Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

kenwood DAB alternative?

T

Tntoast

VIP Member
Ive been doing a bit of research into DAB for in the van, the usual VW DAB and Kenwood unit seem to be the more popular. I think there is an alternative.
I spoke to my local car audio man, whom ive used previously and he has offered a Pioneer alternative. It’s the AVH-X3500 or 3600DAB unit.
It doesn’t come with sat nav BUT runs apps of’v your smart phone, ie tom-tom, freenat etc. so you have a sat nav function on your unit, it mirrors your phone screen so can be seen on the 6.1” screen as the kenwood. It plays video content of your phone also, so you can watch iplayer etc.
The unit is 399, you need a couple of add-ons to drive off your MFSW etc and a different cable for your iphone 5. but if you’ve already got a DAB aeieeairieeil you could be up and running for about £500. The iphone 5 video cable aint cheap tho (160) that bumbs price up, but it comes with the iphone 4 kit as standard.
He also said that if you have the DAB in the wing mirror, if you’ve got metallic paint that will effect the signal – interesting.
Ive had this units dumber brother in my old caravelle for a few years and they are good units, worth considering.

not sure about the parking sensors, good point. but if the kenwood does then id be surprised if this unit doesnt.
the sat nav function is used via your phone as an app, it gets displayed on the screen.
advantage of that is that to upgrade, you upgrade your app, easier..

Back