Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Buying our first California - security advice

Gelato

Gelato

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 199 4Motion
Put a deposit down for our first California, not sure when we will collect it now, VW only just starting production again, hopefully July, to go away in August. My question is security, we are thinking of getting a tracker fitted, we were thinking the immobiliser think called Ghost, but no insurance companies know about this system, tracker appears to be preferred. A few insurance companies I have contacted asked if vehicle will have a tracker fitted, Admiral who we are with haven't but they have had problems getting VW California Ocean on their system to provide a quote, asked us for reg number which we don't have at the moment!

We were also thinking about bollards front of the house (small) drive but see someone has raised a question also about these. Wondered if people think a steering wheel lock might be better as visual security on our drive. Not had any problems before but just aware it is an expensive vehicle. Wondered if other forum members use a steering lock at home or away on holiday, if so which would they recommend. Thank you for any opinions/advice.

The Autowatch ghost is the best thing you can buy in my opinion. Not getting it stolen in the first place whether the insurance recognised it or not is better then trying to track it after it has been taken.
with the ghost the vehicle cannot be started even if the thieves have obtained the keys.
I have the ghost and also a tracker, but its the ghost that helps me sleep well at night.
the newest ghost is Thatcham approved so more insurance companies will have it listed.

Put a deposit down for our first California, not sure when we will collect it now, VW only just starting production again, hopefully July, to go away in August. My question is security, we are thinking of getting a tracker fitted, we were thinking the immobiliser think called Ghost, but no insurance companies know about this system, tracker appears to be preferred. A few insurance companies I have contacted asked if vehicle will have a tracker fitted, Admiral who we are with haven't but they have had problems getting VW California Ocean on their system to provide a quote, asked us for reg number which we don't have at the moment!

We were also thinking about bollards front of the house (small) drive but see someone has raised a question also about these. Wondered if people think a steering wheel lock might be better as visual security on our drive. Not had any problems before but just aware it is an expensive vehicle. Wondered if other forum members use a steering lock at home or away on holiday, if so which would they recommend. Thank you for any opinions/advice.
I’m with Admiral, I think the problem is that their system has the California listed under “Transporter” rather than being identified as a model in its own right. My insurance certificate shows “ Transporter California SE”.

Inter
The Autowatch ghost is the best thing you can buy in my opinion. Not getting it stolen in the first place whether the insurance recognised it or not is better then trying to track it after it has been taken.
with the ghost the vehicle cannot be started even if the thieves have obtained the keys.
I have the ghost and also a tracker, but its the ghost that helps me sleep well at night.
the newest ghost is Thatcham approved so more insurance companies will have it listed.
Interesting that the ghost is now Thatcham approved that should help with insurance companies perhaps, mentioned it when getting quotes, for an idea of insurance premiums and system wasn’t recognised. Do you know if there is just the one company who produce this system, live in Essex would it be easy to find a company who supply/fit ? Do you have a tracker fitted for insurance reasons - could you recommend a good system? Sorry for a few questions :)

Agree with @Loz new Ghost is thatcham 6 rated - they also do 25% off a global telemetrics tracker if you have both fitted together -£12 month contract for tracker.
Just renewed with comfort and got the club discount and discount for Ghost and tracker.
Easy to use and stops Cali being stolen in first place :thumb

Inter

Interesting that the ghost is now Thatcham approved that should help with insurance companies perhaps, mentioned it when getting quotes, for an idea of insurance premiums and system wasn’t recognised. Do you know if there is just the one company who produce this system, live in Essex would it be easy to find a company who supply/fit ? Do you have a tracker fitted for insurance reasons - could you recommend a good system? Sorry for a few questions :)
They have a national network of fitters - contact them on Facebook and ask for a quote for the various different Ghost plus tracker combos there is one for every budget.
Combo I had was +£850 including fitting (Ghost and insurance recognised tracker) but you can pay more than that for just a tracker.

I wouldn’t bother with a steering wheel lock. Far more effective in my opinion would be to swivel the front seat. Having done that, for extra peace of mind, reapply the handbrake, move the seat back and recline. Deadlock the doors.

I expect that seeing the front seat rotated would deter nearly all would be crooks. In the unlikely event that they continue with their attempt to permanently deprive you of your California, they will need to rotate the front seat with a deadlocked door, which would require removal of some door trim, no easy task with a rotated seat in the way, and even if they remove the trim or somehow open the deadlocked door (presumably with stolen or otherwise acquired keys) they will need to know how to swivel the seat.

