Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

OEM bike carrier and MPG

K

Krispy

Just wondering if anyone has worked out if the official vw rear bike carrier has enough impact on MPG when folded to make it worth removing when not in use.

Don't really want the hassle of taking it on or off, but as I rarely put bikes on it, perhaps I should?

Thanks for help.

If it's that worrying fella then take it off .....i'm sure it's not that much being it's in the rear disturbed area of air on cali and not like the awning, wing mirrors etc doing all the air cutting and creating of the drag in the first place...i'm pretty sure it's not much that you would notice and save you loads of money a year,but if you don't use it then maybe sell it and if you need to transport bikes pop them inside the cali like some of the other members do to stop them getting cold and wet on the bike rack ... :smile :bananadance

I tend to leave my bike rack on now, and I haven't seen any impact at all on mpg. I imagine there must be some reduction, but if so it isn't worth worrying about.

Simon

BIKE RACK & REDUCED MPG.
I've always considered that leaving a bike rack on when unloaded would have only a small effect on your mpg as it is in a dead air zone behind the vehicle.
On another thread someone posted that they had assessed that leaving an empty bike rack on reduced their mpg by 4/5 mpg.
Has anyone done a test on their Cali? What was the result, and was it a 140/204 or 4Motion?

Back