver.

If it’s the four bike version I’ll give you a decent price for it.

Oh I was told they’re standard fitting so it shouldn’t cost you anything.

Check with the dealer that you have uprated tailgate struts. Keep the bike rack if you have lightweight road bikes and are able to lift them on. Our Dawes Galaxy bikes had narrow dropped bars, No damage issues with opening the bike loaded tailgate to access the rear when stopped / checked in Dunkirk, by Douarniers - but it was awkward & heavy to do so. If you have heavier Electric Bikes, sell the tailgate rack (Search on the Accessories for Sale forums on here for the going rate, normally £350- £450, but yours is 'New' so maybe a few ++£ ) which will offset the cost if you buy a tow ball fitting type. Then make sure that you get the type that hinges away far enough to open the tailgate with bikes attached. VW, Ford, Volvo, Thule, and Pro-User and a couple of others make that type, again search on Forums for tips as to what may suit. In the end it's up to you. I recently sold our 4 year old VW T6 Tailgate Rack for £350 on here, we retained the HD Tailgate Struts then bought an Ebike capable Pro-User Diamant SG2+ towball carrier for £510, which allows tailgate opening with Ebikes on board. It works for us.
Best wishes, don't overthink it. Enjoy! Db.

Last edited:
Thanks everyone. There seems to be a difference of opinion on whether the rear tailgate has / needs different gas struts depending on whether a bike rack is fitted or not.

Personally, I would always leave a towbar on (even the removable one). We once had a vehicle roll into the back of ours ever so slowly. No damage, because the towbar stopped him. If it had been bodywork, it would have been a lot more painful.
I thought that too. However, In a recent thread someone else suggested that having a towbar fitted could make damage to your vehicle much worse if it was a bigger hit than the one you experienced.

I guess it’s swings and roundabouts. I just know that I would find the towbar with my shins all too often.:oops:

I thought that too. However, In a recent thread someone else suggested that having a towbar fitted could make damage to your vehicle much worse if it was a bigger hit than the one you experienced.

I guess it’s swings and roundabouts. I just know that I would find the towbar with my shins all too often.:oops:
I can’t imagine it would do more damage - if a whack was enough to cause structural damage to the chassis, the plastic bumper isn’t going to absorb enough of the energy to stop it damaging it just as much.

Re tailgate - you can tell when reading the struts and their model number. Standard transporters (T28s, 30s and 32s) all have standard struts. The California has updated struts due to the chairs and an expectation from VW that bike racks are spec’d regularly. Without updated struts, the boot wouldn’t be able to be held up with the chairs in it.

Thanks everyone. There seems to be a difference of opinion on whether the rear tailgate has / needs different gas struts depending on whether a bike rack is fitted or not.
Struts - depend on what model you have - the recent 6.1s have the updated struts from factory. They have a number on the strut e.g. mine has the 1270N struts and recently added the bike rack, they work fine with that and the chairs plus awning in the tailgate. The dealer confirmed they are the ones for use with the bike rack, some older models have lower rated versions so may need an upgrade. When I was researching it am sure I found something on here about different variants.

Bike rack is about £650 new from VW when bought mine about 6 months ago (albeit deploying the £500 compensation voucher for the leaking roof troubles took the sting out of it).

From what you say it sounds like you turn your gas off in the boot if need to access the rear to use burners. There is an on/off switch in the l/h kitchen cupboard, never turn ours off in the boot.

Struts - depend on what model you have - the recent 6.1s have the updated struts from factory. They have a number on the strut e.g. mine has the 1270N struts and recently added the bike rack, they work fine with that and the chairs plus awning in the tailgate. The dealer confirmed they are the ones for use with the bike rack, some older models have lower rated versions so may need an upgrade. When I was researching it am sure I found something on here about different variants.

Bike rack is about £650 new from VW when bought mine about 6 months ago (albeit deploying the £500 compensation voucher for the leaking roof troubles took the sting out of it).

From what you say it sounds like you turn your gas off in the boot if need to access the rear to use burners. There is an on/off switch in the l/h kitchen cupboard, never turn ours off in the boot.
I used to only turn my gas off at the rear for crossing the tunnel, but felt reckless when I read on here how most fully turn-off every time. So now I do the same. “Baa, Baa”!
(Truthfully, I’m sometimes naughty if I’m just pottering around town)

Re model it will be a newly registered Ocean.

As above I left the Heavy Duty tailgate struts on our T6. It requires no real effort to close, there's no real point in changing them and I'm as sure as I can be that it's not going to close on my head.

The California is fitted with a 1270Nm gas strut with stop function.

And is so regardless of whether you are ordering a new Ocean with or without a bike carrier? I’m swaying towards selling the VW bike rack and getting a tow bar mounted carrier, but now a little concerned about having the correct stuts fitted.

The Transporter doesn't have a roller blind or chairs hence the 1270Nm gas struts as standard.
I never had a bike rack, my beach had 1270Nm gas struts from the factory, I didn't spec them, that is how it came

Watch out for the protective stickers; I found after two "cycles" (no pun intended) of the carrier going on for a trip and coming off again for the interim, the protective stickers near the rear lights needed replacing (the way the rack tightens to the frame means it tends to exert a sideways force to the sticker and gradually "ruffles" it up). I plan to just put helicopter tape there next time the rack goes on.

FWIW, storage is fairly easy; I just made a couple of lipped metal bracket and fixed to the wall of the garage, then the carrier hooks onto them as if it was the top of the tailgate. The carrier by itself isn't particularly heavy so easy enough to hang up.

I would strongly recommend this as a toll bar one

Lockable but also when using can easily be taken off and stored in Cali or any car you have . Brilliant … you can even buy a ramp to wheel the bikes up when even older !!!

I would strongly recommend this as a toll bar one

Lockable but also when using can easily be taken off and stored in Cali or any car you have . Brilliant … you can even buy a ramp to wheel the bikes up when even older !!!
Looks good. Pricey though? Also, it will probably be 2 bikes, but the kids might come too and so a 4 bike tow bar carrier option like the altera (?) is a consideration.

If it’s not too late, ask your dealer to fit a black bike rack instead of silver.

If it’s the four bike version I’ll give you a decent price for it.
Your post prompted me to ask by deal to make sure they include the black bike rack when I collect my new van this weekend

But they replied saying VW only supply it in silver?

Do you know the VW part number of the black one, so I can query this?

1723455042733.png

Back