Had my van in the garage last week, main dealer.
Yet again, they were completely stumped how to get the vehicle going, even with all their knowledge of the vehicle and VW software at their disposal.

Unable to start a California with a ghost fitted.
For £300, it’s a no brainer ...

Over here almost all Cali's have a 'Bear Lock'. It's a mechanical gear box lock. You use a key in a lock on the lower part of the dash to unlock your gear box before you can drive it.

Don’t forget that if you ordered Discover Nav Pro with 3 years connect plus, then on the app you can get theft notifications along with live vehicle tracking.

Another soon to be new owner here and planning to get a Ghost for security plus a tracker for belt & braces and insurance reasons. Do you have a reference for the Ghost being Thatcham approved, please? I've not seen that anywhere else - only the contrary.

Another soon to be new owner here and planning to get a Ghost for security plus a tracker for belt & braces and insurance reasons. Do you have a reference for the Ghost being Thatcham approved, please? I've not seen that anywhere else - only the contrary.
The new ghost will fit into one of the new Thatcham categories but the V2 Ghost is TASSA Approved Install now so that will help with insurance.

What I did was select secondary immobiliser and other tracker from the lists of available options on the insurance quote.
It was not a requirement of my insurance to have a tracker, nor was I looking for discounts. They are fitter for my peace of mind.

How do I find out more about the Ghost immobiliser and a tracker (perhaps fitted at the same time), think someone said look on Facebook, do you or anyone else know which company to look for on Facebook - we live in Essex?

How do I find out more about the Ghost immobiliser and a tracker (perhaps fitted at the same time), think someone said look on Facebook, do you or anyone else know which company to look for on Facebook - we live in Essex?
This is the Facebook site.
I live in north Essex.
One last tip make sure you get a certificate of installation- for both tracker and Ghost- need it for your installation.
Finally I would opt for a tracker with a monthly fee again only if you want insurance discount :thumb

24AE4317-1517-47D4-B43C-1340E34C26D5.png

I live in north Essex.
One last tip make sure you get a certificate of installation- for both tracker and Ghost- need it for your installation.
Finally I would opt for a tracker with a monthly fee again only if you want insurance discount :thumb

View attachment 59730
We live North Essex, don’t have our California yet! Do you have the Ghost and tracker, think someone said they can fit both at the same time?

I live in north Essex.

View attachment 59730
Replied to your post and then read your comment earlier that you had Ghost and tracker fitted and insurance approved so will look into this.

Don’t forget that if you ordered Discover Nav Pro with 3 years connect plus, then on the app you can get theft notifications along with live vehicle tracking.
Thanks for this something to check with the dealer :)

Jus
Replied to your post and then read your comment earlier that you had Ghost and tracker fitted and insurance approved so will look into this.
t renewed with comfort
Got club discount plus tracker/ghost discount all for £445 unlimited personal and business mileage :thumb

I live in north Essex.

View attachment 59730
Just spoken to Ghost Installations and they have quoted £449 (inc VAT) to fit an immobiliser and if Tracker fitted at same time £100 (Global, CAT 6) monthly fee will be £12.49. I thought this sounded a good deal? don't have my California yet, (still waiting) but when I do think I will go with this offer/system, immobiliser and Tracker so can sleep well at night knowing our California is secure - hopefully

I’m with Admiral, I think the problem is that their system has the California listed under “Transporter” rather than being identified as a model in its own right. My insurance certificate shows “ Transporter California SE”.
I'm with Admiral as well and my certificate says VW California Beach! You might want to check with them?

Has anyone used Outsmart the Thief Lockdown, this sounds a fantastic product.
Recommended by Caravan club.

We always use a steering lock, home and out and about. Two sometimes. I’ve also started turning the drivers seat round just to make it look more of a faff to nick. Especially if we’re parked out near other vans.

Just spoken to Ghost Installations and they have quoted £449 (inc VAT) to fit an immobiliser and if Tracker fitted at same time £100 (Global, CAT 6) monthly fee will be £12.49. I thought this sounded a good deal? don't have my California yet, (still waiting) but when I do think I will go with this offer/system, immobiliser and Tracker so can sleep well at night knowing our California is secure - hopefully
That’s a god deal and about £75 cheaper than when I had it done.
They will demonstrate valet or servicing mode for when you leave van at airport or for a service- top tip make a note how todo itsoyiudont forget :)

Back