Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Kyham Motordome Classic connecting to Cali Roll Out Awning

Blakey

Blakey

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 Beach
Hi all,

We have just bought a new Khyam Motordome Classic (2012 model). We have a 2011 Cali with the VW roll out awning.

Can anyone tell me exactly which adaptor I need to buy to connect the two please? A link where I can buy one would be doubly appreciated!

Cheers
Pete

Re: Kyham Motordome Classic connecting to Cali Roll Out Awni

Hi Martin,

I'm not really sure what I need! I do need to order it soon though. Should I take a punt on this attachment?

Cheers for the help and link - much appreciated!

Cheers
Pete

Actually the Motordome comes with a figure 8 already. So I guess I just need the Kador. Can you get that separately? And what size do I need?

Sorry for the questions - I've left this a bit late as we're going camping a week today and there's a long bank holiday in between!

Cheers
Pete

Without the "Gusset strip" you can attach the awning directly to the channel on the under side of the roll out awning's leading edge. The best way to do this isbefore you actually peg the awning fully down at the attaching side, as you need to slide the piping edge along the channel. Also if you wind the awning out a little, you will be able to tighten the whole thing up by winding it back in again.

All of this will become a little clearer once you are actually in situ.

The gusset strip makes the whole thing much easier, especially when returning to an already erect awning, as you can slide the strip between both awnings instraed of having to feed the two together whilst someone slowly moves the vehicle - again, this will be clear when you are actually needing to do it.

The whole process is if a little fidly, much easier than it sounds written down! :grin:

If you look on the Fishbrain camping website, they will advise you on the precise strip and also sell you this alone, if you have the figure of 8 channel aready.

Happy camping!

Andy

Hi Andy,

If I understand you correctly then I don't NEED the kador 6mm to Nmm connection to attach the awning to the van. Correct? Are you saying that I can directly attach the awning to the van without using the figure 8 rail? Or do I need the figure 8?

I am not going to be able to source the kador before we go camping but if I can manage without it for one trip that's great news.

I spoke to Kyham technical support today. They sell a 6mm to 6mm kador and a 6mm to 3mm kador. They say we definetly need the 6mm for the awning side and have to measuure the Van to see if we need the 6mm or 3mm at that end. From what you're saying (that I can attach direct) that implies it should be the 6mm to 6mm that I need - right?

I do appreiate all this will be loads more obvious when in situ - we've not tried to connect the two yet...

Cheers
Blakey

Blakey

Have a look here:
and scroll down to the "3m of Double beaded awning strip (Fiamma)" item. There is even a photo which shows the gusset / awning strip (this is the item you need to make life easier) attaching to the channel under your roll out awning, to which you "can" directly attach your Kyham to.

If you are attaching the Kyham directly to the roll out awning, you will not use the Fig 8 strip. But you will need it if you use a gusset / awning strip in the future.

Hopefully the photo together with my last post will help you on your first trip out. buy the awning strip though, as it really will make life much easier for future trips.

I've no idea where you are, but if you are passing Bournemouth on this trip, give me a shout and I will show you.

Good luck - happy camping!

Andy

Last edited:

Hi Pete,

I have the same problem as you had in trying to find the exact size kador connecting strip for the 2012 Khyam Motordome Classic. I contacted Khyam prior to ordering the motordome and asked the question and they came back saying a 6mm x 6mm would do. When I ordered the Motordome and kador via Somerset Camping they thought It should be 6mm x 3mm. It arrived yesterday and I have tried it and it does fit although I think a bit loose. I was reading somewhere it should be 6mm x 4mm but Khyam do not appear to sell this size. Have you resolved the problem?

Regards
Ronnie

Hi I have the motordome and used the 6mm X 6mm kador. I sourced it from Leisure Kingdom Derbyshire.

Cheers Stewart

I tried the 6mm end of the kador and it didn't fit into the C channel on the wind out awning.

Regards

Ronnie

Thanks at last a definitive answer.

Regards

Ronnie

I called Kyham Technical Support. They said you need a 6mm attachment for the Motordome - and them whatever you need for your van.

So 5mm x 3mm seems wrong Martin. Especially as you have said that the Cali is 4mm? :) Or are you supposed to have each side 1mm too thin for a snug fit?

I'm not going to be able to get one of these before Wednesday now so I'm going to hang on until someone here who's got both posts with which gusset they have...

Cheers!

P.S. Once this gets resolved, is there somewhere we can post this info so that other people with the same request can be pointed to a definitive answer?

P.P.S That links keeps getting 404 errors for me....

http://www.khyam.co.uk/detail.asp?p=703&product=Double Kador Driveaway Strip 6mm x 3mm

That's the one on the Khyam page. Very expensive though. And there is also a 6mmx6mm version.

Martin, the one you linked to (which now works for me) also includes the figure 8 strip which we dont need as the awning comes with one.

Still unsure which one to get...

