Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

BIke carrier loadings

Norfolk Jim

Norfolk Jim

Vehicle
Looking to buy
I've search without any luck to find out what the load capacity is for the VW cycle rack for when we find our right spec Cali; soon I hope.

We are looking to buy electric bikes and looking at Giant which suit what we need. Both mens and womens are virtually the same weight and have removable batteries. Bike with battery is 23kg - waiting to find out how much battery weighs though.

We currently have an Atera DL3 towbar carrier which has max loading per rail of 23.5kg but max carrier loading of 45kg which is a little odd but workable. I am somewhat puzzled at them saying with added 4th rail max loading is 63kg!!! So with batteries out this is fine so if VW carrier won't take this load of 2 bikes we'd need to be fitting a towbar.

Thanks in anticipation.

I’m sure I heard California Ocean Towbar max weight is 100Kg.

Seen some threads saying 120kg
So 70kg no problem.
I have two electric bikes and a normal bike.
With batteries and cover on a ThuleXT folding towbar.
And it stayed in place at 80mph on a German autobahn. Rock steady.

I've search without any luck to find out what the load capacity is for the VW cycle rack for when we find our right spec Cali; soon I hope.

We are looking to buy electric bikes and looking at Giant which suit what we need. Both mens and womens are virtually the same weight and have removable batteries. Bike with battery is 23kg - waiting to find out how much battery weighs though.

We currently have an Atera DL3 towbar carrier which has max loading per rail of 23.5kg but max carrier loading of 45kg which is a little odd but workable. I am somewhat puzzled at them saying with added 4th rail max loading is 63kg!!! So with batteries out this is fine so if VW carrier won't take this load of 2 bikes we'd need to be fitting a towbar.

Thanks in anticipation.

My DL3 has 2 e-bikes and a kids bike.
No issues and driven thousands of miles with the setup.

My DL3 has 2 e-bikes and a kids bike.
No issues and driven thousands of miles with the setup.
This is what my local bike chap said. He agreed the Atera was an incrdible carrier and was sure it wouldn't be a problem - thanks

This is what my local bike chap said. He agreed the Atera was an incrdible carrier and was sure it wouldn't be a problem - thanks

Mine is 10 years old, still in use :thumb

OK - so got the 2 bikes and boy are they a tight fit and feal heavy - not advised to take the 4.4kg battery out for travel as too many electrical connections exposed (wife suggested clingfilm wrap lol) - looking on The Roof Box Company website (main agents for Atera) it suggests max of 1 eBike of 23.5kg so now a little concerned I'm overloading the rack - thoughts!

Back