Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Keeping up fitness programmes when touring

M

Meerkat1234

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204 4Motion
I have got rather into my strength training over the last year and with a big trip coming up, don't want to let that go. How do those of you who have a regular fitness programme keep that going on long trips away and what do you pack?

So far I'm going to take:
- my TRX
- mat
- ipad for follow-along videos

Thinking of buying:
- pack flat water-filled dumb bells
- er... that's all I can think of.

Like everything with the Cali, least kit possible, most functionality approach is preferable. What do you do?

I have got rather into my strength training over the last year and with a big trip coming up, don't want to let that go. How do those of you who have a regular fitness programme keep that going on long trips away and what do you pack?

- my TRX
- mat

Thinking of buying:

Like everything with the Cali, least kit possible, most functionality approach is preferable. What do you do?
I take my OYO NOVA personal Gym along https://www.oyogym.co.uk/pages/nova-gym and a mat.

- my TRX
- mat

Thinking of buying:

pack flat water-filled dumb bells - Have you considered just using the water bottles that you will need to have anyway.

How have you found the strength training…?
I’m recovering from a skiing injury and finding proper stretching really helpful, but need to start more weight based training. Hated that sort of workout in the past, always preferred cardio workouts.

pack flat water-filled dumb bells - Have you considered just using the water bottles that you will need to have anyway.
We don't tend to have many water bottles, we just use the water in the tank. Anyway, water bottles tend to be too big for my grasp and they fly out of my hands!

How have you found the strength training…?
I’m recovering from a skiing injury and finding proper stretching really helpful, but need to start more weight based training. Hated that sort of workout in the past, always preferred cardio workouts.
I find it far more effective that anything else. The only 'cardio' I do is on the static bike (used to do it to Zwift but changing over now) but that's because I'm trying to train so I can do cycle rides and not collapse at the first sign of an incline. I think what people forget is that you still get a cardio workout from strength training, but it isn't achieved through 20 minutes of the same move on a cardio machine, but through just a few moves which build strength as well. I far more enjoy the weights and notice improvement each week.

And as we get older (ahem...) I think building strength and flexibility is more important than ever.

I follow bodyweight people on youtube (Tom Merrick/Bodyweight warrior is a young man but very good), do some NYC ballet exercises (v tough), and a bit of calisthenics and stretching too.

Helps to have some fun goals too. Mine this year is to hold a handstand without support for a good while and do a cartwheel on my "wrong" side.

@Meerkat1234 absolutely.
I used to spin 3 times a week with another lad. Since lockdown, he spins once a week and strength trains 3 times for 45mins each session.
He’s looking better than ever and puts it down to weights and circuit training.

My last few years (currently 43) I don’t feel as strong as I once was and have picked up so many injuries the last 6/7 years. It’s really annoying.
I’ve got to re-think my training…

@Meerkat1234 absolutely.
I used to spin 3 times a week with another lad. Since lockdown, he spins once a week and strength trains 3 times for 45mins each session.
He’s looking better than ever and puts it down to weights and circuit training.

My last few years (currently 43) I don’t feel as strong as I once was and have picked up so many injuries the last 6/7 years. It’s really annoying.
I’ve got to re-think my training…
I have been doing Shona Virtue videos. They’re a great mix of cardio and strength. My wife started first. She’s moved onto harder Joe Wix but I’m using her Shona login. Been doing it for a couple of years, twice a week. She’s supposedly David Beckham’s yoga teacher.

Last edited:
Back