Cheers
Blakey

Blakey, the channel on the wind out awning is 4mm so the beading needs to be 3mm so it will slide in with ease, I have not got a a drive away awning , I have side panels but it still uses the channel. Khyam sell the Kador on its own but it is a bit expensive compared to other places,

http://www.khyam.co.uk/detail.asp?p=703&product=Double Kador Driveaway Strip 6mm x 3mm

Hope this makes sense ..

I have just double checked the the beading on my side panels and they are 4mm and it glides into the channel with ease, I would of thought if you used 6mm it would be a bit tight in the awning channel? But if it is for a drive away awning maybe it needs to be tighter than my side panels?

I have just measured the channel on the drive away awning and the gap is 6mm so I am now thinking you could use 4mm or 5mm

All bloody confusing :crazy :crazy

P1040037.JPG

The strip that I previously linked to is the correct item. I have used it several times.

I agree, I ordered the Khyam 6mm x 3mm and it slides into the c channel in the wind out awning with ease, although it's not a tight fit, its not going to fall out. The 6mm side of the kador will not fit into the wind awning as it is to big. My California is a 2010 SE 140 TDI and not being an expert maybe the wind out awnings vary from model to model. May I also say, although the kador is not cheap at ÂŁ24.99pm it appears to be a very well made webbing design.
Can I also add that I ordered the Khyam Classic, kador and ground sheet from Somerset Camping, not only were they cheaper than Khyam ,I received the goods from Taunton to Edinburgh in a day great service

Ronnie

Thanks all. I've ordered that from Fishbrain - will let you all know if it works for me!

Thanks heaps for the advice and help and links!

Blakey

I now have the Khyam Motordome classis with figure of 8 and Kador strip and was wondering whether you need to trim down the length of them both from 3m to the length of the cali awning (which is approx 246cm). Thanks

Hi,

We used ours for the first time camping last weekend and we didn't trim ours down at all. I guess you could to make it all look a smidge neater but I don't think there is any real point other than aesthetics.

BTW, absolutely superbly happy with the Motordome. It hacked it down with rain all weekend and we didn't get anything on the interior wet at all. I put it up single handed in the pouring rain for the first time ever and it only took me 15 minutes (by which time I was drenched). It took a mere hour of sunshine (and some helpful brushing off of pooled water) for the awning to dry when it was time to go home.

The "drive away" feature worked great - 10 seconds to detach when leaving the campsite and as minute or two to reattach when returning. Superb design and easy to use. We have the Cali roll out awning which is a major help due to its ability to be wound in to tighten the awning/van flap.

One thing to consider when fitting the awning to the van is to leave the van/awning flap at an angle. We achieved this by parking not quite square to the awning and then winding the flap tight - this left it taut at one end and a bit floppy at the other which meant the considerable water which pooled on there quickly ran off the end onto the floor.

Adding the awning to our Cali was a great advancement and meant we could stick all our baby kit and other accessories outside the van and have loads of space in the van. The baby slept on the "parcel shelf" (i.e. the rear cushioned shelf which forms the back part of the downstairs bed) - which worked superbly and she seemed to love - and we were able to spend our evenings cooking and sitting chatting and sharing a wine inside the main section of the van without disturbing her but being able to see her just by peering over the rear seat. Perfect. Also the blackout blinds in the Cali were good enough that she would sleep through till morning really well too.

Back to the awning - we don't yet have the ground sheet but we do have one from an older Kyham tent which fits quite well and which we used. Not sure how the official ground sheet works but would be interested to know if anyone has one?

Hope this helps!!! (and is probably shed loads more info than you needed!!!)

Blakey

Hi..great info many thanks for the prompt response. We went for a Kampa breathable carpet which is 3m x 3m and this afternoon we performed a dry run and it all fitted well. One last query, I assume you fit the kador strip to the Cali awning and then pull up a few feet away from the Khyam and then wind out the awning before connecting the figure of 8 strip. Once fitted you wind in the awning to tighten the passage way.

We fitted figure 8 to the awning as soon as the awning was up. Then drove to a foot or two away from awning. Wind out roll out Cali awning. The slide kador strip onto both figure 8 and Cali wind out at same time - simply slides between the two really easily. Then wind awning back in to tighten.

Be careful not to pull awning too close in or the slide door will rip the awning when it opens. This meant having a small gap at the ends for us but I was happy with that.

Only used it three times (three nights) so far so it might be that I learn other tricks or ways to do this over more use.

Cheers!
Blakey

Blakey said:
We fitted figure 8 to the awning as soon as the awning was up. Then drove to a foot or two away from awning. Wind out roll out Cali awning. The slide kador strip onto both figure 8 and Cali wind out at same time - simply slides between the two really easily. Then wind awning back in to tighten.

Be careful not to pull awning too close in or the slide door will rip the awning when it opens. This meant having a small gap at the ends for us but I was happy with that.

Only used it three times (three nights) so far so it might be that I learn other tricks or ways to do this over more use.

Cheers!
Blakey

This is probably where i went wrong - the first time i attached it to the cali awning i must have wound it back in too far meaning that every time i opened or closed the sliding door it rubbed on the figure of 8 strip, causing it to damage the paintwork on the top of the door slightly.

As a result i've never attached it to the van since.

Back