Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Khyam Motordome classic connection

S

syrup1971

VIP Member
Can anyone help on what is needed to connect my newly purchased (should be delivered tomorrow) Khyam motodome classic to my beach?

7286340050_d2dfeffb2a_z.jpg

Looking around the forum, seems like I could use a double 6mm-6mm Kador strip

http://www.khyam.co.uk/detail.asp?p=564

Alternatively, I am wondering if the supplied figure of eight strip would connect directly to the lip, as the Khyam site says

"The plastic 'figure of 8' connection strips included with your tent allow easy connection to vehicle gutters or 'J' rails"

or would the pole and clamp kit be the best option?

Thanks for helping me, as I am totally confused!

Chris

Chris, what is the width of the awning channel in the photo? If you want to use it as a 'drive away' awning you will need a kador strip, they come in 6mm and 4mm

The motordome's beading will fit the rubber awning rail directly. No figure 8 required.

Doesn't he Kaddor strip and the F8 give your awning a little more protection when you open the door? (Especially when you have had a beer!!)

Using the strip and figure-of-8 also means you can detach the awning to drive-away and reattach it when you park back up.

Impossible to do if you directly connect....

Not quite true in my experience shambly. My motordome tunnel is edged with a fabric beading which threads straight onto the rubber strip. You can also roll the beading into the rubber strip. So I arrive at site, set up, mark parking spot with chocks. I pull the awning out of the rubber strip, drive off. When I get back, I park to the chocks and roll the awning bead back into the rubber strip. No plastic figure 8 , no worries. Of course this depends on the VW rubber awning strip being present. Cant speak for how this works when the VW rollout awning is fitted cos I haven't got one. Graham

Graham said:
Not quite true in my experience shambly. My motordome tunnel is edged with a fabric beading which threads straight onto the rubber strip. You can also roll the beading into the rubber strip. So I arrive at site, set up, mark parking spot with chocks. I pull the awning out of the rubber strip, drive off. When I get back, I park to the chocks and roll the awning bead back into the rubber strip. No plastic figure 8 , no worries. Of course this depends on the VW rubber awning strip being present. Cant speak for how this works when the VW rollout awning is fitted cos I haven't got one. Graham

Ah yes - with the rollout awning the channel isn't flexible

Graham said:

Graham,

Does your channel look like mine in the photo? If so, hopefully I will be able to do the same, and "roll" the beading into the strip. Is it easy to roll in & out?

Chris

Yup, looks just like your photo. It's easy enough, requiring a little patience. There's a knack, use the lip on the top to open the slot a little, 6" at a time.

OK Thanks.

I am tempted to get the pole & clamp kit, as that looks like it would be very easy, not requiring any threading.

Looking at the Reimo multi-rail here

http://www.fishbrain.biz/acatalog/awnin ... ments.html

It looks identical, and that implies you can use the pole & clamp method.

This would seem to be quicker & simpler than any "threading" of figure of 8's, or putting beads into the channel.

Anyone used pole & clamp care to comment? Any disadvantages?

Thanks,

Chris

More to carry and faff with. ££. Not tried this but seems a bit unnecessary to me.

The tent arrived yesterday, and the figure of 8 it came with seemed to fit snuggly to the j-rail, just by pushing on. Think I'll give this a go & see if it works out ok.

Chris