Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

What other sports/activities do you guys enjoy?

Road cycling, and whitewater kayaking but not regularly enough to satisfy my appetite or improve my skills at that.

Sleeping, dog walking, sleeping, dog agility, sleeping, RPM / spin class, sleeping, swimming 1-2km, sleeping, not enough dog walking (Ellie), too much dog walking (Gromit), gardening, housework, earning pennies to keep the house / van / dogs, sleeping (Grom happy), walking (Ellie happy)... now to sleep...

Marathon walking - have done 3 - The Burren on two occasions (wonderful) and New York (bad experience for walkers, walking over banana skins and empty plastic cups discarded by runners).

Also cycling, love that. Had to cycle everywhere this summer after ankle fracture as was unable to walk. Kept driving the Cail though, just removed my AirCast boot and wore mountain boots and no problem pushing brake and accelerator.

Fell running (with the dogs) and open water swimming. We live in the Yorkshire Dales National Park with the Lake District just an hour away so naturally spend a lot of time there. We also love the Pembrokeshire coast, having yomped it top to bottom, the Cornish coast, having yomped all of that too, North West Wales and Snowdonia and the Scottish Highlands and islands. I reckon we can really make use of our Cali when it comes

Kitesurfing, Mountain biking a bit and really love to try paragliding.

Gliding.... towed the glider down to the Southern French Alps with the cali the last two years, didn't know I'd got a trailer on the back (on the French roads!). Will be there again next year. Awsome place to fly!

Tennis for me. Looking to tour the veterans circuit when I reach the age, or rather, when the children have flown the nest. Hope the body can hold out for now..

Tennis for me. Looking to tour the veterans circuit when I reach the age, or rather, when the children have flown the nest. Hope the body can hold out for now..

Ah, I play Sunday mornings with man who plays for GB over 40s.

His fitness is remarkable. On good days I can match him for a very short while, but my conceit is that I do give him a good workout.

Off now to play him - indoors today.

I'm 47 so he's a bit of a youngster! What's his name?

I'm 47 so he's a bit of a youngster! What's his name?

Malcolm. He would be about 42.

Absolutely ripped. He recently played the guy who reached 3rd round of US Open this year, Dan Evans maybe?

Had a good hit with him this morning but only 45 minutes. Even passed him few times, which is easy if you attempt 20 and get 2....

Actually, I was thinking of going down to La Manga for 2 weeks during school break in October, but have decided to save money instead. Was 3k gbp just for 2 of us.

Maybe all of us Cali owners/tennis players should do a Cali/tennis holiday at some point.

That sounds an idea for the future. I am about to start playing again after suffering a slipped disc. A hit with Evans, he must be a decent player, as you. I coach and play in a club in Wimbledon, lots of good guys to hit with..

Good luck.

I can guess where you play. Malc is v v good.

I am no good. Only took up tennis in US 3 decades ago because of lack of cricket. Because I had bog shots of both hands, and liked running everything down, game was tad easier for me than others.

But with serve, eyesight, and poor movement due to dodgy hip I now treat more as "release eye strain from tablet/Kindle use."

Plus I think I need to lower than the 330gm unstrung racquet weight. Strung close to 380..

Good luck.

I can guess where you play. Malc is v v good.

I am no good. Only took up tennis in US 3 decades ago because of lack of cricket. Because I had bog shots of both hands, and liked running everything down, game was tad easier for me than others.

But with serve, eyesight, and poor movement due to dodgy hip I now treat more as "release eye strain from tablet/Kindle use."

Plus I think I need to lower than the 330gm unstrung racquet weight. Strung close to 380..
That's a heavy racket by modern day standards but if you came to tennis via cricket it's understandable..

That's a heavy racket by modern day standards but if you came to tennis via cricket it's understandable..

It is too heavy for me now. 295g way too light.

Also forehand technique completely changed since the 80s. Over a few years mine has now adapted to the modern technique.

So maybe 310g etc racquet for me - not sure racquet will help. Btw, current one same as Andy M uses. V v head light. I will have to go lighter and more balanced. Will lose weight of shot and start hitting long but retrieve better.

Or so I hope.

Interestingly in cricket in my last full league season 14 to 15 years ago I had 5 bats, ranging from 2lb 7 ounces to 2lb 14. Barely used the last one except once when I wanted to shorten the backlift. Ended up getting a big score.

Used the lighter ones for faster and bouncier pitches at the Oval where I expected to hook and cut more often. Heavier bats get you extra off the front foit, while lighter bats let you play much better off back foot.

There is a trade off between maneouverability and solidity of shot. I am now carrying 4 somewhat similar but as well different styles of racquet in my bag, but can't seem to pick and choose on the day.

In cricket, I could do that.

Wonder, whether tennis players do something similar?

a8a00666e35852b527a73d2c845f3694.jpg

b9dd7698ed148b3f5726a80d90b30105.jpg

Hiking again.

Fell running (with the dogs) and open water swimming. We live in the Yorkshire Dales National Park with the Lake District just an hour away so naturally spend a lot of time there. We also love the Pembrokeshire coast, having yomped it top to bottom, the Cornish coast, having yomped all of that too, North West Wales and Snowdonia and the Scottish Highlands and islands. I reckon we can really make use of our Cali when it comes

I've now added suitable pictures :)

image.jpeg image.jpeg

image.jpg Rugby and squash day's are over for me, so it's now 140.6 and 70.3 IronMan triathlon's. Cali is perfect for travelling to events and being on site ready for the early starts...when not racing, hiking and riding a Brompton (not at the same time)

I used to enjoy running :sad

A week before the Brighton MOvember 10k and I'm hobbling.

I was at an event last night, high heels, posh frock and too much wine and I think the strain of the heels on my calf muscles and the dehydration from the booze combined today :sad

Fortunately I was not out running in my posh frock when everything below the knees seized up :shocked

Back