Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Keep or sell Bike carrier

Thule supply them in black so no reason VW can’t?

Thule supply them in black so no reason VW can’t?
Whilst they're made and licensed by Thule, they're VW approved parts. The black ones aren't OEM, so wont be something VW can source. Joys of procurement processes.

Also, I didn't think Thule made them in black. They made the Thule Wanderway but that's a different model.

New bike rack on the VW site as part of a Travel Pack with new style wind deflectors!
IMG_4221.jpegIMG_4222.jpeg

Whilst they're made and licensed by Thule, they're VW approved parts. The black ones aren't OEM, so wont be something VW can source. Joys of procurement processes.

Also, I didn't think Thule made them in black. They made the Thule Wanderway but that's a different model.
How does the Wanderway differ from the gen VW unit?

We’re buying a new Ocean, but of course we’re a bit late to specify everything perfectly and had to choose from a list that are pre-configured with options.

Anyway, it comes with a bike carrier. We don’t have one on our T5.1 and my wife is generally nervous of the roads and we’ve never really missed not taking bikes away on our campervan holidays for the past 10 years. We like walking. However, now my wife thinks it might be nice to keep the bike carrier for cycling holidays in Holland/Belgium/New Forest etc where she would feel safer. I do enjoy cycling, but I also like money (we could sell it!). I also dislike fuss. So, my questions to this fantastic community are:
1. What do you think is a fair selling price for an original VW bike carrier still in the box?
2. Does the weight of the bike carrier make it more difficult to lift the tailgate? (I assume that you can’t leave the bikes on the carrier and lift the back door).
3. I like to turn up somewhere for a lunch stop, and quickly get into the back to turn on the gas etc. before moving on. Do people have any fixes / systems for removing their bikes quickly and securing them?
4. Can the bike carrier or bikes be removed / stolen easily when we are parked up and away from the van?
5. How comfortable are you that your bikes are safe overnight at a typical French aires? We use them a lot. Do you leave them on the van? Or, chain them up?
6. Does it add to the height of your van? Or, do the bikes sit higher than the van when attached?
8. Do your bikes add to the width of the vehicle? Is the extra length a problem when parking etc? I guess you can’t fit in a standard supermarket carpark space with the bikes attached?
7. If we fitted the bike carrier as a trial, would it leave a mark on the back door if we removed it, deciding that it wasn’t for us after all?
8. We are quite fit and mobile, but do people find it difficult to get the bikes on and off?
9. Is there any noticeable difference in MPG with the bike carrier attached (without bikes on board?)?
We’re buying a new Ocean, but of course we’re a bit late to specify everything perfectly and had to choose from a list that are pre-configured with options.

Anyway, it comes with a bike carrier. We don’t have one on our T5.1 and my wife is generally nervous of the roads and we’ve never really missed not taking bikes away on our campervan holidays for the past 10 years. We like walking. However, now my wife thinks it might be nice to keep the bike carrier for cycling holidays in Holland/Belgium/New Forest etc where she would feel safer. I do enjoy cycling, but I also like money (we could sell it!). I also dislike fuss. So, my questions to this fantastic community are:
1. What do you think is a fair selling price for an original VW bike carrier still in the box?
2. Does the weight of the bike carrier make it more difficult to lift the tailgate? (I assume that you can’t leave the bikes on the carrier and lift the back door).
3. I like to turn up somewhere for a lunch stop, and quickly get into the back to turn on the gas etc. before moving on. Do people have any fixes / systems for removing their bikes quickly and securing them?
4. Can the bike carrier or bikes be removed / stolen easily when we are parked up and away from the van?
5. How comfortable are you that your bikes are safe overnight at a typical French aires? We use them a lot. Do you leave them on the van? Or, chain them up?
6. Does it add to the height of your van? Or, do the bikes sit higher than the van when attached?
8. Do your bikes add to the width of the vehicle? Is the extra length a problem when parking etc? I guess you can’t fit in a standard supermarket carpark space with the bikes attached?
7. If we fitted the bike carrier as a trial, would it leave a mark on the back door if we removed it, deciding that it wasn’t for us after all?
8. We are quite fit and mobile, but do people find it difficult to get the bikes on and off?
9. Is there any noticeable difference in MPG with the bike carrier attached (without bikes on board?)?
Hi, I would happily swap you for my Thule XT2 easy fold. It is used but in good condition. Obviously more expensive than yours, but i am looking to change anyway the easyfold is not ideal when we have a dog crate in the back. Let me know if your interested in a straight swap.

Hi, I would happily swap you for my Thule XT2 easy fold. It is used but in good condition. Obviously more expensive than yours, but i am looking to change anyway the easyfold is not ideal when we have a dog crate in the back. Let me know if your interested in a straight swap.
Thanks Dodge. It does seem to pack down nice and small, but the Atera3 seems cheaper and you can add another rack to carry another bike. It would take quite a bit of persuasion for the kids to come, but you never know! Does anyone have experience of both carriers?

Thanks Dodge. It does seem to pack down nice and small, but the Atera3 seems cheaper and you can add another rack to carry another bike. It would take quite a bit of persuasion for the kids to come, but you never know! Does anyone have experience of both carriers?

Had an Altera 3. Great rack..Only sold as son started doing triathlon training 3 nights a week and wife found it to heavy to put on/off each time…so used Cali rack instead as she found it easier to use day to day - just fold it down and put the bike on.

Now have the old cali rack on the joker + MFT back box underneath on the towbar for longer trips.

Back