Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Keeping cool at night

Lewis

Lewis

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
I spend a lot of time in Morocco where it can get quite hot. Having been a lorry driver for ? years on European routes I know about keeping the cab cool.
I want something to keep the van cool at night without letting wee bitey things in.
Been looking at the Indel B SW. Now comes in 12 volt and plugs into a lighter socket. Not cheap at £1,800 but on a van costing as much as a California, not too much to spend to keep cool at night.

Really like the look of this. How would you feed the hoses out though without leaving the windows down to let in midges/possible intruders?

Ksar-el-kebir

Ksar-el-kebir

Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204 4Motion
It only arrived yesterday. Working until Monday so I’ll have a look Tuesday and let you know.

Gasgas

Gasgas

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204
We have purchased an a/c unit from " cool my camper " it is a split pack connected by an unbilical cord ,you hang one half outside the sliding window on a table with the other half sitting on the glass kitchen unit . I had to buy a sheet of 2mm plastic and use the Cali fly screens as a template and make a solid screen with a small cut for the cord to seal the interior ..it really does keep it nice and chilled

Ksar-el-kebir

Ksar-el-kebir

Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204 4Motion
We have purchased an a/c unit from " cool my camper " it is a split pack connected by an unbilical cord ,you hang one half outside the sliding window on a table with the other half sitting on the glass kitchen unit . I had to buy a sheet of 2mm plastic and use the Cali fly screens as a template and make a solid screen with a small cut for the cord to seal the interior ..it really does keep it nice and chilled
It looks good!

kurienp

kurienp

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204 4Motion
It looks good!
The decision is also between the 'cool my camper' which works only on AC power and the indel which can work on 12v DC. :) Indel for stealth camping. Will be interested in how you plan to fix.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Volkywagen

Volkywagen

VIP Member
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
My friend owns the Transcool business up here, (cooling systems for vans and caravans) so if anybody is interested let me know. I might be able to rustle up a decent discount or two ;)

Ksar-el-kebir

Ksar-el-kebir

Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204 4Motion
My friend owns the Transcool business up here, (cooling systems for vans and caravans) so if anybody is interested let me know. I might be able to rustle up a decent discount or two ;)
Evaporative coolers are good in a dry climate but when it’s humid they add to the humidity.

Annik

Annik

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
Just looked at some videos of the cool my camper unit and it looks big and bulky in the motorhomes so I suspect it's even more bulky in the Cali. Don't you find you need to keep moving it from place to place if you use it on the worktop? Some images of it in use would be cool please?

Gasgas

Gasgas

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204
Hooked together they are bulky ,but apart not so as the internal unit is smaller and much lighter. I have only had it a little over a week ,the test that I did was to leave it running for about 1.5 hours in the Cali on the worktop facing the bench seats with the homemade screen in place and it was lovely and cold ,so imo no need to move it unless it was getting uncomfortably cold . We don't often use the sink in the Cali when we camp so it's not really in the way. They do say it is not suitable for campers with sliding Windows but by using the vw fly screens as a template with a solid piece of plastic seems to work well. When I did my test I did have the roof up and also the internal ceiling with the upstairs windows shut . On the making of the screen I had to sand the lugs on the corners to make them thinner so that they fitted correctly (as per the original vw ones)..I will try and post you some pics soon

Legin

Legin

VIP Member
Vehicle
Cali now sold
I spend a lot of time in Morocco where it can get quite hot. Having been a lorry driver for ? years on European routes I know about keeping the cab cool.
I want something to keep the van cool at night without letting wee bitey things in.
Been looking at the Indel B SW. Now comes in 12 volt and plugs into a lighter socket. Not cheap at £1,800 but on a van costing as much as a California, not too much to spend to keep cool at night.

Not going to work on a ciggy socket it will melt in 10 seconds. This draws 36 amps at 12v so your leisure battery will be flat in just over an hour if you can wire it in. Realistically only two ways to power it either a mobile generator at 240v or from the mains in both cases via a transformer or really big battery charger. It does look viable and the packaging looks good.

WelshGas

WelshGas

Retired after 42 yrs and enjoying Life.
Top Poster
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180 4Motion
One minute people are worried about running the Diesel Heater and waking the neighbours now we're talking about running AirCon units and in-between worrying about emissions and climate change.

As far as I'm concerned if you can't sleep at night you've spent too many ZZZZZ's during the day and not enough C2H5OH in the evening.

All you need is a fan, 12v or 240v at night if there is no breeze or you can't leave the windows open.

Hot air rises, so Tailgate open with AirSafe and roof bellows windows open.

Legin

Legin

VIP Member
Vehicle
Cali now sold
Could do with a bigger one just to be sure

Legin

Legin

VIP Member
Vehicle
Cali now sold

Im amazed the unit can pass through the sliding window which is rather handy.
Do you have a photo of the set up ?

W

Wongo

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204 4Motion
How about a cool mat from the pet shop, the cat is suspicious of it so I used it last night on top of a pillow, very cool.

Legin

Legin

VIP Member
Vehicle
Cali now sold
Our dog has one and it is actually cold.

Gasgas

Gasgas

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204
When the temps are high at night with no breeze then a Fan is ok but air cond is much better imo and with a Dog its a must have

Gasgas

Gasgas

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204
Hi legin ,I am away for a couple more days but will post a picture with it set up when we return

VW California Club