Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Kevin's Cali accesory shop.

calikev

calikev

Administrator
Admin/Founder
Vehicle
T4 PopTop
Hello everybody. Most of you will know who I am. I help run the Cali club. After reading all of the posts on a daily basis I have learned than an awfull lot of extra's need to be bought for the Cali so I have decided to open a little shop. I will build the range up over time. I am starting with hook up
Adapters and polarity tester for use abroad. Eventually the club will have a proper shop but in the meantime you can click on this link to see my products http://www.vwcaliforniaclub.com/kevshop.html
Payment is through PayPal
Many thanks and I hope to be of some help expecially to new Cali owners
Calikev.

Perfect timing on the hook up adapter and polarity tester!
Of to Spain/Frane at the end of next week - and these are on my 'to get' list.

Expect an order from me very shortly (as soon as I've submitted this post, I'll be heading on over and picking up a basket ...)

Steve

Cheeky question ...

Is there a deal to be done on P&P if multiple items purchased?

Pays to be cheeky Steve I am in the process of setting up a starter pack that will include
Polarity tester and both leads for £25 inc del. the problem is once you have created a PayPal button you can't alter it. The starter pack should be on here later.
Cheers kev. Ps if you are coming to Wicksteed let me know I can bring anything you are interested along. Free postage if you collect :thumb

Ta!
I'll be ordering a starter pack as soon as they are available!
Unfortunately won't be + Wicksteed - that weekend is slap bang in the middle of my trip to Spain/France.
Steve

OK - maybe I should slow down and switch my brain on ...

I know I need a polarity tester.
I *think* I already have a continental mains hook up adapter - this came with the Cali.
I *think* I already have a UK mains hook up adapter - this came with my hook up cable.
What I think I need is a reverse polarity hook up adapter cable - it's all well and good finding out that the polirity is reversed, but I'll need something to sort it out, won't I ?

[ Can you see me back-pedalling very fast Kev? ]

Are you looking into providing a reverse polarity hook up adapter cable, Kev ?

Steve

Hi Steve. It is illegal for me to sell reversed cables. You have to do it yourself
There is a post on here someware that explainers all about what you need to do.
Try searching reversed polarity. Hope this helps.

Looks good, have ordered them all!

I'm a total duffer when it comes to electrical theory, so could I get this straight please; if I was to buy another continental adaptor and re-wire it myself as per the magazine article "Crossed Wires" attached to the item on another thread, then that would be the one to use when my polarity detector tells me the polarity is reversed?

And is it just the French who are guilty of this lapse, or would it apply to Germany, Holland, Denmark etc?

Seems we here in the UK are the only ones in Europe taking safety regulations seriously?

Hi geoff
Thanks for your order i have sent it to you today
I am a little amiss to it all as well but i think
You have got it right. Most people carry one with the live and neutral
Changed over clearly marked for when reverse polarity
Is detected. I am going to research it a little more
Cant do any harm in knowing. As for other countries not sure
Maybe we should have a topic started for this

Spain used to be particularly bad but most places are getting better.

I brought my reverse polarity cable on eBay and when camping in uk over Easter tested the hook up and would you believe it was reversed!!

Certainly worth having and easy to make if you can't find any on eBay.

Kev, :idea: just had a thought re: the polarity tester that you are selling, if it tests the polarity by plugging into the 13a socket within the van.......could the battery charging system not be damaged as there is no way of switching it off if the van is connected :?:

We could do with a way of testing at the hook up post really so the van remains protected!

Chris

As far as I know the battery charging system on the Cali will have reverse polarity protection built in, so it will just automatically cut out everything than runs on 12V DC but the AC circuit going to the UK mains socket behind the passenger seat will still have live current straight from the hook up post. ( this is how it works on motorhomes so I assume it is the same set up on the Cali , older motorhomes would have a fuse that would blow but most modern systems will have a protection diode)

Anyone travelling to Europe for the first time it might be worth downloading this guide which is in the downloads section of the website and keep a copy in the van .

http://vwcaliforniaclub.com/downloads/Reversed_Polarity.pdf

Thanks for that Martin. That's good advice
I have added more items to my shop today. A water fill up and a fire extinguisher :thumb

the polarity issues has been covered in great detail on many forums, but just to set minds at rest the california will not be damaged by it, the circuit breaker is 2 pole so is protecting both Live and Neutral (is on facelift not sure on older vans). The issue is if you are using fused plug in the socket and the polarity is reversed you will not have the fuse in the plug protecting the appliance. Reverse polarity will only affect fuse protection and will not damage your appliance so most people would be totally unaware unless the have a tester. So if in doubt pop on Kev's store and get buying :)

Mark

Very useful info mark. thanks for that :thumb :thumb

I bought a polarity tester and reversed polarity cable from eBay prior to our European road trip to Denmark at Easter. Two of the sites we stayed at (both quite modern, with Euro connectors) had reversed polarity, indicated by a polarity tester in the Cali's 3-pin socket. Quick switch-off and connection of reversed cable and all was well. No problems with van as a result. Good luck with the shop, will be having a look!

Does your fire extinguisher need any drilling to fix on? Or does it just stick to the cabinet surface? Will order if the latter!

Thanks for that martin :thumb Matt I fitted mine to the side of the bed with self tapping screws
I had to give it a bit of thought but then decided the fire extinguisher will stay we're it is so
No visible holes but like Martin said there are various places to put it :thumb

Back