Keep the receipts...

AlisonF

AlisonF

Super Poster
VIP Member
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Beach camper 150
A friend who knows I'm about to get my Cali sent me a story from another friend. Their van was stoen in January and the insurance company has gone a bit quiet. On chasing them they have been informed that the contents will not be covered unless they can produce receipts for everything. Apparently they are with Safeguard. Much of the stuff was bough when they got the van 5 years ago and no longer have receipts.
I doubt this is unique to any particluar insurance company and has prompted me to make sure I file away all my receipts as it soon mounts up...

Thank you for the Heads up Alison,

I'm sure many of us have a considerable amount of cash tied up in our California comforts.

Maybe photos of your Cali and accessories together may be proof enough.

Maybe photos of your Cali and accessories together may be proof enough.

think this is a good idea -- who keeps reciepts for kitchen equipment,pots and pans knife's and fork's storage boxes seat covers which were bought years ago.

Thanks for that Alison
Have ordered some things for our T6 Ocean ( not delivered yet) .
Ordered mostly online , so will keep invoices sent & have records on my PayPal & Amazon accounts.

Most receipts don't say what goods they paid for. We keep most of them but in this case almost useless.
I bet insurance company won't be happy just with receipt but will need a proof that it paid for a specific part in the van..

When my wife's bag was stolen, police was also asking for receipts and description of the goods. They've caught the thief. And instead of like $1500 stolen goods inside we didn't get any of things back. They just forced the thief to pay us $200 compensation and police told us to f#ck off :))

That's why electronic receipts are so useful. Easily stored on computer, backup and the iCloud.
Really upsets the Insurance company when you can produce ALL the receipts .

I found safeguard awkward to deal with from the off when I took out our cali policy with them a few years back. They wanted to know the exact make and model of the alarm and immobiliser and had me ringing around VW dealers to find out. Even VW didn't know! So they put it down as not having an alarm.
Went to Comfort the following year they were much easier to deal with.

Sent from my Galaxy S6

We have been with Safeguard for three years now and have always been excellent, they always return our calls and there premiums have always been competetive and they will normally either match or beat your current quote

This is all useful info. Ordered our new T6 Ocean in January and expecting delivery in May (we hope...). I'm just checking out insurance quotes, and just had a poor initial experience with Safeguard - not very good customer service, I would say. Can anyone recommend other companies which have been good to deal with? Claims experience etc counts for a lot. We live near Leeds which is a high car crime zone... we plan to do quite a bit of touring in France, Spain and Italy.

Can I suggest using Evernote? Either email in or take pics of the receipts - easy to find again and free (in the basic version)

This is all useful info. Ordered our new T6 Ocean in January and expecting delivery in May (we hope...). I'm just checking out insurance quotes, and just had a poor initial experience with Safeguard - not very good customer service, I would say. Can anyone recommend other companies which have been good to deal with? Claims experience etc counts for a lot. We live near Leeds which is a high car crime zone... we plan to do quite a bit of touring in France, Spain and Italy.
Have you thought of Caravan Club or Camping & Caravan Club.
With the CC you get New for Old for 2 years on new Campervans. Not the cheapest, but do know the vehicle. Membership can be useful.

Have you thought of Caravan Club or Camping & Caravan Club.
With the CC you get New for Old for 2 years on new Campervans. Not the cheapest, but do know the vehicle. Membership can be useful.
Cheers WelshGas. Been looking at them so will give them a go...

Back